Micky Mellon Sack Watch

22 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I was replying to @yarddog73 on another thread about Lee Johnson and his win% and I'm afraid it's sent me into nerd mode so I've looked at the win % (league games only) of all our managers from Powerpoint Man onwards, to give a bit of context to the debate on MM.

Games Win %

Steve Thompson         6       50.00

Pete Wild*                   15      46.67

John Sheridan**         22     40.91

Lee Johnson               103    34.95

Harry Kewell               32      34.38

Micky Mellon              38      34.21

Frankie Bunn              24      33.33

John Sheridan***       31      32.26

David Unsworth         46      30.43

Dino Maamria             28      28.57

Richie Wellens            37      27.03

John Sheridan****     30      26.67

Keith Curle                  32      25.00

Dean Holden               15      20.00

Darren Kelly                 7       14.29

Paul Scholes                7       14.29

Stephen Robinson      24      12.50

David Dunn                  17       11.76

Laurent Banide             9        11.11

Selim Benachour          7        0.00

* agggregate of two spells as both were in the same season

** Jan - May 2016

*** Jan - Sep 2017

**** Jan - Sep 2022

20 managers in 10 years, absolutely incredible. There are some absolute turkeys in that list, not helped of course by Corney's later years and then the Chuckle Brothers. If we ignore Thompson, who only had 6 games, then MM is 5th on the list. His win % was far more impressive but as @yarddog73 and others have pointed out, 2 wins from the last 18 is really poor. I'm for sticking with MM but the pressure on him will soon be ratcheting up if he doesn't start winning games very soon. That said, and to state the obvious, there's not much point changing managers every few months if you can't find a successful one! 

We really are miles off it at the moment.

The average number of games won over the past 4 seasons to finish top of the NL is 30 so a 65% win rate.

The average number of games won by teams finishing between 2nd and 7th over the past 4 seasons is 22 so a 48% win rate.

Our win rate the last 2 seasons has been 35% and 33%....

We are currently at 28%.

These are just the plain facts. 

I'd say both Unsworth and Mellon have underachieved big time based on the budgets and support they have been given.

Yes both under difficult circumstances but still an underachievement.

Big 3 months ahead I think for the club.

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I didn't think he was the right man when appointed and still don't. But I'd still stick with him now because someone has to be given a chance at building something and I can't really envisage him being disastrous 

The most attacking manager was Kewell, but his formations were at times bizarre. 

4 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

As for the last sentence 

My guess would be to let him see out the remainder of his contract come what may

Depends on attendances if that happens, If down to 4,000 the board will probably react. 

32 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I was replying to @yarddog73 on another thread about Lee Johnson and his win% and I'm afraid it's sent me into nerd mode so I've looked at the win % (league games only) of all our managers from Powerpoint Man onwards, to give a bit of context to the debate on MM.

Games Win %

Steve Thompson         6       50.00

Pete Wild*                   15      46.67

John Sheridan**         22     40.91

Lee Johnson               103    34.95

Harry Kewell               32      34.38

Micky Mellon              38      34.21

Frankie Bunn              24      33.33

John Sheridan***       31      32.26

David Unsworth         46      30.43

Dino Maamria             28      28.57

Richie Wellens            37      27.03

John Sheridan****     30      26.67

Keith Curle                  32      25.00

Dean Holden               15      20.00

Darren Kelly                 7       14.29

Paul Scholes                7       14.29

Stephen Robinson      24      12.50

David Dunn                  17       11.76

Laurent Banide             9        11.11

Selim Benachour          7        0.00

* agggregate of two spells as both were in the same season

** Jan - May 2016

*** Jan - Sep 2017

**** Jan - Sep 2022

20 managers in 10 years, absolutely incredible. There are some absolute turkeys in that list, not helped of course by Corney's later years and then the Chuckle Brothers. If we ignore Thompson, who only had 6 games, then MM is 5th on the list. His win % was far more impressive but as @yarddog73 and others have pointed out, 2 wins from the last 18 is really poor. I'm for sticking with MM but the pressure on him will soon be ratcheting up if he doesn't start winning games very soon. That said, and to state the obvious, there's not much point changing managers every few months if you can't find a successful one! 

Good post. 

I do understand the argument for building with a manager, and in an ideal world I’d love Mellon or any other manager to be with us 4/5 years and take us through the leagues. 

But two things have to happen. 

You need see a gradual improvement in results. (Still mixed overall)

And therefore. 

You need to see a consistency in performance that you will give you the belief that results will improve. (Our performance’s are patchy) 

He’s been here a year- and done ok. 

Everything he says and repeats in interviews I agree with, but the same patterns are there so where do you go from there? MM is identifying exactly what we need but it isn’t happening. . . 

How long is ok- ok? 

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We really are miles off it at the moment.

The average number of games won over the past 4 seasons to finish top of the NL is 30 so a 65% win rate.

The average number of games won by teams finishing between 2nd and 7th over the past 4 seasons is 22 so a 48% win rate.

Our win rate the last 2 seasons has been 35% and 33%....

We are currently at 28%.

These are just the plain facts. 

I'd say both Unsworth and Mellon have underachieved big time based on the budgets and support they have been given.

Yes both under difficult circumstances but still an underachievement.

Big 3 months ahead I think for the club.

Exactly. 

DU was just shit, are you underachieving if you’re not very good in the first place? 

But Mellon is a completely different story. His CV speaks for itself, it’s why he was hired. 

For a manager of his calibre and CV to not have the identity he says he wants in the team after a year. . .

You have to say is poor. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Exactly. 

DU was just shit, are you underachieving if you’re not very good in the first place? 

But Mellon is a completely different story. His CV speaks for itself, it’s why he was hired. 

For a manager of his calibre and CV to not have the identity he says he wants in the team after a year. . .

You have to say is poor. 

You've spent the last two months telling us you can see what he's trying to do and that we are improving...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I don't think they're far off, but keep being announced as over 5 and a half thousand...

Can't see it in the depths of winter Wealdstone at home, unless we are going well 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Exactly. 

You have to say is poor. 

I've only been to the Fylde game this season so many of you are better positioned to comment, but surely we have to give him some time to get it right. It's very early days in the season. 

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

You've spent the last two months telling us you can see what he's trying to do and that we are improving...

You’ve just made that up because you’re still sore about us beating ‘the worst side we’ve ever played’ Braintree (who aren’t in the bottom four and have only lost twice) 

Back in the real world, you call what you see. For the first 3 games our performances were very good. Since then we are very patchy to say the least.  My views will change according to performances and results- that’s the fickle nature of football and judging managers. 

I’d also much rather judge on what I see, than hate a manager before a ball is kicked, because he played for a rival 30 years ago. That is weird. 😉

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I don't think they're far off, but keep being announced as over 5 and a half thousand...

If you look at the Joe Royle stand on the ticketing website as a ST option the vast majority of seats in the top half of the middle 4 sections (other than corporate/100 club) are taken. If you look on the day of the game there are loads that are unoccupied.

A lot of ST holders are not turning up to every game but are counted as attending because the seats are paid for.

As an example I’m away until 18th Oct. and also away for Christmas so will miss 9 home games. My mate in the next seat works on a Saturday so will only get to one or two other than Tuesday night games.

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Out of our last 22 home games in all competitions going back to York at home in Thompsons last home game we've won a grand total of 4 fixtures under Mellon in all competitions, it's little wonder fans are staying away particularly as some of them were being blamed in part for that record, an 18% win ratio is not good at any level let alone at home from a team supposedly chasing promotion.

On the plus side we are at 25% this season, incremental improvement and all that.

Just now, dannyboy55555 said:

I've only been to the Fylde game this season so many of you are better positioned to comment, but surely we have to give him some time to get it right. It's very early days in the season. 

The club won’t sack him in the season (nor should they) unless it’s a disaster.

They might make a change at the end of season if we don’t make the playoffs. Which I think is a possibility. 

He just needs to translate what he saying in interviews into performances from players, and we’ll be fine.

The debate is, can he?

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s very early days and two wins would put us well in contention, however, if we were to lose at Halifax and Woking things would get very interesting to say the least!!

How poor do we think it would it have to get for the board to intervene?

If we lost the next two, we'd be going in to the 10th game of the season with the record:

P9 W2 D4 L3 Pts 10 

If we then lost at home to Yeovil...

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Wouldn't call one striker substantial, no matter how tall they are.

He wouldn’t have come cheap at all so I would definitely class that sort of help as substantial!

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I think they'll honour his full contract, fan power won't work on this one.

Mmmm- to a point. 

As long as he’s in touching distance of the playoffs the club will stick with him. If we’re bottom half at Christmas and drifting to 10/12 points from the playoffs I could see them making a change. But it’s moot- because we won’t that bad.