Micky Mellon Sack Watch

7 hours ago, Moldham said:

To be fair was relegated from League 1 in 19/20 in March 20 because season was curtailed due to Covid. Tranmere were in the relegation zone but had a game in hand and were on a run of three successive wins. Were relegated by points per game with twelve games still to play .

20/21 Dundee had just been promoted back to the top flight so 9 out of 12 and also reaching the Scottish Cup semi finals so was probably not seen as a failure

And how long was it until Parkinson did something with Wrexham...? Sure he'd had a few years in the wilderness. I don't think the National League has changed that much.

16 hours ago, Moldham said:

To be fair was relegated from League 1 in 19/20 in March 20 because season was curtailed due to Covid. Tranmere were in the relegation zone but had a game in hand and were on a run of three successive wins. Were relegated by points per game with twelve games still to play .

20/21 Dundee had just been promoted back to the top flight so 9 out of 12 and also reaching the Scottish Cup semi finals so was probably not seen as a failure

Please don’t provide context in here. It’s not welcome.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Moldham said:

Wasn't that Tranmere team relegated after he'd led them to 2 straight promotions as well?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Wasn't that Tranmere team relegated after he'd led them to 2 straight promotions as well?

Yes the timeline conveniently starts after the 2 successive promotions.

Promotion from the NL 17/18

Promotion from L2 18/19.

Edited by GlossopLatic

On 7/30/2024 at 6:10 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Yes the timeline conveniently starts after the 2 successive promotions.

Promotion from the NL 17/18

Promotion from L2 18/19.

That was my point, his performance is on the downgrade. He’s an aging dinosaur

18 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Doesn't stop some people calling for Shez to come back😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

My first reaction when he was appointed was 'yesterday's man'. Not had cause to revise that baseless, knee jerk reaction 

No idea how it’ll turn out with Mellon but it amuses me this accusation of him being a dinosaur. Having listened to his book and him talk in general he seems to be someone very open to adapting and exploring different ways of doing things.

But also it’s brought to you by a fan base that can’t cope with the idea of modern recruitment methods and is obsessed with 442.

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No idea how it’ll turn out with Mellon but it amuses me this accusation of him being a dinosaur. Having listened to his book and him talk in general he seems to be someone very open to adapting and exploring different ways of doing things.

But also it’s brought to you by a fan base that can’t cope with the idea of modern recruitment methods and is obsessed with 442.

The guy talks in riddles most of the time making the job sound far more complicated than it is.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The guy talks in riddles most of the time making the job sound far more complicated than it is.

Is talking in riddles the trait of a dinosaur?

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Is talking in riddles the trait of a dinosaur?

The worst kind, he's a dinosaur trying to disguise it by creating the illusion that he's a modern thinker.

Own your dinosaur I say.

Edited by deyres42

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The worst kind, he's a dinosaur trying to disguise it by creating the illusion that he's a modern thinker.

Own your dinosaur I say.

Other than talking like a modern thinker, what other dinosaur traits does he have?

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Other than talking like a modern thinker, what other dinosaur traits does he have?

Talks a good game, his teams then go out and play in the most basic one dimensional way possible, classic dinosaur.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Talks a good game, his teams then go out and play in the most basic one dimensional way possible, classic dinosaur.

Wasn’t the case in the first few weeks after he joined. Admittedly it did go that way over the last couple of months. But seemingly that’s not how the first team has been playing in the friendlies this season. Most accounts appear to say we’ve got a lot more expansive. 

If he’s a dinosaur I presume we’ll be playing the way you’ve described this season too right? Basic and one dimensional… is that your prediction for our style this season?

12 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

It's really not that long ago though is it.

As a comparison Phil Parkinson won a promotion in 2017 with Bolton he didn't win another until he took Wrexham up in 2023. Now I wouldn't be surprised if the discussion around Parkinson amongst Wrexham fans was that he was yesterday's man but 2 promotions later that has been comfortably dispelled. People also said the same about Warnock when he was with us yet he left us and won 5 promotions From the division above where we where. No reason suggest Mellon is done yet. 

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's really not that long ago though is it.

As a comparison Phil Parkinson won a promotion in 2017 with Bolton he didn't win another until he took Wrexham up in 2023. Now I wouldn't be surprised if the discussion around Parkinson amongst Wrexham fans was that he was yesterday's man but 2 promotions later that has been comfortably dispelled. People also said the same about Warnock when he was with us yet he left us and won 5 promotions From the division above where we where. No reason suggest Mellon is done yet. 

Indeed. On their documentary there were a few post match soundbites from fans when they werent doing so well saying exactly the same stuff - dinosaur, tactically outclassed, afraid to make a sub, generally wanting him gone. Then he goes and gets 2 promotions. 

Seems strange to write off a manager’s career at the age of 52. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Indeed. On their documentary there were a few post match soundbites from fans when they werent doing so well saying exactly the same stuff - dinosaur, tactically outclassed, afraid to make a sub, generally wanting him gone. Then he goes and gets 2 promotions. 

Seems strange to write off a manager’s career at the age of 52. 

It's one of those things an experienced manager is a dinosaur who is yesterday's man a young manager is inexperienced who doesn't know the league etc. You will always get those comments and it will often be from different people. I guarantee the next manager after Mellon whenever that maybe will have bad tactics every single manager before him has it every manager after him will.

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Wasn’t the case in the first few weeks after he joined. Admittedly it did go that way over the last couple of months. But seemingly that’s not how the first team has been playing in the friendlies this season. Most accounts appear to say we’ve got a lot more expansive. 

If he’s a dinosaur I presume we’ll be playing the way you’ve described this season too right? Basic and one dimensional… is that your prediction for our style this season?

I hope they change. Don't see this particular leopard changing their spots though.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's one of those things an experienced manager is a dinosaur who is yesterday's man a young manager is inexperienced who doesn't know the league etc. You will always get those comments and it will often be from different people. I guarantee the next manager after Mellon whenever that maybe will have bad tactics every single manager before him has it every manager after him will.

Criticism is fine, I’ve no issue analysing and being critical of managers if it’s warranted. But I also think they need time to establish themselves first. Mellon coming in half way through an already very disrupted season just doesn’t give enough time to properly assess. Once we’re a good way through this season we’ll have a much better idea of what a current day Micky Mellon team looks like. 

Not many get that time these days but from the pod I get the impression that no matter what noise the fans make, as long as we’re not absolutely miles off Mellon will get this season and possibly next too. 

• Like 1

Just now, deyres42 said:

I hope they change. Don't see this particular leopard changing their spots though.

A season of basic and one dimensional football? That’s a big call. 

A portion of the 442, must play two up top fanbase at it again. 

If we had a progressive manager, the fans would soon moan. 

Mellon is implementing a playing out from the back style. Let’s see what the general fans reaction is and if it continues.