National League Thread

Can't believe what I've just seen on facebook!! John Willie Lees sponsored Rochdale tonight and awarded Kairo Mitchell man of the match. Didnt we just sign an agreement with them?Two faced bastards.Loyalty?

We should tell them to fuck off and take their beer to Rochdale.As for the rumour they want their name on our shirts once again fuck off I say.

Edited by diggleblue
Added text.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:16 PM, yarddog73 said:

I'm not sure if you've managed to watch us pre season or not yet?, we look a different team, I'd say very strong defensively with plenty of options from the bench, Ogle particularly looks like the RB we've been crying out for and Manny Monthe has slotted in to a back three with Hobson and Raglan effortlessly, all three have been class in the two home friendlies and dare I say it formidable. Kitch also back to his best is a huge bonus for us.

Hudson has come back in fine form, question marks around Norman whose hardly featured pre season and when he has he struggled so we probably need to bring a keeper in, not sure what's going on with him as he had obvious ability but seems to have lost all focus.

Midfield is vastly improved, each player in there is being encouraged to get the ball down and knock it about, plenty of graft as well which will be needed. Conlon back fit and healthy with the armband is much improved, I like Kays industry and desire to make things happen, he's no shrinking violet and mixes it up as well as having the ability to play a bit as well, can play a few positions including wingback which will give us options, Chersley is just finding his feet but I'm confident he will be an upgrade on what we've seen the last couple of seasons and Lundstrum is growing in confidence and showing the signs of the player we know is in there, he still needs to be braver on the ball because he has the ability to both find a pass and drive us up the pitch when required.

Upfront would be the only worry, none of the fit strikers are really firing yet and there are still question marks over each of them, Fondop has done a job to a degree, Willoughby and Reid just haven't got going yet so it's crucial we get Norwood and Garner back in to the mix or even dip in to the transfer market if the right player comes along.

I'm far more positive after seeing us this preseason, we look a decent side and are probably only a couple of signings away from being a very good one for the level, we've controlled games against better opposition for long spells, created plenty of chances and looked far more accomplished already than anything Unsworth put out, honestly with a bit of luck and an half decent start I think we will be right in the mixer, we look professional, slick and right at it going in to this campaign and I can't wait for the season to get started, even at £5.25 a can.

Some fall from grace since this, Faz...

43 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Some fall from grace since this, Faz...

I think this proves that Braintree were absolutely piss poor and winning the first two games has clouded one’s judgement.

I have to admit I was similarly impressed early doors but it’s been downhill since.
In the last 6 games we have been shocking!!

44 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I think this proves that Braintree were absolutely piss poor and winning the first two games has clouded one’s judgement.

I have to admit I was similarly impressed early doors but it’s been downhill since.
In the last 6 games we have been shocking!!

Good job we got that fluke goal against Wealdstone... 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Forest Green dispatch the world beaters Fylde 3-0 and had the luxury of starting Quigely and Cardwell on the bench. Quigely was actually unused.

We're miles behind aren't we.

FGR are the going to be team to beat now.

Played 8. 6 of those away, w3 d2 l1. Their home record is p2 w2.

Their defeat at Barnet was only settled in injury time, and after FGR had a player sent off earlier.

Sercombe, Tozer, Cardwell, Quigley & McCann could walk straight into any NL team on their own. Only consolation is that if Aldershot can put 3 past them, there's hope.

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Played 8. 6 of those away, w3 d2 l1. Their home record is p2 w2.

Their defeat at Barnet was only settled in injury time, and after FGR had a player sent off earlier.

Sercombe, Tozer, Cardwell, Quigley & McCann could walk straight into any NL team on their own. Only consolation is that if Aldershot can put 3 past them, there's hope.

I've backed them at 11's and suspect they are shorter now, dispatched Fylde with ease and rested players.

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Yes, I'll be surprised if they're not the team that finishes top. Barnet and Gateshead should be just behind them and then it's a bunfight between about a dozen teams to who finishes in the remaining spots. 

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yes, I'll be surprised if they're not the team that finishes top. Barnet and Gateshead should be just behind them and then it's a bunfight between about a dozen teams to who finishes in the remaining spots. 

Think Dale and York will be in the mix as well.

43 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Maybe an obvious statement but we have to get 3rd. Makes the playoffs so much easier

Looking at the points per game after 8 games, the top 5 all have at least 2 per game.

If the season follows a similar pattern then we may need 90 points to be anywhere near the top 4 or 5.

It's aslo worth pointing out we have only played Gateshead out of the current top 9 sides, and have beaten only the sides in 21st and 18th positions.

Could be another long season....

Edited by Londonboy

1 minute ago, penrhyn said:

was unsure where to drop this , so I will put it here .

Good for him. The difference between Oldham and Barnet is that they actually have a plan to progress the club and win games to entertain the fans. We do not. 

Dont think there is any denying we have a plan as a club .Lots of differences between the two clubs sure we have the same as you say plan to win games and entertain fans . Whilst Barnet have won five they have lost three . So not all plain sailing for the most fancied team at the start of the season .

7 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Dont think there is any denying we have a plan as a club .Lots of differences between the two clubs sure we have the same as you say plan to win games and entertain fans . Whilst Barnet have won five they have lost three . So not all plain sailing for the most fancied team at the start of the season .

They will be miles ahead of us by 2025 once again. They have loads of injured at the moment. For us though i dont see any progress being made. No sellable assets, Poor performances, Poor results, A manager that is happy with a point every game. I hope Mellon and the club prove me wrong but right now its not good enough. 

Unbelievably, I agree with eyresy on this. It's pretty surprising how many people saying how they'd appreciate that sort of honesty from a manager. What total bollocks! Even the slightest mention by the manager of anything other than perfect behaviour from our fans has people in meltdown.

Interesting point he makes about character and how he doesn't just want it from the players, he wants it from the fans too. Quite apt for us at this point with a lot of declaring the season over going on, sack the manager, get rid of all the players, recruitment shite, board shite, goalkeeper coach shite, pies shite, beer shite and so on. After 8 games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Unbelievably, I agree with eyresy on this. It's pretty surprising how many people saying how they'd appreciate that sort of honesty from a manager. What total bollocks! Even the slightest mention by the manager of anything other than perfect behaviour from our fans has people in meltdown.

Interesting point he makes about character and how he doesn't just want it from the players, he wants it from the fans too. Quite apt for us at this point with a lot of declaring the season over going on, sack the manager, get rid of all the players, recruitment shite, board shite, goalkeeper coach shite, pies shite, beer shite and so on. After 8 games.

I dont think the reaction would be that bad if we was winning most games like Barnet.