MATCH: Gateshead (H) 23/12/23 ๐ŸŽ„

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If it doesn't need wholesale charges then they might as well as stuck with Thompsonย  because Mellon hasn't made the blindest bit of difference so far..ย 

ย 

Mellon will make a difference once he's allowed to build his own squad.

Watched the game today. 2nd best all over the pitch.

They passed us off the park . Their number 4 had all the space and time he wanted, we didn't get near them.ย 

Sutton, pathetic as usual, he's not a RB.

Hudson, better keeper on the bench ??

Moore, can't control the ball at all.

McGahey, no midfielder, what's his purpose. ??

Hogan, a liability.

Many others heartless and not good enough.

Mellon has a enormous task to get this lot into top 7.ย 

Needs to signย  some midfielder who can control the gameย  and compete.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TJ1952 said:

Watched the game today. 2nd best all over the pitch.

They passed us off the park . Their number 4 had all the space and time he wanted, we didn't get near them.ย 

Sutton, pathetic as usual, he's not a RB.

Hudson, better keeper on the bench ??

Moore, can't control the ball at all.

McGahey, no midfielder, what's his purpose. ??

Hogan, a liability.

Many others heartless and not good enough.

Mellon has a enormous task to get this lot into top 7.ย 

Needs to signย  some midfielder who can control the gameย  and compete.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Hudson shouldโ€™ve done better for the initial shot for the second goal in my opinion.ย 
Hogan gave the ball away too many times.ย 
If Mellon prefers the 3-5-2 formation, Iโ€™d like to see Sutton in the back 3 with Hobson and Raglan, once weโ€™ve signed that elusive right wingback/right back.

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

ย 

Mellon will make a difference once he's allowed to build his own squad.

ย 

Giving Gateshead the freedom of the freedom of the park wasn't good preparation,ย  coaching or management.

Hadn't he watched them before?ย 

Bringing on Kofi Moore for his debut in an unfamiliar position was even worse.

I don't think he knows what to do with this lot and his only hope is to ship out the vast majority and start again.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

Just now, BP1960 said:

ย 

Giving Gateshead the freedom of the freedom of the park wasn't good preparation,ย  coaching or management.

Bring on Kofi Moore for his debut in an unfamiliar position was even worse.

I don't think he knows what to do with this lot and his only hope is to ship out the vast majority and start again.

With these players at Mellonโ€™s disposal, if weโ€™d have played a hard press all over the pitch, Gateshead wouldโ€™ve played the ball around us and weโ€™dโ€™ve got pummelled by at least 4.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

Bringing on Kofi Moore for his debut in an unfamiliar position was even worse.

ย 

Well, yes.

ย 

But it's a familiar story with these players - sitting off and letting the opposition have the play is something which they need "uncoaching" from as it's something Unsworth implemented from day one.ย 

ย 

ย 

2 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

With these players at Mellonโ€™s disposal, if weโ€™d have played a hard press all over the pitch, Gateshead wouldโ€™ve played the ball around us and weโ€™dโ€™ve got pummelled by at least 4.

Not necessarily right. ย It is easy to pass past a player standing 3 m away. ย If that player is closing, he is a bigger barrier and makes me rush. ย Itโ€™s not rocket science.

19 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Which could be a long time off, right now.
I'd get a sports psychologist as soon as possible and find out why they cannot perform at BP.

ย 

Didn't Barry Fry piss in the four corners of the pitch at Peterborough to try and lift their poor home form?

ย 

Worth Mickey giving it a go...

• Like 2

It also seems odd that Josh Lundstram was National League Player of the Season last year, but is now part of the worst midfield in the division.

ย 

What's gone wrong there?ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by JoeP

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Not necessarily right. ย It is easy to pass past a player standing 3 m away. ย If that player is closing, he is a bigger barrier and makes me rush. ย Itโ€™s not rocket science.

From what I saw, the plan was to allow them possession until approaching the final third, then close them down which to a degree was working first half. Then we conceded within 3 minutes of the second half starting and it went to shit.

ย 

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It also seems odd that Josh Lundstram was National League Player of the Season last year, but is now part of the worst midfield in the division.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Even Jude Bellingham would struggle alongside Sheron and McGahey...ย 

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It also seems odd that Josh Lundtram was National League Player of the Season last year, but is now part of the worst midfield in the division.

ย 

ย 

Mellon says he's not fit and have to look after him.

2 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

From what I saw, the plan was to allow them possession until approaching the final third, then close them down which to a degree was working first half. Then we conceded within 3 minutes of the second half starting and it went to shit.

ย 

If thatโ€™s true that it was the plan, itโ€™s embarrassing. ย We are the home side

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Eh? No he wasn't? Where you getting that from?ย 

ย 

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/vanarama-national-league-big-winners-announced-76017

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Something wrong with a team when they throw in Jekyll and Hyde performances, what are we doing pre match at home because something clearly needs to change. No urgency and I've not seen a decent first 30 at home from us all season.

ย 

Mellon going on about fucking defending at home to Gateshead ๐Ÿ™ˆ yet keeps picking the same donkies every week and I include Hudson in that.

I'll bite. What did Hudson do wrong?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pidge said:

If thatโ€™s true that it was the plan, itโ€™s embarrassing. ย We are the home side

I agree with you. But until we bring in whatโ€™s required in midfield, i.e. 2 athletic wingers and a ball playing central midfielder to dominate opposition, weโ€™ll be a counter-attacking team giving teams most of the possession.

7 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Eh? No he wasn't? Where you getting that from?ย 

ย 

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/vanarama-national-league-big-winners-announced-76017

ย 

Thought I saw a BBC article saying he was, but it might have been talking about him winning fans, players and Manager's Player of the Year at Alty..

ย 

Sorry..

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Poor post match interview by Mellon, he picked a back 5 at home and blames them, but never mentioned the poor technical quality and non closing down by his midfield.

ย 

ย 

In an interview heโ€™s obviously not going to say the same thing as he said to the players in the dressing room!

He will know full well a fair percentage of these players are technically inept and not of the required standard and Iโ€™m pretty sure weโ€™ll see movement both in and out very soon!

ย 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He did BP.ย 
ย 

He literally said weโ€™ve got players who donโ€™t want to press, or demand the ball.ย 

ย 

But he still plays them when he's had plenty of time to bring in midfielders, wingers and a right back on loan.

He seems to play 3 DCs because he's got to appease them. One of Raglan or Hogan needs to be dropped.

ย 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

ย 

Thought I saw a BBC article saying he was, but it might have been talking about him winning fans, players and Manager's Player of the Year at Alty..

ย 

Sorry..

Thinking about it, he won this which is a bit misleading. I think its National League PotY but just for clubs in the North West. Can see how that would be confusingย 

ย 

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/november/27102023-josh-lundstram-award/

ย 

ย 

• Like 1