National League Thread

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Interesting point he makes about character and how he doesn't just want it from the players, he wants it from the fans too. Quite apt for us at this point with a lot of declaring the season over going on, sack the manager, get rid of all the players, recruitment shite, board shite, goalkeeper coach shite, pies shite, beer shite and so on. After 8 games.

Most of which is true, we can all pretend everything is fine and dandy or we can say it as we see it.

Mellon has certainly had his unhinged Brennan moments, it's partly the reason our crowds are down this season because him finding someone else to blame for almost everything is getting almost insufferable, at some point he'll have to own it as will whoevers making the decisions at board level because the next stop is fans will just stop going it's as simple as that, I stayed at home Tuesday and watched it on the telly and I think I'll just do more of that, it's less painful for a start and far less expensive.

41 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Most of which is true, we can all pretend everything is fine and dandy or we can say it as we see it.

Mellon has certainly had his unhinged Brennan moments, it's partly the reason our crowds are down this season because him finding someone else to blame for almost everything is getting almost insufferable, at some point he'll have to own it as will whoevers making the decisions at board level because the next stop is fans will just stop going it's as simple as that, I stayed at home Tuesday and watched it on the telly and I think I'll just do more of that, it's less painful for a start and far less expensive.

There's no pretending everything is fine and dandy from me. I've put my criticisms on here when I've felt it warranted, especially after the last 2 games as we've definitely had issues. But I just don't things are as disastrous as some are making out. If we had been better at taking chances we could be on or near 17 points and then the whole outlook changes, irrespective of performances.

On calling out moaners, I don't think it's helpful even if the manager is right. It's something that happens, it's something that I think as society has got worse. But I don't see really how football managers calling it out helps, I'd rather they just use it to motivate their teams. Except Barnet. I'm happy for him to do it and cause issues so they drop down the table 🤞

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If we had been better at taking chances we could be on or near 17 points and then the whole outlook changes, irrespective of performances.

That argument carries no credence with me, that’s just football.

Equally there have been chances missed by the teams playing against us this season too!

Missing chances has been part of the problem but it goes far deeper than that unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

There's no pretending everything is fine and dandy from me. I've put my criticisms on here when I've felt it warranted, especially after the last 2 games as we've definitely had issues. But I just don't things are as disastrous as some are making out. If we had been better at taking chances we could be on or near 17 points and then the whole outlook changes, irrespective of performances.

On calling out moaners, I don't think it's helpful even if the manager is right. It's something that happens, it's something that I think as society has got worse. But I don't see really how football managers calling it out helps, I'd rather they just use it to motivate their teams. Except Barnet. I'm happy for him to do it and cause issues so they drop down the table 🤞

When Barnet are pulling in 900 home fans off the back of a top three finish last season I suspect they don't have too much to lose by going down that route, not many would get away with that behaviour particularly as it comes across aggressive and prickly at best.

Mellon says the same but in a more cryptic style, some have read in to it and now stay away, personally I prefer a leader to galvanise and rally not fracture, disrupt and behave defensively but that's just me, ultimately we want the same thing and if he gets us there I don't really care how he behaves although many managers now on the back of social media give time to and feel the need to take up the position of captious critic, over analysing and trying to pull fan behaviour apart, 99% of it is dictated by what's happening on the pitch and the other 1% who are bellends that exist at every club, it's not just systematic at our club or even NL the games been swamped with armchair managers since the beginning of time, even Joe Royle had his critics back in the day I can assure you of that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That argument carries no credence with me, that’s just football.

Equally there have been chances missed by the teams playing against us this season too!

Missing chances has been part of the problem but it goes far deeper than that unfortunately.

Obviously creating chances but missing them ultimately doth butter no parsnips when it comes to league position. But I think it's reasonable to say that in a number of the draws we've had this season, we've spurned some really great chances while not conceding many if any similar such chances at the other end. It doesn't mean creating but missing chances isn't a problem - it's something we need sorting out quickly. If we fix that then I don't think some of the other problems that get talked about are as serious as it might seem now.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Our fans support at games has been fantastic this season. We could moan, but we haven't. 

Regarding social media, I think fans are allowed to have a rant somewhere. Picking on individuals is poor form but you get dickheads in all walks of life. You've just got to wonder if you really give a shit about what they think...

• Like 2

Just watched the second half of Harrogate vs Doncaster in a boozer. I say watched - had my eye on it for about 5 - 10 mins.. the quality is nowhere near superior.

Doncaster treated the ball as if they had just been at an Oldham Athletic ball control clinic. 

There is no gap. Get out of this division, at pace, and we will bounce through. 

To next season.

Edited by GKing521

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Just watched the second half of Harrogate vs Doncaster in a boozer. I say watched - had my eye on it for about 5 - 10 mins.. the quality is nowhere near superior.

Doncaster treated the ball as if they had just been at an Oldham Athletic ball control clinic. 

To next season.

Something to look forward too in six years then. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Feel sorry for Mellon, so many people have it in for him and want him to fail.

It's a shame as I think he has the potential to take us back to the football league.

Hopefully he proves them wrong and they'll all be singing his name on Yorkshire Street .... fickle fuckers. 

It's important to shut out the noise on social media. I mean it's sounds abit hypocritical of me to say this but I hope the players turn away from social media and switch off from it. They will know full well how well they are doing they have a dressing room of their teammates and a team of coaching staff who will know more than us who will be feeding back to them what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong. They won't need social media to tell them that.

As for Mellon it's about results if we start winning games then the pressure will be relieved quickly. The fans have generally been very supportive at the games and to be fair. I'd rather it stayed that way, because the players can shut off social media it's abit harder when they are playing in the games the players need our support for thr 90 minutes they are wearing the blue/tangerine/white shirts. If it isn't good enough a good boo at the end of the game is fair enough. But I've not heard that this season yet. 

The important thing is for the players and coaching staff is that there is a long way to go this season and we can get better. A couple of wins could really build confidence and change the narrative. For me Im still very optimistic that we can get out of this rut we are in, and have a successful season. We haven't seen a fully fit, full strength side yet this season so I'm holding onto that belief that we are yet to play our best form.

The concerns being expressed have got some justification but all possibilities are still very much on the table right now.

A long way to go yet keep the faith.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Feel sorry for Mellon, so many people have it in for him and want him to fail.

It's a shame as I think he has the potential to take us back to the football league.

Hopefully he proves them wrong and they'll all be singing his name on Yorkshire Street .... fickle fuckers. 

I'd suggest no more than an handful have it in for him, I'd love nothing more than for him to lead us to promotion as for wanting him to fail he's been our best backed manager in the past 20 years bar none and for me appears almost immune from criticism, he's got full authority over most football related matters and on that basis you'd expect him to take some responsibility?.

Fucking hell I can think of some right poor bastards who got it from near on day one, Unsworth, Kelly, Curle and Dunn all spring to mind. Mellon's had a free ride in my opinion and it's good to see him under no pressure from the stands.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd suggest no more than an handful have it in for him, I'd love nothing more than for him to lead us to promotion as for wanting him to fail he's been our best backed manager in the past 20 years bar none and for me appears almost immune from criticism, he's got full authority over most football related matters and on that basis you'd expect him to take some responsibility?.

Fucking hell I can think of some right poor bastards who got it from near on day one, Unsworth, Kelly, Curle and Dunn all spring to mind. Mellon's had a free ride in my opinion and it's good to see him under no pressure from the stands.

I’m not having unsworth on that list! Half the mess we’re in is down to him, also adds to the reason Mellon is struggling. If we weren’t loaning out half a team and paying their wages, we would have a better team now. And he had the final say on transfers, so all that tripe were paying off is down to him.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I’m not having unsworth on that list! Half the mess we’re in is down to him, also adds to the reason Mellon is struggling. If we weren’t loaning out half a team and paying their wages, we would have a better team now. And he had the final say on transfers, so all that tripe were paying off is down to him.

Fair point.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 9:59 PM, GKing521 said:

To next season.

Yes, but haven't you already written off next season?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

In this bonkers League Gateshead currently getting dicked 6-1 away at Dagenham. 

Had we broke through earlier in the second half against them I wouldn’t at all be surprised to finish with a similar score line. It’s what this league is all about. Tough nuts to crack but once you get in early enough and get on top; you can exploit weaknesses quite easily.

We should have 6 more points than we have.

Is it breathtaking football? No

Is it an improvement on last season? Yes

A bit more time IMO, but as I said last week, I don’t think we are too far away from handing out some spankings 

• Like 2