Micky Mellon Sack Watch

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Bruce is one of a very few managers who have been in charge of over 1,000 professional matches.  he must have been doing something right for the last 20 plus years

No doubts but I also enjoy reading comments from other fan's from some of the former club's he's managed, when these appointments are made.

Obviously Toon fan's are more scathing because of his links to the Mackems 

17 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Steffa Barnes???

https://thesetpieces.com/latest-posts/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

The Quickly Kevin podcast have also reviewed Steve Bruce's books in a scathing and funny way.

In general I like and respect the bloke, but those books certainly make it harder to respect him.

• Thanks 1

We've now won 2 out of our last 18 league games....

We've scored 18 goals in these 18 games,and conceded 23....

6 of today's starters were Mellon signings....

The other 5 of Hudson, Hobson, Raglan, Lundstrom and Norwood arguably most were happy to keep....

We are already 7 points off an automatic promotion spot after 7 games....

I've seen nothing to suggest Mellon "knows what good looks like" for a while now....

Couldn't go today or on Tuesday, but I'll be at Woking on Saturday, and it could get really ugly if it gets to no win in 7 and 2 in 20 position...

I listened to radio Manchester today and I lost count on the number of times Pete Wild called Oldham "us". He also talked loads of sense and seemed 15 mins ahead of Mellon with his changes.

I'd be lining him up if we are not already, as Mellons stats since the end of February are absolutely unacceptable in any League....irrespective of what he inherited. 

We are better than a point a game over the past 20 games....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

The other 5 of Hudson, Hobson, Raglan, Lundstrom and Norwood arguably most were happy to keep....

I've seen nothing to suggest Mellon "knows what good looks like" for a while now....

Couldn't go today or on Tuesday, but I'll be at Woking on Saturday, and it could get really ugly if it gets to no win in 7 and 2 in 20 position...

I listened to radio Manchester today and I lost count on the number of times Pete Wild called Oldham "us". He also talked loads of sense and seemed 15 mins ahead of Mellon with his changes.

I'd be lining him up if we are not already, as Mellons stats since the end of February are absolutely unacceptable in any League....irrespective of what he inherited. 

Problem is Wilds style of play wouldn't be popular on the terraces although the young/progressive crowd may be happier.

It's shit we're even discussing this 7 games in and it probably points to another disappointing season which nobody wants.

36 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We are progressing though apparently...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We are progressing though apparently...

We've gone nowhere in over 2 years despite many saying we have. Most seem happy to be some kind of community club, I think the club has forgotten what is really important to fans. We've got DR who seems obsessed with statsbomb, JR who is happy his lad is in a role he wouldn't be at any other club, Frank who likes a pint of Lees bitter and his favourite player is Otis Khan who hadn't actually played a minute of football when he came out with that, but knows nothing about football and the rest of the Rothwell family who no doubt mean well but again know very little about football. We also have some top business exec. on the board who nobody sees or hears from and is about as relevant as the fans rep we had on the board under the previous regime. The club seem intent on cozying up to the council and think paying spectators will continue to turn up in good numbers if there intentions are right. Well apathy is setting in, no way was there 5600 in that ground today and crowds will continue to drop the longer we are in this league and not at the top end of it winning on a regular basis. I don't think the blame lies with Mellon, I want him to succeed and think he would do but he's carrying the baggage left by the previous appointment which may have set us back years.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

We've gone nowhere in over 2 years despite many saying we have. Most seem happy to be some kind of community club, I think the club has forgotten what is really important to fans. We've got DR who seems obsessed with statsbomb, JR who is happy his lad is in a role he wouldn't be at any other club, Frank who likes a pint of Lees bitter and his favourite player is Otis Khan who hadn't actually played a minute of football when he came out with that, but knows nothing about football and the rest of the Rothwell family who no doubt mean well but again know very little about football. We also have some top business exec. on the board who nobody sees or hears from and is about as relevant as the fans rep we had on the board under the previous regime. The club seem intent on cozying up to the council and think paying spectators will continue to turn up in good numbers if there intentions are right. Well apathy is setting in, no way was there 5600 in that ground today and crowds will continue to drop the longer we are in this league and not at the top end of it winning on a regular basis. I don't think the blame lies with Mellon, I want him to succeed and think he would do but he's carrying the baggage left by the previous appointment which may have set us back years.

100% all this 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Mellon does seem to be our third consecutive manager since the takeover that appears to be struggling, which backs this up...

19 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Don't necessarily agree with all that but the overall view is hard to argue with.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I don't think the blame lies with Mellon, I want him to succeed and think he would do but he's carrying the baggage left by the previous appointment which may have set us back years.

I’m sorry, I don’t agree. MM has to take a fair portion of the blame. He may have a decent CV but I just don’t think he’s a very good coach.

He said he was looking forward to working with Uchegbulam but he still looks to be the same player who the Dale fans described as a one in five!

We’ve been crying out for a playmaker who can control and run the midfield for over 2 years and still haven’t got one.

His persistence in playing the apparently star struck Lundstram is just baffling!

Everybody knew another striker was the absolute priority during close season and he’s re-signed the previously rejected Fondop who still looks looks to be the only player capable of unsettling defenders whilst Norwood and Garner struggle for fitness.

Rochdale have just gone and beaten Aldershot away, newly promoted Yeovil have gone and stuck 4 in at Fylde and Gateshead have continued their fine start beating title favourites Barnet 2 v 0! 3 teams we couldn’t beat!!

It’s early days but If we lose at Halifax we could be 10 points behind the leaders and the alarm bells in the boardroom will surely be ringing.

Fans had expected us to be in the mix all season and rightly so. Things need to change for the better and it needs to be quick!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m sorry, I don’t agree. MM has to take a fair portion of the blame. He may have a decent CV but I just don’t think he’s a very good coach.

He said he was looking forward to working with Uchegbulam but he still looks to be the same player who the Dale fans described as a one in five!

We’ve been crying out for a playmaker who can control and run the midfield for over 2 years and still haven’t got one.

His persistence in playing the apparently star struck Lundstram is just baffling!

Everybody knew another striker was the absolute priority during close season and he’s re-signed the previously rejected Fondop who still looks looks to be the only player capable of unsettling defenders whilst Norwood and Garner struggle for fitness.

Rochdale have just gone and beaten Aldershot away, newly promoted Yeovil have gone and stuck 4 in at Fylde and Gateshead have continued their fine start beating title favourites Barnet 2 v 0! 3 teams we couldn’t beat!!

It’s early days but If we lose at Halifax we could be 10 points behind the leaders and the alarm bells in the boardroom will surely be ringing.

Fans had expected us to be in the mix all season and rightly so. Things need to change for the better and it needs to be quick!

I think alarm bells will already be ringing, we cannot afford to haemorrhage fans at the rate we are, we need results it's as simple as that, failure again is not really an option given what's been pumped in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I think you've quoted the wrong poster there unless we're in a parallel universe...

Get him out, hes effing useless. Wtf is going on! Another season is looking like dirge and were at the start of September. 

Why didn't we get an up and coming young manager who be progressing with a smaller team. Rather that appointing basically sam alladyce of NL . Plus this is all on the back of a wasted 18months of hiring one of there mayes in unsworth who was also clueless.

Why oh why are we so awful at picking managers

33 minutes ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Get him out, hes effing useless. Wtf is going on! Another season is looking like dirge and were at the start of September. 

Why didn't we get an up and coming young manager who be progressing with a smaller team. Rather that appointing basically sam alladyce of NL . Plus this is all on the back of a wasted 18months of hiring one of there mayes in unsworth who was also clueless.

Why oh why are we so awful at picking managers

We are so awful at picking managers because people keep saying get an up and coming manager without actually naming who this manager is, and even if they did name a manager how do we know that manager would give up being up and coming and come to us.

Mellon has probably had the fans patience more than most managers in recent times. Not many would survive a 3 in 18 record. I still feel he’s the man for the job, but fans are gradually beginning to turn. Don’t pick a win up in the next two the pressure will be on. 

People may disagree with me about us being more interested in being a community club and cozying up to the council but the more cynical amongst us might think the Khan signing was politically motivated especially when the owner went on record as saying he was his favourite player before he'd actually kicked a ball for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

People may disagree with me about us being more interested in being a community club and cozying up to the council but the more cynical amongst us might think the Khan signing was politically motivated especially when the owner went on record as saying he was his favourite player before he'd actually kicked a ball for us. 

I for one am pleased you have no influence on Oldham OAFC. 
If Otis Khan improves our playing squad it’s a great move to use his appointment to increase the interest in the team from other fellow Oldhamers. How is this political? 

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I for one am pleased you have no influence on Oldham OAFC. 
If Otis Khan improves our playing squad it’s a great move to use his appointment to increase the interest in the team from other fellow Oldhamers. How is this political? 

Khan has played higher than this level, it’s nothing to do with this political. 

• Like 2

Taking all the bullshit out of it that some want to bring to the table I think Khan is a tidy footballer which is ultimately what he should be judged on, why it took an age to sign him is a mystery but he'd earned a contract based on his performances in pre season.

I'm all for debating whether we are good enough or not or whether Mellon is the man but all this cynical racial and political bullshit has no place in any debate particularly on a football forum, most of all it questions Frank's character which I feel is bang out of order, for me he's done nothing but good for the town and the football club and that never should be questioned. 

• Like 10