Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

No idea how it’ll turn out with Mellon but it amuses me this accusation of him being a dinosaur. Having listened to his book and him talk in general he seems to be someone very open to adapting and exploring different ways of doing things.

But also it’s brought to you by a fan base that can’t cope with the idea of modern recruitment methods and is obsessed with 442.

Funny Argentina and Spain managed decent results with 442, it will be the next trend and you will soon be calling other formations dinosaurs. 

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Funny Argentina and Spain managed decent results with 442, it will be the next trend and you will soon be calling other formations dinosaurs. 

Spain played 433. Morata up front with Yamal and Williams the wide forwards. 

Think Argentina were something similar.
Neither played wingers in the traditional sense. For example, I don’t remember too many of their goals being wingers going on the outside of the full back and crossing in for the header. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Spain played 433. Morata up front with Yamal and Williams the wide forwards. 

Think Argentina were something similar.
Neither played wingers in the traditional sense. For example, I don’t remember too many of their goals being wingers going on the outside of the full back and crossing in for the header. 

Spoilsport ! 😀

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I hope they change. Don't see this particular leopard changing their spots though.

Hang on, I thought he was a dinosaur - is he a leopard now? How unlike you to move the goalposts, I'm shocked. Completely shocked.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

spain didnt play 442 they played 433

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Hang on, I thought he was a dinosaur - is he a leopard now? How unlike you to move the goalposts, I'm shocked. Completely shocked.

Excellent insight once more from the wise one, nothing gets past him.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

They didn’t play 442 BP.

On 8/3/2024 at 10:20 AM, deyres42 said:

Don't see him lasting the season tbh.

I'll be astounded if he's still not in situ by the end of the season. The only way he'd be sacked will be if we have an utterly dreadful first 5-6 matches and find ourselves in the relegation zone. 

All our eggs, particularly with the Royles, are with MM imo. If he's not a success, I can see them both departing and the Rothwells rapidly losing interest as a consequence. As fans, we must back him to get it right, or face an uncertain future.

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'll be astounded if he's still not in situ by the end of the season. The only way he'd be sacked will be if we have an utterly dreadful first 5-6 matches and find ourselves in the relegation zone. 

All our eggs, particularly with the Royles, are with MM imo. If he's not a success, I can see them both departing and the Rothwells rapidly losing interest as a consequence. As fans, we must back him to get it right, or face an uncertain future.

Absolutely no chance of that. They’ve brought in the rugby, they’ve brought in a women’s team and they’ve spent a bloody fortune on the infrastructure, 

they’re in way too deep now.

They may well seek further investment but IMO, I don’t see any way they would consider leaving the club.

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

A tad over dramatic there methinks 🤔

After 10 months in the job, I think it's time that we seriously ask the question about whether Mellon is up to the task.

1 win in the last 12 league games is unforgivable for a club of our stature.  Mellon is a proven disgrace and should walk before he is sacked.

#mellonout

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

There's a crazy rumour going around on X from fairly reliable people (Barry Owen - whether you like him or not, he still somehow has fingers in a lot of pies around football, and @Fervid) that Mellon may be bound for Blackpool...

If he wanted to go, then we shouldn’t stand in his way 👍

I’ve seen those rumours as well. Wellens is quite a big favourite with the bookies. Mellon isn’t even in the list, unless he’s only just applied. 

I’d be surprised. It seems like he likes it here and you’d have to think he’d on a really good wage. No ITK but I bet he’s one of the highest paid managers from L2 and below. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I really like him, but I can't for the life of me imagine what Blackpool in L1 have seen recently to make him on their wishlist. Has to be nonsense...

He's a choice for an ambitious club at National League level, that may even stretch to League Two as well.  But he's not a manager that I'd be happy with if I was a fan of a League One club looking to push towards the Championship.

Guest O.A.F.C.
8 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He's a choice for an ambitious club at National League level, that may even stretch to League Two as well.  But he's not a manager that I'd be happy with if I was a fan of a League One club looking to push towards the Championship.

He struggles managing a National League team with a budget multiple times bigger than the majority of clubs in the division.

He'd have no chance even in League 2