Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

I think we will see more signings

2 permanent 

2 quality loanees 

We are a million miles away from previous seasons at this stage, can't fault the recruitment one bit nor the approach to those who may not fit in to what we are trying to build, I'd rather wait a week or two than rush a signing through if better becomes available. 

I think some of our fans will be pleasantly surprised by our new signings all of them are an upgrade on what we had, Lundstrum and Ward will give the team the energy and drive it lacked last season, personally I'd like the next couple to be proven a bit higher especially the right back, someone like Elliot Bennett fits the bill who Shrewsbury have released and replaced him with Winchester, I have faith in the recruitment process and it appears to be being done in a considered way for a change, hopefully we will see the benefit of this at the start of the season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I keep reading similar to this but I don't get it.

We've added two midfielders from our own league who don't look like they'll add any significant quality, Hobson (a move that was possibly forced due to Yarney leaving) and an exciting, but very obvious, striker from the league below and are still without a right back and look very thin on the ground in defence generally.

Other than being done quite early by the standards we're used to how does that represent "a lot more structure than previous seasons"....? 

Have you seen Ward and Lundstram often enough to warrant your statement about not adding quality to the squad? Both are a good age, with previous clubs sad to see them go, and I doubt they’ll be on huge wages. I agree with the above, that they appear to be on a upward trajectory whilst being relatively low risk in that they won’t be on a fortune.

Hobson was in team of the season, and is another one where his previous club didn’t want him to leave. 
I actually prefer this strategy to signing 30+ year olds with experience who are looking for a pay day, ala Rooney and lots of others in previous years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

We've added two midfielders from our own league who don't look like they'll add any significant quality, Hobson (a move that was possibly forced due to Yarney leaving) and an exciting, but very obvious, striker from the league below and are still without a right back and look very thin on the ground in defence generally.

Other than being done quite early by the standards we're used to how does that represent "a lot more structure than previous seasons"....? 

What makes you think that Lundstrum and Ward don't add any extra Quality? I think both will do really well.

30 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's June

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

There's been quite a few recent seasons where we could barely raise an XI a week before the season started

With all this talk of improved structure, stability, Unsworth in/out, new players better than/no better than what we have, it would be interesting to see where we, as fans, in one word are right now regarding our expectation for the season ahead. No elaboration, no reasoning, no if/then/else, just a one word reply using either optimistic  or pessimistic.

Me?

Optimistic

Edited by L1onheartNew
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There's been quite a few recent seasons where we could barely raise an XI a week before the season started

Exactly. We haven't even started pre-season and there's 4 good players come in. We already had a decent squad together anyway so there's no need to rush into signings, and there's no transfer deadline. Why are some people so reactionary 😄

It's the best position we've been in pre-season for a long time

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

If you really believe your last sentence you would appear to be in a minority of one !! 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I hope they're really good but I don't see how/why Lundstram & Ward will be any better than what we've got/what they're replacing.

Shelton & Sheron are both better players on paper and look how bad they've been on grass (Sheron did come on a bit to be fair).

They all look like cheap gambles and we've gone from signing Conference players who'd previously had success in the league (which didn't work) to Conference players who haven't had success in this league. I don't follow the logic in why that would result in us doing better.

I like the signing of Willoughby. Someone who could be a goalscorer & hero is a gamble that's always worth taking but, again - he is a gamble.

If Hobson isn't any good we'll be very short in defence. Especially if Hogan continues to be injured as often as last season. 

We still need the 3 or 4 known quantities we needed back in August for me to go into the season with genuine optimism rather than just blind hope. 

Or directions to where I can get some of the Kool-Aid a lot seem to be drinking. 

This season is a huge opportunity to get promoted from what currently looks a weak league (it might not be next season, or the season after that) and, you can never guarantee it but, we're not showing anything like the intent I thought we would to give ourselves the best possible chance.

I don’t really agree with much of this. 

“If Hobson isn’t any good…” a particular highlight 👍

56 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

With all this talk of improved structure, stability, Unsworth in/out, new players better than/no better than what we have, it would be interesting to see where we, as fans, in one word are right now regarding our expectation for the season ahead. No elaboration, no reasoning, no if/then/else, just a one word reply using either optimistic  or pessimistic.

Me?

Optimistic

Upbeat

Or 

Unanxious (for the first time in...ever?)

59 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Me?

Optimistic

Bullish

I feel this will be first time in over 20 years I will be going into a season Expecting not hoping (or more accurately clutching at straws) that we will be in the promotion mix come the end of the season.

Re Hobson from a proper source.

Yeah hobson. It was a weird one cos he divided opinion amongst fans and even when some of the boys have come to watch they didn’t think he was good which i could never understand. All of us in the team rate him highly and he made team of the season for our league so definitely a good signing in my opinion

38 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Bullish

I feel this will be first time in over 20 years I will be going into a season Expecting not hoping (or more accurately clutching at straws) that we will be in the promotion mix come the end of the season.

I've only ever backed us to win the league once. 1991, 14/1.

I've steamed in this time.

Q: Have we made any enquiries about loan players yet?

DU: No. I think it was necessary last year when I came in, the squad in my opinion at the time needed major heart surgery. The way we did that last season was loaning players. Some came off, some didn't. The health of the club now is that we don't need to enter that market. We might need to but what we've targeted is a smaller nucleus of players. I want a core group to work with from day one. At the moment we haven't looked at (loans)

37 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Q: Have we made any enquiries about loan players yet?

DU: No. I think it was necessary last year when I came in, the squad in my opinion at the time needed major heart surgery. The way we did that last season was loaning players. Some came off, some didn't. The health of the club now is that we don't need to enter that market. We might need to but what we've targeted is a smaller nucleus of players. I want a core group to work with from day one. At the moment we haven't looked at (loans)

Didn't he say we might sign a couple of loanees last week?

6 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Comment at 8.24 by DU, in response to the question of a right back coming in, basically just talks about will Sutton 

This year I felt we had a real chance of promotion but when your manager wants to "develope" a good young c.b into a right back you know you've no chance.