National League Thread

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Some interesting games in the National League this weekend:

Aldershot v York

Eastleigh v Rochdale

Gateshead v Forest Green

The most important thing though is that we get the three points at home to Yeovil 👍

3 away wins 15/1, fill your boots.

Chuck us in as well 28/1, thank me later.

Edited by yarddog73

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Mischievous post alert... are top of the table York still using statsbomb?!

I did Google this and came across a couple of LinkedIn posts saying that York used Data driven analysis alongside watching players in person to recruit players this summer one being Alex Hunt. So it's fair to say they are using data analysis to recruit. It's going to become more common for clubs at this level to use it the clubs that don't use it will no doubt get left behind. But there will still very much be a place for watching players in person.

Reading an extract from the book the other week by Ian Graham Liverpools former head of data the titled How to win the premier league, he said about how the data showed that the signing of Christian Benteke would be a bad signing as the data showed he wouldn't fit in at Liverpool, he was right. He did then say though that the signings that did work for them were the ones that the data team, the Scouting team, and the management team all agreed on. 

It's here to stay people shouldn't be scared of it it will come with its challenges it won't get everything right but we should see it as an opportunity. I'm sure there was a time when everyone was cynical to the Internet yet here we are all talking to each other through it.

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I did Google this and came across a couple of LinkedIn posts saying that York used Data driven analysis alongside watching players in person to recruit players this summer one being Alex Hunt. So it's fair to say they are using data analysis to recruit. It's going to become more common for clubs at this level to use it the clubs that don't use it will no doubt get left behind. But there will still very much be a place for watching players in person.

Reading an extract from the book the other week by Ian Graham Liverpools former head of data the titled How to win the premier league, he said about how the data showed that the signing of Christian Benteke would be a bad signing as the data showed he wouldn't fit in at Liverpool, he was right. He did then say though that the signings that did work for them were the ones that the data team, the Scouting team, and the management team all agreed on. 

It's here to stay people shouldn't be scared of it it will come with its challenges it won't get everything right but we should see it as an opportunity. I'm sure there was a time when everyone was cynical to the Internet yet here we are all talking to each other through it.

Any data/stats based analysis that was used to identify Joe Nuttall as a player we should be paying a transfer fee and substantial wages to needs putting in the bin - just saying.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Any data/stats based analysis that was used to identify Joe Nuttall as a player we should be paying a transfer fee and substantial wages to needs putting in the bin - just saying.

Even worse if the manager and recruitment team also agreed he was a player we would need. That 1 decision is a sackable offence in itself! 

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm fairly certain that Nuttall was purely an Unsworth infatuation based on his performances for Blackburn against his U23 Everton side around 2018/19.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

So when the signing is bad are we saying it's down to data analysis and when the signing is good it's down to scouting is that the assumption we are making here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

So when the signing is bad are we saying it's down to data analysis and when the signing is good it's down to scouting is that the assumption we are making here?

I don't suppose we'll ever know unless Unsworth himself tells us why/how he was brought in.

I'm not sure what method we currently use although I suspect Mellon is having the final decision on who he works with.

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't suppose we'll ever know unless Unsworth himself tells us why/how he was brought in.

I'm not sure what method we currently use although I suspect Mellon is having the final decision on who he works with.

I think we can conclude Joe Nuttall wasn't a good signing, whatever method we used I don't know but I think their has been a learning curve here.

Looking at the signings he's made which Mellon has to sign it off then it looks like he's prepared to use his contacts for the likes of Monthe and Caprice and use the scouts/data for others. Ogle has been on our radar for over a year so I'm guessing he took the advice of the scouts/data team on that one. Either way I think we recruited better this summer than last.

53 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Definitely a Thompson signing as well. Played for Blackpool when he was there I think. A monumental failure signing

Fair enough, makes sense. Worth noting that during the Blackburn Nuttall period Unsworth won the league with Bass Sambou leading the line which probably does impact your ability to contextualise what good looks like (to steal a phrase).

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Definitely a Thompson signing as well. Played for Blackpool when he was there I think. A monumental failure signing

Nah, I got it that Unsworth wanted Nuttall but couldn't get him. So then Thompson offered him Reid, who we signed. Nuttall then came available and Unsworth was desperate to get him...

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The credit he used to give him in post-match interviews, even after he'd played poorly, always suggested to me he was trying to justify the money spent.