Micky Mellon Sack Watch

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No, because we've got fans calling for the managers head before the season has even started

How are things ever going to improve with support like that?

Nobody's calling for his head but I do think he's on very thin ice if we don't improve beyond recognition 

Needs to get going and set up to win, especially at home

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Where was all this hyperbole after the positive performances against League One sides? There was none, because then they were only friendlies. Now it's THE END OF THE WORLD FOLD THE CLUB

Plenty came on and said how well we played against the league sides, in fact paddy told yardy he thought his analysis of how good we were was very over the top. Or In words it was hyperbole. . . 

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It... doesn't. It has to do with people already wanting Mellon sacked. Look at the thread title 

I get that, some just don't like him and are so entrenched there's little point in discussing it with them, ironically they are not the ones ballooning about on away days hurling abuse at players, that's a different crowd from the trolls.

What I don't like is when every post is shouted down as negative even if it contains valid points and when everybody gets tarred with the same brush. 

One day Mellon will move on, he may be sacked or resign, he may even just step aside so those you describe will have their day (and bore us with there claims they get all the big calls right), there's nothing surer given the life of a manager but I don't think that should take anything away from the debate and everything be shouted down as negative and anti the management team.

I want Mellon to succeed as much as anyone, if he's sacked as some are frothing at the mouth for it probably means another season in this god forsaken league and that would be dreadful, he gets my backing for now I just hope he can turn it around.

• Like 1

Just now, yarddog73 said:

I get that, some just don't like him and are so entrenched there's little point in discussing it with them, ironically they are not the ones ballooning about on away days hurling abuse at players, that's a different crowd from the trolls.

What I don't like is when every post is shouted down as negative even if it contains valid points and when everybody gets tarred with the same brush. 

One day Mellon will move on, he may be sacked or resign, he may even just step aside so those you describe will have their day (and bore us with there claims they get all the big calls right), there's nothing surer given the life of a manager but I don't think that should take anything away from the debate and everything be shouted down as negative and anti the management team.

I want Mellon to succeed as much as anyone, if he's sacked as some are frothing at the mouth for it probably means another season in this god forsaken league and that would be dreadful, he gets my backing for now I just hope he can turn it around.

I've no issue with people being critical, at the end of the day we all want the same thing. I do think some of the reactions to yesterday have been massively OTT mind.

My issue is I feel like some of our fanbase almost want Mellon to fail. Last season was not good at all, but if fans are getting on the manager and players backs before the season has even kicked off that doesn't bode well for me. That's the toxicity I talked about.

He needs to get off to a flyer, but the fans need to do their part and get behind the team 

52 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It ultimately depends on performances. If we see most of the flaws of the last two months of the season like being second to loose balls, opposition defenders marching right through the centre of midfield and a drought of goalscoring chances then serious questions have to be asked.

It does. But then it boils down to how long do we wait? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It does. But then it boils down to how long do we wait? 

The usual 10 games is enough time to assess our direction of travel and the performance’s. 

It would have to dreadful for him to get sacked though.  As long as he’s top half and within easy reach of the playoffs he’ll be fine from the club’s perspective. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The usual 10 games is enough time to assess our direction of travel and the performance’s. 

It would have to dreadful for him to get sacked though.  As long as he’s top half and within easy reach of the playoffs he’ll be fine from the club’s perspective. 

This but with asterisks I'd say. I was all for giving Unsworth 10 games last season but it became apparent almost instantly that he wasn't up to the job and wasn't taking us forward at all. He probably should've gone sooner than he did really. If it's that stark (which I doubt it will be) then get rid ASAP.

If it's an inconsistent start but there's positive signs he deserves 10+ games, not every team hits the ground running and it's a long season.

The second one requires some patience from the fans, which I just don't think Mellon will be afforded 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

This but with asterisks I'd say. I was all for giving Unsworth 10 games last season but it became apparent almost instantly that he wasn't up to the job and wasn't taking us forward at all. He probably should've gone sooner than he did really. If it's that stark (which I doubt it will be) then get rid ASAP.

If it's an inconsistent start but there's positive signs he deserves 10+ games, not every team hits the ground running and it's a long season.

The second one requires some patience from the fans, which I just don't think Mellon will be afforded 

He's had more leeway from fans than any other in recent times...

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I've no issue with people being critical, at the end of the day we all want the same thing. I do think some of the reactions to yesterday have been massively OTT mind.

My issue is I feel like some of our fanbase almost want Mellon to fail. Last season was not good at all, but if fans are getting on the manager and players backs before the season has even kicked off that doesn't bode well for me. That's the toxicity I talked about.

He needs to get off to a flyer, but the fans need to do their part and get behind the team 

Nobody wants any manager here to fail because that goes against the very basics of being a long time supporter of the club we've loved since being kids.

None of the recent ones have covered themselves in glory and don't seem to understand the dynamics of what's required here.

We will support, as we do without question but don't expect us to just suck it up if it never shows any sign of improvement, I won't accept it and many others won't.

Mellon has to get us in the top six this time or he's finished and the search will continue. No ifs or buts 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Nobody wants any manager here to fail  

See above, for one.

I've also listed a bunch of times when the fans haven't supported "without question". Unless abusing your own players is "support".

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Pre-season seems to be going the same way as it did under Unsworth, if not worse.

We once again seem to be short across the board—no firepower and, once again, no midfield.

Factoring in the truly appalling end to last season as well as his alarming post-match interview yesterday, you can see why I don’t think he will last very long.

Unsworth was given until 16th Sept, and the way Mellon is going I presume it will be similar.

Unless we have a miraculous turnaround and sign 4/5 quality players, I feel his fate will be sealed fairly swiftly. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

See above, for one.

I've also listed a bunch of times when the fans haven't supported "without question". Unless abusing your own players is "support".

The questions only appear when the manager doesn't seem to be getting the best from his player's, whether that be the way he sets them up or just pure motivation.

As for player's, they have a duty to the club, manager and the fan's to leave everything on the pitch, nobody is asking for anything more than that but we're never seeing it and we just can't continue making excuses and papering over the cracks.

If the current preseason results are anything to go by, we're in for another rude awakening and with all the money Frank has thrown at it, that's totally unacceptable.

14 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The questions only appear when the manager doesn't seem to be getting the best from his player's, whether that be the way he sets them up or just pure motivation.

As for player's, they have a duty to the club, manager and the fan's to leave everything on the pitch, nobody is asking for anything more than that but we're never seeing it and we just can't continue making excuses and papering over the cracks.

If the current preseason results are anything to go by, we're in for another rude awakening and with all the money Frank has thrown at it, that's totally unacceptable.

He doesn't seem to be throwing much money at it this summer judging by the signings so far...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

When Shelton was booed on to the pitch we were on a 6 game unbeaten run and winning that game...

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

When Shelton was booed on to the pitch we were on a 6 game unbeaten run and winning that game...

A small minded minority, thankfully I'm not one of them and never will be

We're better than that.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

He doesn't seem to be throwing much money at it this summer judging by the signings so far...

Good for him, he's gone over and above as far as I'm concerned 

Shame those loosened purse strings weren't used correctly 

• Like 1

19/20 - relegated from League 1

20/21 - finished 9th of 12 with Dundee

21/22 - mid table League 2

22/23 - sacked by Tranmere

23/24 - dire at Oldham.

It’s coming on for 6 seasons since the man was successful. 
The man is not a coach, he’s an old fashioned manager. He doesn’t develop players. 

There are 10 better managers/coaches in the National League and lower. The majority would have scoffed at Mike Williamson at Gateshead purely because they saw the word Gateshead.

I was vocal on here about the Wealdstone manager after he (in his part time job) was able to have little old Wealdstone play us off the park in consecutive seasons. He gave up his job as a BT engineer to go to Notts County at Christmas and had a strong finish to last season. Again the majority would have scoffed had he been appointed.

Times have changed and Mellon is from a bygone era, it’s a shame we’ve got a chief exec who can’t see this. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

23/24 - dire at Oldham.

The man is not a coach, he’s an old fashioned manager. He doesn’t develop players. 

There are 10 better managers/coaches in the National League and lower. The majority would have scoffed at Mike Williamson at Gateshead purely because they saw the word Gateshead.

I was vocal on here about the Wealdstone manager after he (in his part time job) was able to have little old Wealdstone play us off the park in consecutive seasons. He gave up his job as a BT engineer to go to Notts County at Christmas and had a strong finish to last season. Again the majority would have scoffed had he been appointed.

Times have changed and Mellon is from a bygone era, it’s a shame we’ve got a chief exec who can’t see this. 

I fear there might be some truth in this. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

23/24 - dire at Oldham.

I wouldn't have scoffed at any of those managers, but Maynard took over Notts when they were 6th, lost 11 in 19 and they ended up finishing 14th, with many of their fans wanting him gone. There's nothing to suggest he'd have been the answer either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

23/24 - dire at Oldham.

To be fair was relegated from League 1 in 19/20 in March 20 because season was curtailed due to Covid. Tranmere were in the relegation zone but had a game in hand and were on a run of three successive wins. Were relegated by points per game with twelve games still to play .

20/21 Dundee had just been promoted back to the top flight so 9 out of 12 and also reaching the Scottish Cup semi finals so was probably not seen as a failure

Edited by Moldham
  • Like 4