Micky Mellon Sack Watch

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Taking all the bullshit out of it that some want to bring to the table I think Khan is a tidy footballer which is ultimately what he should be judged on, why it took an age to sign him is a mystery but he'd earned a contract based on his performances in pre season.

I'm all for debating whether we are good enough or not or whether Mellon is the man but all this cynical racial and political bullshit has no place in any debate particularly on a football forum, most of all it questions Frank's character which I feel is bang out of order, for me he's done nothing but good for the town and the football club and that never should be questioned. 

100%. The club has been transformed and Frank’s involvement in the takeover has been nothing short of sensational. We were so close to extinction and the distinct possibility of us losing our football club forever.

The transformation of the pitch & stadium has been fantastic and BP hasn’t looked better in all the time I’ve supported the club.

Unfortunately, this hasn’t been replicated where it matters most, on the pitch. We cannot afford to let the feel good factor peter out as a clear drop in attendances clearly demonstrates.

We are 21st in the form table over the last 4 games picking up just 3 points from 12. Our last win was 6 games ago!

I’m not advocating the sacking of yet another manager but it’s crystal clear that things need to improve and quickly. MM has been backed by the board signing around a dozen players but the hangover from the previous owners just seems to roll on and on.

We have to give him an adequate amount of time to turn our fortunes around. 
How long ‘adequate’ is will be a boardroom decision but if the results don’t improve supporters will begin to show their disapproval.

We have 2 successive away games coming up. We’ve taken just a point off Halifax since dropping into the NL and have managed to share the points over 4 games with Woking.

IMO, 3 points from the 2 games is an absolute minimum. We need to start winning games, draws are no good to us as we will just continue losing ground on the leaders.

I didn’t expect us to be struggling for form at this point but it is what it is…

MM claims he knows what good is….he needs to back that up now with a few wins!

• Like 1

Listening to MM post match, I think that, from what he said, he will play Ogle as one of the three at the back on Tuesday, (Hobson to the bench) with Caprice and Kitching as wingbacks. 
I’d like to see a midfield of Conlon, Garner, Khan and Dolan with hopefully Norwood up front if his injury isn’t too bad 🙏

Re. Khan - great if he improves us. Also an astute signing. Unless we get the Asian youth on board in supporting Latics, the long-term future could be difficult. Those of Asian heritage make up an ever increasing % of the borough's population. In other words, the pool from which to draw our "traditional support" is shrinking from generation to generation.

Compare the census information over the decades and you'll appreciate why it's important to engage a sector that, by and large, has had no interest in supporting Latics.

14 hours ago, Only Blue said:

We are so awful at picking managers because people keep saying get an up and coming manager without actually naming who this manager is, and even if they did name a manager how do we know that manager would give up being up and coming and come to us.

Didn't realise it was my job to pull the shortlist together for interviewing? 

Strange comment

• Like 1

I’m not overly concerned with results at this stage, there is loads of time to catch up. 

After a good start in terms of performance. I am becoming concerned with the old patterns emerging. 

Can’t consistently play for ninety minutes. 

Start slow, then improve. 

Start well, tail off. 

Lack of pressing as a team.

Slow in possession at times. 

Slow to move the ball from back to front. 

No midfielder who will carry the ball and break the lines. 

These characteristics were present last season, and are creeping back in. 

45 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Every feckin game even in pre season. 

That’s playing 1 up front. Which is not the same as having an isolated man up front. 

See the average position of our players in the Gateshead match on this link. Norwood was not isolated at all (he’s actually one of the most surrounded strikers of the 4 matches analysed)…

Nobody said Khan isn't a decent player, I put in another thread whilst he was on trial that I thought he was decent whenever i'd seen him against us in the past and we had made an enquiry about trying to sign him when he was at Mansfield. The point was about us focusing on being a community club rather than a professional football club that is an independent business and should be focused on winning football matches. Whilst being part of the community and building relationships within it is nice, my opinion is that should be for amateur clubs and not for profit organisations. It was probably wrong to use the Khan signing as a potential example but I find the constant crawling up to Arooj a little bit nauseating when she hasn't been near BP previously and quite frankly I don't think she's fit for office.

11 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Nobody said Khan isn't a decent player, I put in another thread whilst he was on trial that I thought he was decent whenever i'd seen him against us in the past and we had made an enquiry about trying to sign him when he was at Mansfield. The point was about us focusing on being a community club rather than a professional football club that is an independent business and should be focused on winning football matches. Whilst being part of the community and building relationships within it is nice, my opinion is that should be for amateur clubs and not for profit organisations. It was probably wrong to use the Khan signing as a potential example but I find the constant crawling up to Arooj a little bit nauseating when she hasn't been near BP previously and quite frankly I don't think she's fit for office.

If he put a few hundred on the gate it's good business, whatever your politics are.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

If he put a few hundred on the gate it's good business, whatever your politics are.

He didn't and he won't although that doesn't mean to say he won't be a good signing.

17 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Why didn't we get an up and coming young manager who be progressing with a smaller team. Rather that appointing basically sam alladyce of NL .

Darren Kelly? David Dunn? Stephen Robinson?

8 hours ago, Pidge said:

If Otis Khan improves our playing squad it’s a great move to use his appointment to increase the interest in the team from other fellow Oldhamers. How is this political? 

. . . and he was born in Ashton-under-Lyne.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

It was probably wrong to use the Khan signing as a potential example

Don't really understand your argument here. What are the other examples of Oldham focusing more on being a community club rather than a professional football club? Kids being flag bearers on the pitch? Running soccer schools in the school holidays?

14 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

Don't really understand your argument here. What are the other examples of Oldham focusing more on being a community club rather than a professional football club? Kids being flag bearers on the pitch? Running soccer schools in the school holidays?

Just a guess, but suspect he doesn't like the prayer hut, or opening the club up for Eid celebrations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

I’m not overly concerned with results at this stage, there is loads of time to catch up. 

After a good start in terms of performance. I am becoming concerned with the old patterns emerging. 

Can’t consistently play for ninety minutes. 

Start slow, then improve. 

Start well, tail off. 

Lack of pressing as a team.

Slow in possession at times. 

Slow to move the ball from back to front. 

No midfielder who will carry the ball and break the lines. 

These characteristics were present last season, and are creeping back in. 

This is where I’m at. Yesterday and parts of Altrincham could have been last season. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Non had ever managed before so can hardly be classed as up and coming and progressing a smaller team?

It can work for some, but they need be strong characters like big Joe IMO.

I was replying to @yarddog73 on another thread about Lee Johnson and his win% and I'm afraid it's sent me into nerd mode so I've looked at the win % (league games only) of all our managers from Powerpoint Man onwards, to give a bit of context to the debate on MM.

Games Win %

Steve Thompson         6       50.00

Pete Wild*                   15      46.67

John Sheridan**         22     40.91

Lee Johnson               103    34.95

Harry Kewell               32      34.38

Micky Mellon              38      34.21

Frankie Bunn              24      33.33

John Sheridan***       31      32.26

David Unsworth         46      30.43

Dino Maamria             28      28.57

Richie Wellens            37      27.03

John Sheridan****     30      26.67

Keith Curle                  32      25.00

Dean Holden               15      20.00

Darren Kelly                 7       14.29

Paul Scholes                7       14.29

Stephen Robinson      24      12.50

David Dunn                  17       11.76

Laurent Banide             9        11.11

Selim Benachour          7        0.00

* agggregate of two spells as both were in the same season

** Jan - May 2016

*** Jan - Sep 2017

**** Jan - Sep 2022

20 managers in 10 years, absolutely incredible. There are some absolute turkeys in that list, not helped of course by Corney's later years and then the Chuckle Brothers. If we ignore Thompson, who only had 6 games, then MM is 5th on the list. His win % was far more impressive but as @yarddog73 and others have pointed out, 2 wins from the last 18 is really poor. I'm for sticking with MM but the pressure on him will soon be ratcheting up if he doesn't start winning games very soon. That said, and to state the obvious, there's not much point changing managers every few months if you can't find a successful one! 

24 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I was replying to @yarddog73 on another thread about Lee Johnson and his win% and I'm afraid it's sent me into nerd mode so I've looked at the win % (league games only) of all our managers from Powerpoint Man onwards, to give a bit of context to the debate on MM.

Games Win %

Steve Thompson         6       50.00

Pete Wild*                   15      46.67

John Sheridan**         22     40.91

Lee Johnson               103    34.95

Harry Kewell               32      34.38

Micky Mellon              38      34.21

Frankie Bunn              24      33.33

John Sheridan***       31      32.26

David Unsworth         46      30.43

Dino Maamria             28      28.57

Richie Wellens            37      27.03

John Sheridan****     30      26.67

Keith Curle                  32      25.00

Dean Holden               15      20.00

Darren Kelly                 7       14.29

Paul Scholes                7       14.29

Stephen Robinson      24      12.50

David Dunn                  17       11.76

Laurent Banide             9        11.11

Selim Benachour          7        0.00

* agggregate of two spells as both were in the same season

** Jan - May 2016

*** Jan - Sep 2017

**** Jan - Sep 2022

20 managers in 10 years, absolutely incredible. There are some absolute turkeys in that list, not helped of course by Corney's later years and then the Chuckle Brothers. If we ignore Thompson, who only had 6 games, then MM is 5th on the list. His win % was far more impressive but as @yarddog73 and others have pointed out, 2 wins from the last 18 is really poor. I'm for sticking with MM but the pressure on him will soon be ratcheting up if he doesn't start winning games very soon. That said, and to state the obvious, there's not much point changing managers every few months if you can't find a successful one! 

I didn't think he was the right man when appointed and still don't. But I'd still stick with him now because someone has to be given a chance at building something and I can't really envisage him being disastrous 

• Like 1

It’s very early days and two wins would put us well in contention, however, if we were to lose at Halifax and Woking things would get very interesting to say the least!!

How poor do we think it would it have to get for the board to intervene?

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s very early days and two wins would put us well in contention, however, if we were to lose at Halifax and Woking things would get very interesting to say the least!!

How poor do we think it would it have to get for the board to intervene?

As for the last sentence 

My guess would be to let him see out the remainder of his contract come what may