Micky Mellon Sack Watch

Hi all,

I haven't been on for a while but I am going to try and give you some hope... I actually feel you will still get promoted.

This is classic Micky, his teams start so slowly in the season and then hit form mid to late in the season. When we got promoted from this division there were loads of Micky out shouts and after our 8th (I think) game we had just lost 1-0 at home to Dover, a result and performance that was embarrassing and marked an awful start to the season.

Even when promoted from League Two and the relegation season from League One (due to Covid)we were poor early on and then picked up as the season went on. Its what Micky does, evolve the team through the season and then finds a way to make you click.

Stick with him and I still feel you will be up there at the end of the season but fully get the frustrations now as have been there many times with him!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

We’re only 6 points off automatic and there shouldn’t be any need to panic but our performances are utter dog shit!

I honestly can’t understand how he’s wanting them to play. That 1st half barring the first 10 minutes was shocking and as bad as anything last season. As a coach/manager I just fail to see what he brings to the table.

Yes, there has been a marginal improvement from last season but you would expect that with so called better players.

I want continuity and really don’t want another manager to be sacked but unfortunately MM doesn’t appear to have the slightest clue as to what good looks like!

Why did we suddenly look like we could win it when down to 10 men. It was the only time we looked like we wanted it….it has to be down to the manager’s tactics.

A decent team would have murdered Halifax tonight. They were there for the taking but we just didn’t have a clue how to win!

Will this bad dream ever end?

I think you are half right, there is a problem with the manager, but the reason for me is very different then your interpretation.

We know from the first couple of matches that there was a plan, and more performance. That was from the manager. 

The worry for me is the feeling that the players are back to doing what they did wrong last season. That suggests to me they have stopped listening. We know that went very badly last season when he seemed to loose all control and finally seemed to suggest they all need replacing. Are we back where maybe his man management has always been the problem?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Oh DR is part culpable Mick. No question. 

Micky all but said the recruitment structure was a mess, and it was.  Problem is, that only 3 of MM’s 13 signings have been any good as well. 

I've been slightly more generous but that's the biggest issue here. He's still not sorted out the midfield and we're short of pace and quality up front plus the keeper has gone backwards.

We've signed players we didn't really need and not addressed the obvious shortcomings in the team.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Do we actually feel he’s under pressure. I doubt it’s even crossing the boards mind about sacking another manager.

He’s in contract till 2026 (another fuck up) and probably a high severance agreement. 

Unless there's a get out clause that's been added for both parties in the event things turn out the same way as his predecessor?

Throwing money away won't be up for debate 

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

I've been slightly more generous but that's the biggest issue here. He's still not sorted out the midfield and we're short of pace and quality up front plus the keeper has gone backwards.

We've signed players we didn't really need and not addressed the obvious shortcomings in the team.

Patience required, he's only been in charge for a year.

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Unless there's a get out clause that's been added for both parties in the event things turn out the same way as his predecessor?

Throwing money away won't be up for debate 

Think the general trend in football is six months severance. Although with our CEO you never know...

6 minutes ago, mick26 said:

He's still not sorted out the midfield and we're short of pace and quality up front plus the keeper has gone backwards.

Spot on. 

Khan or Dolan - not both. 

Re- signing Mikey and Gardener. 

Signing Garner last season when we already had an old head. 

The back 5 is ok. 

The midfield is desperate. It’s a mixture of playing them in the wrong shape, and not having anyone bar charsley who will run with the ball, and not having anyone bar gardener who can pick a forward pass. (But his legs have gone) 

We no pace up front. 

He‘s said a few times, I now have the players to control the game and look after the ball better. Doesn’t look like it. 

• Like 2

Just now, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

The back 5 is ok. 

The midfield is desperate. It’s a mixture of playing them in the wrong shape, and not having anyone bar charsley who will run with the ball, and not having anyone bar gardener who can pick a forward pass. (But his legs have gone) 

We no pace up front. 

He‘s said a few times, I now have the players to control the game and look after the ball better. Doesn’t look like it. 

Exactly 👍.

43 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Do we actually feel he’s under pressure. I doubt it’s even crossing the boards mind about sacking another manager.

He’s in contract till 2026 (another fuck up) and probably a high severance agreement. 

He's not under pressure as long as MMBAWA is sung from the terraces...

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

The back 5 is ok. 

We no pace up front. 

If you think Gardner can pick a forward pass watch the match back, he should have been pulled after half an hour as his pass completion rate was abysmal, it was like watching an U9's match watching our dysfunctional midfield last night because he wasn't the only one struggling to find a white shirt.

• Like 2

Just now, yarddog73 said:

If you think Gardner can pick a forward pass watch the match back, he should have been pulled after half an hour as his pass completion rate was abysmal, it was like watching an U9's match watching our dysfunctional midfield last night because he wasn't the only one struggling to find a white shirt.

Get that bet cashed out Faz.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Get that bet cashed out Faz.

I'm tempted but can still see a scenario where we get ourselves involved, either we start winning in the next week or two or Mellon will be gone and the new man would instantly get a tune out of most of these because they don't listen to a fucking word Mellon, Brabin or Davies are barking at them.

We had four  midfielders last night and none combined with each other.  No support play or running off the ball, that's not down to ability it's down to poor management  and coaching. The general mind set of the players is weak, resorting to hoofing the ball when no one is readily making themselves available. 

They key to improve the team is improving the willingness to work for each other. 

Ironically, when the team went down to 10 men the resolve improved so it can be done. 

I don't know what they do in training but running around cones as we often see in videos isn't enough, team work from now on must be a priority. 

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

There’s no chance he’s under pressure from the board now. We’ve lost 1 game, are 2 points outside the play offs and have arguably missed enough simple chances to be about 6 points better off which would put us joint top. 

I think the board will be under pressure from Mellon to get a striker signing over the line. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm tempted but can still see a scenario where we get ourselves involved, either we start winning in the next week or two or Mellon will be gone and the new man would instantly get a tune out of most of these because they don't listen to a fucking word Mellon, Brabin or Davies are barking at them.

What is the role of Davies, I thought he was goalkeeping coach, if so why has Hudson gone backwards? 

At a recent home match one of the three on the sidelines was shouting for the team to push higher, another for the team drop back and another to keep their shape, no wonder the players are confused. 

I watched a recent interview with youth team coach Nicky Adams and it was refreshing to hear his positive attitude, which has translated to the players in matches. 

It could be we have someone similar to Pete Wild already within the club in Adams and along with last seasons inspiring youth team coach Chucks this is a pairing I'd go for should a change in management be required. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I said can. . as in, has the ability to. 

Like he did in the first game of the season. 

I thought Conlon would excel at that, but he only like passing sideways and backwards. 

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What is the role of Davies, I thought he was goalkeeping coach, if so why has Hudson gone backwards? 

At a recent home match one of the three on the sidelines was shouting for the team to push higher, another for the team drop back and another to keep their shape, no wonder the players are confused. 

I watch a recent interview with youth team coach Nicky Adams and it was refreshing to hear his positive attitude which had translated to the players in matches. 

It could be we have someone similar to Pete Wild already within the club in Adams and along with last seasons youth team coach Chucks this is a pairing I'd go for should a change in management was required. 

He was never that good to begin with, anyone was better than Norman though...

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I thought Conlon would excel at that, but he only like passing sideways and backwards. 

He can't play every minute of every game, as soon as he does one of two things happens, either his game suffers or he breaks down.

He should be used as a bit part player but we are sort of relying on him because he shows glimpses, it's not really what we need.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

There’s no chance he’s under pressure from the board now. We’ve lost 1 game, are 2 points outside the play offs and have arguably missed enough simple chances to be about 6 points better off which would put us joint top. 

I think the board will be under pressure from Mellon to get a striker signing over the line. 

Don't see it myself

Mellon's had more than enough free reign and yet again, we're in the same situation as before 

Adding player's in hope of finding a solution 

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He can't play every minute of every game, as soon as he does one of two things happens, either his game suffers or he breaks down.

He should be used as a bit part player but we are sort of relying on him because he shows glimpses, it's not really what we need.

Agreed. 

I’d go even further, and I said it in the summer;  for the limits of what he can offer now. He shouldn’t have been offered a new deal. 

We needed his wage on someone with legs not a bit part player. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Conlon can be a neat and tidy player, but rarely do we see players moving into space to support him. 

Lundstram won't do it, Gardner does his own thing and  Dolan looks unsure where he's supposed to play. 

Hammond isn't ready yet either. 

Charsley looks to have the abilliy to play in central midfield alongside Conlon as his distrubion is better than the others and he is always available. 

I wonder if MM a will try this when Charsley returns? 

Vert impressed with Ogle last night, if anyone should be captain based on inspiration it's him. 

I think you could play him in any outfield position and he'd give his all. 

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Conlon can be a neat and tidy player, but rarely do we see players moving into space to support him. 

Lumstram won't do it, Gardner does his own thing and  Dolan looks unsure where he's supposed to play. 

Hammond isn't ready yet either. 

Charsley looks to have the abilliy to play in central midfield alongside Conlon as his distrubion is better than the others and he is always available. 

I wonder if MM a will try this when Charsley returns? 

Vert impressed with Ogle last night, if anyone should be captain based on inspiration it's him. 

I think you could play him in any outfield position and he'd give his all. 

With that mullet he seems to be able to Marshall things very nicely