Micky Mellon Sack Watch

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

You sound surprised that a section of the fanbase are self destructive. Oxford away last season was embarrassing from the fans. 

Why so? It was a game against an already relegated bottom of the league team and we put in a half-arsed performance that was yet another in a long line of abject displays.

It wasn’t the fans that were embarrassing,  it was the team and management.

Pre-season is what it is but the early signs are that Mellon doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing - his interview post match yesterday was frankly embarrassing 😮

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No, because we've got fans calling for the managers head before the season has even started

How are things ever going to improve with support like that?

In my defence I said it was the wrong appointment at the time...

#bigcallsright

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No, because we've got fans calling for the managers head before the season has even started

How are things ever going to improve with support like that?

Getting the right manager in as a starter for ten..

I don't think he should be sacked, but it should have been a big summer for him to get us to "what good looks like". If it hasn't been and we're shit from game one, questions should be asked. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Getting the right manager in as a starter for ten..

I don't think he should be sacked, but it should have been a big summer for him to get us to "what good looks like". If it hasn't been and we're shit from game one, questions should be asked. 

Sacking the manager hasn't worked the 30 odd other times we've done it in the last 25 years, but it might work this time 

Last season i heard chants about the team being shit before kick off, subs booed on to the pitch, some pretty awful personal abuse shouted at players,  now people wanting a manager sacked because he lost a friendly. Amazing support!

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Sacking the manager hasn't worked the 30 odd other times we've done it in the last 25 years, but it might work this time 

Last season i heard chants about the team being shit before kick off, subs booed on to the pitch, some pretty awful personal abuse shouted at players,  now people wanting a manager sacked because he lost a friendly. Amazing support!

I don't think it's just because we lost a friendly (or friendlies..), it's because of how we performed last season too. 

Subs being booed on and personal abuse is wrong, done by a minority and a different issue...

Edited by JoeP

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Why so? It was a game against an already relegated bottom of the league team and we put in a half-arsed performance that was yet another in a long line of abject displays.

It wasn’t the fans that were embarrassing,  it was the team and management.

Pre-season is what it is but the early signs are that Mellon doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing - his interview post match yesterday was frankly embarrassing 😮

Fans chanting against Mellon. Shouting abuse at our captain Hogan. Shouting abuse at our top scorer Norwood. Fighting amongst themselves. Abusing the players at the end of the game. All whilst Frank was sat next to them. 

Embarrassing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s not the fans fault, but it is a deep rooted culture within the club. 

I didn't see any of it yesterday so people going down that route are just as fucking stupid as those booing the likes of Shelton on, it's almost like we can't discuss poor performances for fear of being accused of rocking the boat, even Mellon looked pissed off and dejected post match, are we saying fans can't share the same sentiment for fear of it being portrayed as negative.

What a load of bollocks. 

Players ultimately have a responsibility to leave it all on the pitch, if they can't do that as a bare minimum they can fuck off for me, my expectations are not high at all what I won't accept ever is players cruising around and playing with no heart which crept in again yesterday and was clearly evident, I think Mellon noticed it as well so let's hope he stamps it out before half hearted lacklustre displays become the norm again.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The idea that any incumbent manager gets time just because sacking managers hasn’t worked before. . . is nonsense.

He’s employed to win football matches- if he doesn’t win enough to justify his tenure or buy himself the required time he should and will be under pressure. That’s his job. 

I don’t think he’s going anywhere unless it’s really poor, which it won’t be. But if it was- he would have to go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

I didn't see any of it yesterday so people going down that route are just as fucking stupid as those booing the likes of Shelton on, it's almost like we can't discuss poor performances for fear of being accused of rocking the boat, even Mellon looked pissed off and dejected post match, are we saying fans can't share the same sentiment for fear of it being portrayed as negative.

What a load of bollocks. 

Players ultimately have a responsibility to leave it all on the pitch, if they can't do that as a bare minimum they can fuck off for me, my expectations are not high at all what I won't accept ever is players cruising around and playing with no heart which crept in again yesterday and was clearly evident, I think Mellon noticed it as well so let's hope he stamps it out before half hearted lacklustre displays become the norm again.

Spot on Yardy. 

If it was brilliant - I’d say so. 

If it was average like it was- I’ll say so. 

The clamour to shut down any reasonable discussion as here we go or overreacting is ridiculous. It’s just chat on the clubs football forum. . 

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

You are missing that point, if part time players can play with enthusiam why can't ours. Fans have seen it time and time again and they know something is wrong with attitudes at this club.  It needs to change and that's up to MM. 

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You mean like we've been doing for the last decade of incredible success.

Well as others have said, we shouldn't just keep a manager because we've got a reputation (under different owners) for swapping managers a lot in the past..

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Fans chanting against Mellon. Shouting abuse at our captain Hogan. Shouting abuse at our top scorer Norwood. Fighting amongst themselves. Abusing the players at the end of the game. All whilst Frank was sat next to them. 

Embarrassing. 

I was there that day and that is a huge exaggeration in my opinion - it was in no way that bad. A few numpties went too far but the vast majority were rightly angry and frustrated without resorting to the abuse you describe 😮

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well as others have said, we shouldn't just keep a manager because we've got a reputation (under different owners) for swapping managers a lot in the past..

We should acknowledge one of the major reasons why the previous owners failed and that was the constant changing of managers. But hey let's keep doing the same thing over and over again if you want and hoping for a different outcome.

Edited by GlossopLatic

59 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We should acknowledge one of the major reasons why the previous owners failed and that was the constant changing of managers. But hey let's keep doing the same thing over and over again if you want and hoping for a different outcome.

The Lemsegams were bonkers with it, though. And it doesn't even make the top ten things of what they did wrong. 

FWIW, I think we'd be in a better position now if we'd just stuck with Shez. I've also said I wouldn't sack Mellon right now. Keeping someone for the sake of it is counter- productive though...

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The Lemsegams were bonkers with it, though. And it doesn't even make the top ten things of what they did wrong. 

FWIW, I think we'd be in a better position now if we'd just stuck with Shez. I've also said I wouldn't sack Mellon right now. Keeping someone for the sake of it is counter- productive though...

Going through 10 managers in 4 years was one of major failings of their tenure to not acknowledge that is to rewrite history.

I'd rather just keep someone in the post than to sack someone e for the sake of it and effectively letting the players off the hook.

Edited by GlossopLatic

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

They were bonkers in the intefering they were doing which affected the environment the manager operated but at a guess I don't think their churn rate was much different to Corney's over a similar period.

@GlossopLatic is correct though. This will take time to for a philiosophy to embed and could easily see a ludicrous amount of pressure to fire MM if he doesn't win, say, 4 or 5 from the first 6 matches. It ultimately depends on performances. If we see most of the flaws of the last two months of the season like being second to loose balls, opposition defenders marching right through the centre of midfield and a drought of goalscoring chances then serious questions have to be asked. I'm expecting a considerable improvement in those areas at least. Consitent results should follow once we get the basics right.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

The idea that any incumbent manager gets time just because sacking managers hasn’t worked before. . . is nonsense.

He’s employed to win football matches- if he doesn’t win enough to justify his tenure or buy himself the required time he should and will be under pressure. That’s his job. 

I don’t think he’s going anywhere unless it’s really poor, which it won’t be. But if it was- he would have to go. 

Of course he's got to go if performances and results arent good. That's a bit different to some of our drama queen fans calling for his head because we lost a fucking friendly

It's gonna be poisonous again this season. Can feel it already. Can't wait

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You are missing that point, if part time players can play with enthusiam why can't ours. Fans have seen it time and time again and they know something is wrong with attitudes at this club.  It needs to change and that's up to MM. 

Where was all this hyperbole after the positive performances against League One sides? There was none, because then they were only friendlies. Now it's THE END OF THE WORLD FOLD THE CLUB

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It's all the fans fault 👏👏👏👏👏

Not just the fans fault, the players and manager were mostly poor last season, but that toxicity permeates through the club. What good does calling our own players "useless fat cunt" (one i heard last season), or booing players on to the pitch, or chanting abuse at our top scorer, or chanting "we're fucking shit" before kick off, do for the players confidence? I wouldn't want to play in that atmosphere 

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Not just the fans fault, the players and manager were mostly poor last season, but that toxicity permeates through the club. What good does calling our own players "useless fat cunt" (one i heard last season), or booing players on to the pitch, or chanting abuse at our top scorer, or chanting "we're fucking shit" before kick off, do for the players confidence? I wouldn't want to play in that atmosphere 

What's that got to do with discussing yesterday's performance then?