Micky Mellon Sack Watch

Just now, yarddog73 said:

It's a statistic which tells you based on chances created how many goals you're likely to score and concede based on probability.

As an example against Gateshead at home we were expected to concede 0.15 xG and from chances created score about 2.8 xG, obviously we drew the game 1-1 but that scoreline doesn't reflect the balance of the game.

Basically Hudson let one in he should save 9 out of 10 times and we miss the equivalent of about three absolute sitters.

Or, to put it another way, bollocks!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

One up top can only work when there is someone suitable to play that role. Nobody on our books is.

We havn't had the players fit or good enough to play two up front yet. So his hands are tied untill Norwood and Garner are back to full fitness . And before anybody says what about Reid forget it .

2 hours ago, penrhyn said:

We havn't had the players fit or good enough to play two up front yet. So his hands are tied untill Norwood and Garner are back to full fitness . And before anybody says what about Reid forget it .

The excuses are out early :) hes had all summer to correct it rather than rely on 2 34+year old. He has to be accountable for this as he's the manager of the team.

Stop giving him a cop out

2 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Signed lord knows how many midfielders, none of whom have been regular scorers in their careers, and no strikers. He has tied his own hands

1 hour ago, Charles or Eddie said:

The excuses are out early :) hes had all summer to correct it rather than rely on 2 34+year old. He has to be accountable for this as he's the manager of the team.

Stop giving him a cop out

In fairness,

Even at that age, you'd expect a good haul of goals from both of them at this level, with the right service, something he's struggled to address.

Obviously, you take your chance on injury problems which is the main downside.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

In fairness,

Even at that age, you'd expect a good haul of goals from both of them at this level, with the right service, something he's struggled to address.

Obviously, you take your chance on injury problems which is the main downside.

Garner has never scored that many

goals. He was a needles signing at the time, stuck with him now. 

• Like 1

Norwood and Garner either both reported back with injuries or broke down on the first couple of days of training, given their age recovery was always going to be on the slower side and we were told both were expected to be out for around 3 months, Norwoods managed to get back quicker and Garner is probably on track for that, neither are going to be anywhere match fit for at least a month and that's if they ever really get where they need to be.

Given Mellon has never fancied Fondop or Reid for that matter is it any wonder we are short in what is arguably the most important area of the pitch, he refuses to use Reid who might as well be put on gardening leave if that's the case and has looked for every opportunity to drop Fondop even though he has to keep going back to him to dig himself out of the shit (great character by Fondop by the way).

Again I put it down to failing or lazy recruitment, we knew at the start of pre season in early July the situation we were in, pressure was always going to be on if results didn't materialise and we never ever seem to have a Plan B or C, even an emergency 3 month youth loan would have give us options, there must be someone out there who could do a job for us who'd relish the chance but what we've done is chased a couple of players, one who'd retired and another whose club said was out of reach from day 1, that's just amateur. 

Preseason showed everyone our deficiencies, it's been a huge risk starting the season with just Fondop and it's put a huge amount of pressure on the lad to deliver which all things considered he's doing his best to shoulder but he needs some help, I'm not even sure Norwood and Garner are suited to the way we play now and we'll struggle to get the best out of either when they do return.

The way we play wouldn’t suit any striker…I don’t even know what our way of playing is?

Unfortunately, barring one or two exceptions, I think we have brought in a whole host of generally average players who are working with a very average coach/manager.

Watching the Halifax midfielders and forward’s movement, passing & general awareness really brought it home to me that we are miles off where we want to be.

MM says we’re getting there but I’m not convinced. It looks to me like he is hoping we get better rather than it being the result of a game plan.

I’m ’hoping’ we can improve myself but I have to say I am very very underwhelmed by what I’ve seen so far!

• Like 1

Reid isn't the next coming of Harry Kane but you look at his record which is more or less a goal every three games throughout his career, lots at this level, and just wonder why the bloody hell he's not worth the odd game, especially when he's been on the bench for some. Nonsensical.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Garner has never scored that many

goals. He was a needles signing at the time, stuck with him now. 

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You've got a point.

We can't pin all our hopes on him 😂.

• Like 2

We need a striker that provides some energy and can finish chances. All our current strikers fail in one of these areas (yes, even Norwood). 

Why this hasn’t been rectified I’ll never know. It’s this seasons right back situation. 

Norwood and Garner you might aswell right off until Christmas. To miss a full pre season at 34 and 37 is a potential career changer for them. Garner was already looking sluggish last season. 

Reid issue is self explanatory and Fondop is nothing more than an impact player. 

I am glad we didn’t sign Smith, he would only have added to the problems we currently have given his age. So we need to be in the market for an energetic striker who can finish chances, asap. 

Otherwise, this will continue to be us like I said 3 games ago. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Reid isn't the next coming of Harry Kane but you look at his record which is more or less a goal every three games throughout his career, lots at this level, and just wonder why the bloody hell he's not worth the odd game, especially when he's been on the bench for some. Nonsensical.

Think Mellon is a thick skinned individual Dave and finds it hard to forgive...

Norwood has either been hampered by, out with, or recovering from an injury since about January time. At his age, that's going to massively impact his effectiveness. 

Even getting Stones on a short term loan would be big for us at this stage as it gives more breathing space to allow for Norwood and Garner to get up to full match fitness. Then go after Stones or someone similar (pace/power) in the January window.

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Think Mellon is a thick skinned individual Dave and finds it hard to forgive...

I'm sure that's true but he's got him on the bench. If he's got no intention of ever playing him again that's mad

Edited by Dave_Og

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Norwood has either been hampered by, out with, or recovering from an injury since about January time. At his age, that's going to massively impact his effectiveness. 

Even getting Stones on a short term loan would be big for us at this stage as it gives more breathing space to allow for Norwood and Garner to get up to full match fitness. Then go after Stones or someone similar (pace/power) in the January window.

Speaking of loanees…Nuttall wasn’t in the squad for Saturday’s game and only came on in the 95 minute on Tuesday.

Any chance we could recall him? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

We need a striker that provides some energy and can finish chances. All our current strikers fail in one of these areas (yes, even Norwood). 

Why this hasn’t been rectified I’ll never know. It’s this seasons right back situation. 

Norwood and Garner you might aswell right off until Christmas. To miss a full pre season at 34 and 37 is a potential career changer for them. Garner was already looking sluggish last season. 

Reid issue is self explanatory and Fondop is nothing more than an impact player. 

I am glad we didn’t sign Smith, he would only have added to the problems we currently have given his age. So we need to be in the market for an energetic striker who can finish chances, asap. 

Otherwise, this will continue to be us like I said 3 games ago. 

We had one in Alfie Atheton, but he was never given a game by MM and now doing well in Sheffield United under 21s. 

I often wonder if he would have signed the contact offered to him here if had been given the chance of first team football? 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We had one in Alfie Atheton, but he was never given a game by MM and now doing well in Sheffield United under 21s. 

I often wonder if he would have signed the contact offered to him here if had been given the chance of first team football? 

Probably not.