Micky Mellon Sack Watch

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

MM again in his interview saying all the right things, but is completely at odds with we what we are watching. 

Don’t think we are setting up to not win the game, I want to be a front foot team. 

Mmmm. Okaaaay. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Can't get it out of the player's he's got and the next 3 games are going to be more difficult than last nights,

Another 3 draws might be seen as a favourable outcome, given the reoccurring lapses 

I don't get the Mellon out hype. We've been better side in nearly all but one game this season. Results will come. Variance is playing a part. Don't harp back to last years record as the team was totally different. 

Bet we won the XG again last night. Better chances. Better team with ten men. Going for it, end to end. If he's as negative as some say he'd have shut up shop and not brought Norwood on.

Results will come.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Bet we won the XG again last night. 

Triffic. And the reason we didn't win the AG is because everyone knew we needed another striker and we got another twelvety non-scoring midfielders

• Like 1

Does anyone know what sort of money a manager earns at this level?

FC United have sacked their manager this morning and I nearly fell off my chair when I heard he was on over £100k a year (apparently he was duel role doing something else for the club as well, but still...)

7 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Does anyone know what sort of money a manager earns at this level?

FC United have sacked their manager this morning and I nearly fell off my chair when I heard he was on over £100k a year (apparently he was duel role doing something else for the club as well, but still...)

To early to sack a manager apparently. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

We had four  midfielders last night and none combined with each other.  No support play or running off the ball, that's not down to ability it's down to poor management  and coaching. The general mind set of the players is weak, resorting to hoofing the ball when no one is readily making themselves available. 

We were missing Hammond, Kay and Charsley last night.  The first two will be available this Saturday, even if only from the bench. As for Charsley, we've no idea when he is expected back because the club tend to keep the information on injuries to a minimum. Hammond & Charsley together at least give us a good work rate in the middle.

Khan is now suspended for the next game so that leaves Conlon, Gardner, Lundstram, Dolan, Hammond & Kay as midfield options.

It seems to me that MM has tried to play with three at the back and using two wingbacks out wide but I'm not sure that it is working...

It might be time to go 4-4-2 and play with two up top...

:peepwall:

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We were missing Hammond, Kay and Charsley last night.  The first two will be available this Saturday, even if only from the bench. As for Charsley, we've no idea when he is expected back because the club tend to keep the information on injuries to a minimum. Hammond & Charsley together at least give us a good work rate in the middle.

Khan is now suspended for the next game so that leaves Conlon, Gardner, Lundstram, Dolan, Hammond & Kay as midfield options.

It seems to me that MM has tried to play with three at the back and using two wingbacks out wide but I'm not sure that it is working...

It might be time to go 4-4-2 and play with two up top...

:peepwall:

One up top can only work when there is someone suitable to play that role. Nobody on our books is.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As for Charsley, we've no idea when he is expected back because the club tend to keep the information on injuries to a minimum.

I think in MM's post match presser on Saturday he mentioned it was a tight groin. He probably came off more precautionary rather than a major injury and he also seemed to walk round the pitch fairly freely.

I'd like him 100% fit and not risked because he's clearly the standout player in midfield and a regular 8/10 player.

27 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think in MM's post match presser on Saturday he mentioned it was a tight groin. He probably came off more precautionary rather than a major injury and he also seemed to walk round the pitch fairly freely.

I'd like him 100% fit and not risked because he's clearly the standout player in midfield and a regular 8/10 player.

Encouraging - we need his energy to compensate for the old dodderers alongside him 👀

3 hours ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

I don't get the Mellon out hype. We've been better side in nearly all but one game this season. Results will come. Variance is playing a part. Don't harp back to last years record as the team was totally different. 

Bet we won the XG again last night. Better chances. Better team with ten men. Going for it, end to end. If he's as negative as some say he'd have shut up shop and not brought Norwood on.

Results will come.

Aye thats what Micky keeps saying....

But a better XG means fuck all if you dont score! And we were no better than Halifax, or Southend, or Altringham over 90 mins.

We have only played Gateshead out of the current top 9 sides, so have had the easist start we could have wished for, and have only beaten the sides currently in 21st and 18th. It's a shit record whichever way you look at it, and the football is still miles of where it needs to be even after 12 months and 13 new signings.

Lose on Saturday and patience will begin to wear thin....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Results will come.

The pressure builds the longer this winless run goes on though it's alright  being the better side bit if you consistently don't beat teams it means little. Had we drawn last night off the back of 3 wins then you say fair enough it's a point away from home against opposition that we've struggled against in the past but it's off the back of 3 straight 1-1 draws no win in 6 and it's been 7 since we scored more than 1 goal.

Equally if we win the next 2 we could be back in the top 7 and we are saying 1 defeat after the first 10 then that's a solid start. We aren't at the sack the manager stage yet. We should only be there when it's a last resort but pressure is building and it can only be relieved by wins.

Edited by GlossopLatic

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The pressure builds the longer this winless run goes on though it's alright  being the better side bit if you consistently don't beat teams it means little. Had we drawn last night off the back of 3 wins then you say fair enough it's a point away from home against opposition that we've struggled against in the past but it's off the back of 3 straight 1-1 draws no win in 6 and it's been 7 since we scored more than 1 goal.

Equally if we win the next 2 we could be back in the top 7 abdcwe are saying 1 defeat after the first 10 then that's a solid start. We aren't at the sack the manager stage yet. We should only be there when it's a last resort but pressure is building and it can only be relieved by wins.

The unrest isn't just about draws it's about consistently poor performces particularly at home. 

Fans want a good match experience these days on and off the field especially if being asked to pay £35 for on the day admission and for a bite to eat and and a drink. 

I don't live far from the ground and there's no anticipation of being uplifted walking to the match never mind  a long car ride for some, in fact it's a drudge. 

Surely the board discuss this as sponsors don't want falling attendances as less people will see their advertised products.

If careful the club are going to lose big money and I doubt Frank's family can sustain that. 

Get it right with exhilarating crowd drawing performances on the field and the rest will follow. 

Ufortunately, I see nothing changing as it's gone on far too long and apathy is setting in. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

The unrest isn't just about draws it's about consistently poor performces particularly at home. 

Fans want a good match experience these days on and off the field especially if being asked to pay £35 for on the day admission and for a bite to eat and and a drink. 

I don't live far from the ground and there's no anticipation of being uplifted walking to the match never mind  a long car ride for some, in fact it's a drudge. 

Surely the board discuss this as sponsors don't want falling attendances as less people will see their advertised products.

If careful the club are going to lose big money and I doubt Frank's family can sustain that. 

Get it right with exhilarating crowd drawing performances on the field and the rest will follow. 

Ufortunately, I see nothing changing as it's gone on far too long and apathy is setting in. 

Of the 4 home games this season the performances save the first 45 on Saturday have been fine enough for this level of football we could gave won all 4 and if so would now be sat top of the league. So I don't think home performances this season in isolation have been that bad I sm concerned thet recently performances are tailing off. The admission issue well all that really requires is the smallest bit of forward planning I.e. logging on the night before to buy tickets which will take minutes and you save yourself a fiver straight away £20 is probably about right for this level of football. So the £25 arguement can be very easily got round.

The catering definitely needs to be better and should have been addressed before the season started a tenner for a pie and a pint isn't good value for money and even then they aren't the best quality. That still needs addressing.

I'd say apathy is creeping in rather than setting in. The Rothwells have had the 2 year honeymoon period and still very much have plenty of credit in the bank from supporters but a sustained promotion push should be seen as a very realistic expectation. I don't think they are going to completely turn the taps off now or for a while yet but the pockets are only so deep. They do know what they are getting themselves in for I'm not worried at all yet.

The biggest problem for me what we really have and you've kind of touched upon it is the history of let downs and false dawns so a run of 6 games without a win has seen the mood go from optimism after Wealdstone to here we go again after Halifax. Turning that round won't be easy but as Lennin once said "sometimes you can go decades where nothing happens then weeks where decades happen" we could be sat here in 2 weeks off the back of 3 straight wins and be in a title race. But we are going to have to find a breakthrough in the way we play particularly in the final third.

As someone who has to drive 30-40 minutes there and another 30-40 back I still get the buzz maybe I'm of a sunny disposition I don't know I'm frustrated by the draws and the lack of ruthlessness infront of goal but it's not like I'm staring into the abyss their is a way out here. Theirs a long way to go and there is no reason why we cantvstill win promotion from here.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

we could be sat here in 2 weeks off the back of 3 straight wins and be in a title race.

Being a Latics fan you just know it’s not happening which brings me to the main problem.

After 30+ years of abject failure we are programmed and almost conditioned to doom & gloom.

It’s been so long since we had any sort of success that it’s almost part of our culture.

The older fans like myself have seen the good days and then the almost perpetual decline whereas the younger fans haven’t seen anything of note at all. 
We are really lucky to have the Athleticos and its high time the club gave them something to shout about.

What happens on the pitch is paramount to everything off it….get a successful team and everything becomes so much easier.

We will not progress as a football club until we’ve addressed it!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Being a Latics fan you just know it’s not happening which brings me to the main problem.

After 30+ years of abject failure we are programmed and almost conditioned to doom & gloom.

It’s been so long since we had any sort of success that it’s almost part of our culture.

The older fans like myself have seen the good days and then the almost perpetual decline whereas the younger fans haven’t seen anything of note at all. 
We are really lucky to have the Athleticos and its high time the club gave them something to shout about.

What happens on the pitch is paramount to everything off it….get a successful team and everything becomes so much easier.

Oh yeah I know like I said we are all in here we go again mode I started supporting us in 1990 little did I know that, that first 4 years were the exception rather than the norm. But at some point it will change and we will see somekind of success. 

• Like 1

I was positive after four or five games despite a defeat and a couple of draws where we only turned up for 45 minutes, problem I have now only a couple of games later is we've reverted back to last seasons form and are unable to snap out of it, I'm not of the same opinion as Mellon that we've had a tough run of fixtures.

Aldershot who hammered us have scraped past Maidenhead and drawn with bottom team Ebbsfleet for their only points since.

Fylde who took a point at BP have picked up one point in four games since. 

We've arguably played Southend and Altrincham at really good times, neither have started well and Southend played without a recognised striker and a bench short of it's full quota yet we've still struggled to put any team away convincingly other than a team who'd just recently turned from semi pro to full time containing ten new starters.

When you look in to it it makes grim reading particularly as we have so many players underperformed, Norwood looks a million miles off it and despite having a really strong defence we don't look close to keeping a clean sheet these days.

My biggest fear now though is Mellon, he wasn't able to halt an alarming slide last season so what's to suggest he can do this?, he's still fucking about with the likes of Reid, bringing him in to the squad for what? We've been chasing games like last night and his pace in behind that defence running the channels was just what we needed on that vast playing surface but what does he do?, goes like for like bringing Norwood on for Fondop, I don't really care what Mellons done previous anymore I want to see results and for whatever reason it's just not happening, players appear to not listen to him because we have to suffer 45 minutes of shite most weeks before they decide to turn up, on the pitch we've no leaders who can galvanise and grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

That pitch looked too big for our players last night, Halifax moved it around really well, sliced through us at will and really with a decent forward to compliment Waters would have put us away, somethings got to change because at the moment I don't see us getting much more than a couple of points from our next three fixtures and that really would give the board something to think about, I'm afraid if we don't get a win at Woking the Yeovil game could start to become a bit toxic and that's only going to end one way particularly if Mellon starts to challenge the fans despite overseeing just 4 home wins in the 22 matches he's been in charge, that in itself is an unbelievable statistic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Results will come.

I'm going to ask the question because I'm totally at a loss, what the f... Is XG. 

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Spot on

Sometimes it's like a curse being old and remembering just what we witnessed and trying to put it over in a way they'd understand,

I hope there's something good comes from all of this and the youngster's have their day in the sun.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

What, like a prediction. 

I think it's based on analysis of previous goals scored, so calculates the likelihood of a certain shot or move resulting in a goal. So a header like Fondop's last night would be a greater xG than a shot from 40 yards. So a higher xG than your opponent means you're creating better chances

I suppose its useful for coaching and backroom stuff. Carries little meaning for supporters really.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

What, like a prediction. 

It's a statistic which tells you based on chances created how many goals you're likely to score and concede based on probability.

As an example against Gateshead at home we were expected to concede 0.15 xG and from chances created score about 2.8 xG, obviously we drew the game 1-1 but that scoreline doesn't reflect the balance of the game.

Basically Hudson let one in he should save 9 out of 10 times and we miss the equivalent of about three absolute sitters.