Micky Mellon Sack Watch

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We had one in Alfie Atheton, but he was never given a game by MM and now doing well in Sheffield United under 21s. 

I often wonder if he would have signed the contact offered to him here if had been given the chance of first team football? 

Nobody knows. I see the last great striking prospect from the youth team, Jake Forshaw, has got one goal in ten appearances for Abbey Hey in NWCL. Many on here were clamouring for him to get a chance.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Nobody knows. I see the last great striking prospect from the youth team, Jake Forshaw, has got one goal in ten appearances for Abbey Hey in NWCL. Many on here were clamouring for him to get a chance.

I never recommended Forshaw. Atherton is different class as Sheffield United are finding. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he played in their first team before the year is out. 

Edited by BP1960

It's quite depressing to have the early season optimism burst after a few games. Looking in from the outside, because I don't see the football at the moment, it appears the team have slid backwards into the mediocrity and lack of urgency from last season, which is extremely baffling and frustrating.

So far, Mickey "I know what good looks like" Mellon's signings have not had the impact we hoped for but then again, it's early days. However, the lack of pace and power up front is glaringly obvious. How and when the club finds that requirement is becoming more urgent by the game.

I suspect more frustration to come for the near future, at least.

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I never recommended Forshaw. Atherton is different class as Sheffield United are finding. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he played in their first team before the year is out. 

I didn't say you had. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We had one in Alfie Atheton, but he was never given a game by MM and now doing well in Sheffield United under 21s. 

I often wonder if he would have signed the contact offered to him here if had been given the chance of first team football? 

Why didn't you say?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Garner has never scored that many

goals. He was a needles signing at the time, stuck with him now. 

This was largely down to Paul Murray who convinced the Rothwells (he sold the dream to Judith in this case with Frank being away in his boat) that he'd fire us to promotion and to take him on an 18 month as a small price to pay for doing so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

This was largely down to Paul Murray who convinced the Rothwells (he sold the dream to Judith in this case with Frank being away in his boat) that he'd fire us to promotion and to take him on an 18 month as a small price to pay for doing so.

This surely cannot be true ? 

5 hours ago, Wardie said:

So far, Mickey "I know what good looks like" Mellon's signings have not had the impact we hoped for

I think most of them have. Monthe, Charsley, Ogle and Caprice have had a very positive impact. Jes is exciting, but since teams have stuck a man on him, he needs to learn to rise above that. Can't say much about most of the rest although Kay helped set up the winner at Wealdstone.

I suppose you could argue Conlon has been a let down, but he could come good in time, once he settles on a preferred midfield formula.

This 'know what good looks like' line gets quoted back at him too lazily. It was clearly a response to criticism landing on him as our disjointed squad fell apart in the run-in last season. Most of his summer signings proved he knows what a good player is.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think most of them have. Monthe, Charsley, Ogle and Caprice have had a very positive impact. Jes is exciting, but since teams have stuck a man on him, he needs to learn to rise above that. Can't say much about most of the rest although Kay helped set up the winner at Wealdstone.

I suppose you could argue Conlon has been a let down, but he could come good in time, once he settles on a preferred midfield formula.

This 'know what good looks like' line gets quoted back at him too lazily. It was clearly a response to criticism landing on him as our disjointed squad fell apart in the run-in last season. Most of his summer signings proved he knows what a good player is.

The truth is we all know what “very good” looks like. We can’t afford them, or they won’t drop 3 league to come to us. 

So we are relying on Mellon picking the “good “ players who are slightly better then the very average players we have. However at this level it appears even more difficult to pick a group of players prepared to run for each other and for the team. Even more difficult to keep the motivation to do so throughout the season, or for that matter, through a run of games! Maybe that is where MM falls down.

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

That’s not right, he was talking about style of play, what good teams do, what good players do, what makes a team successful. He wasn’t saying I’m capable of picking a good player. Any of us can do that, as evidenced by the Majority saying Monthe and Charsley have been his two best signings. 

Just out of interest for those of the belief that we can't attract decent players despite having the highest wage bill in the NL by some distance, how do teams like Halifax, Gateshead, Barnet, Wealdstone, you could go on actually,operate on home crowds of less than 1000, they manage to pass the ball about, work off the ball, put the hard yards in, they've gone out and found players with the necessary desire to compete in the NL and are paying them less than 1k a week to do so.

This myth that we should be paying them more to drop down three divisions is just that, whoever is spending the Rothwells money is doing it frivolously, recruitment in this division and buying the right type of player is key but time and time again you'd have to say our business is questionable.

How many signing can we honestly say have improved us in the past 2 years, I'd say Raglan, Monthe, Ogle, Charsley, Stones and that's probably about it for me the rest we could probably have done without, we've visited lesser clubs and consistently took their lesser players when we could have done better;

Lundstrum - Conn-Clarke 

Nuttall - Ogle

Kay - Haughton

Uchegbulam - Sinclair

Imagine if we'd have brought in the four on the right as opposed to the four we've been lumbered with on the left, whose in charge of recruitment?, who looked at Jez and thought he's a better player than Sinclair or Dale's replacement for him for that matter Allarakhia who was outstanding for Wealdstone wide left last season and is miles in front of Jez.

The serious issue here is that we continue to waste vast amounts of money because we have no conceivable plan, we've got the highest wage bill in the League yet our only striking option getting on for a quarter of the way in to the season is Fondop whose got his limitations, then the manager comes out and states that missing chances is killing us, no shit sherlock. What we fucking doing about it then because that will just continue given you probably need to give Garner and Norwood till the end of September to even get near fit enough and that if neither breaks down.

Until recruitment is ironed out we'll continue to struggle and money will just get pissed down the drain on players we don't need or could of got better with. It really isn't about us not paying these players enough it's quite the opposite, many are picking up EFL wages and performing like NPL players and that's a fact, where's the incentive in that for them to put the hard yards in or go that little bit harder?, our wage bill for the level is frightening and still we have a squad with obvious weaknesses in midfield and upfront. 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Just out of interest for those of the belief that we can't attract decent players despite having the highest wage bill in the NL by some distance, how do teams like Halifax, Gateshead, Barnet, Wealdstone, you could go on actually,operate on home crowds of less than 1000, they manage to pass the ball about, work off the ball, put the hard yards in, they've gone out and found players with the necessary desire to compete in the NL and are paying them less than 1k a week to do so.

This myth that we should be paying them more to drop down three divisions is just that, whoever is spending the Rothwells money is doing it frivolously, recruitment in this division and buying the right type of player is key but time and time again you'd have to say our business is questionable.

How many signing can we honestly say have improved us in the past 2 years, I'd say Raglan, Monthe, Ogle, Charsley, Stones and that's probably about it for me the rest we could probably have done without, we've visited lesser clubs and consistently took their lesser players when we could have done better;

Lundstrum - Conn-Clarke 

Nuttall - Ogle

Kay - Haughton

Uchegbulam - Sinclair

Imagine if we'd have brought in the four on the right as opposed to the four we've been lumbered with on the left, whose in charge of recruitment?, who looked at Jez and thought he's a better player than Sinclair or Dale's replacement for him for that matter Allarakhia who was outstanding for Wealdstone wide left last season and is miles in front of Jez.

The serious issue here is that we continue to waste vast amounts of money because we have no conceivable plan, we've got the highest wage bill in the League yet our only striking option getting on for a quarter of the way in to the season is Fondop whose got his limitations, then the manager comes out and states that missing chances is killing us, no shit sherlock. What we fucking doing about it then because that will just continue given you probably need to give Garner and Norwood till the end of September to even get near fit enough and that if neither breaks down.

Until recruitment is ironed out we'll continue to struggle and money will just get pissed down the drain on players we don't need or could of got better with. It really isn't about us not paying these players enough it's quite the opposite, many are picking up EFL wages and performing like NPL players and that's a fact, where's the incentive in that for them to put the hard yards in or go that little bit harder?, our wage bill for the level is frightening and still we have a squad with obvious weaknesses in midfield and upfront. 

Spot on Yardy. 

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It really isn't about us not paying these players enough it's quite the opposite, many are picking up EFL wages and performing like NPL players and that's a fact, where's the incentive in that for them to put the hard yards in or go that little bit harder?,

I think this is a massive issue in terms of playing in patches, and lacking tempo for ninety minutes. A lot of them are still turning it on and off. 

Who can we rely on for a ninety minute performance consistently? 

Raglan. 
Monthe

Ogle

Charsley. 

Only one of them wasn’t signed this summer. .  

It also explains the chasm between what Mellon says he wants and what we watch. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Players should reflect their manager and they’re not doing

Unfortunately, I think that is exactly what they are doing!!

Edited by oafc1955

I’m in no way endorsing our recruitment since we dropped out of the EFL (coz some of it has been truly shocking), but don’t forget Lundstram syndrome.

Crowd size and expectation levels are much higher for us than the likes of Halifax, Gateshead, Barnet, Wealdstone and even Rochdale.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

I’m in no way endorsing our recruitment since we dropped out of the EFL (coz some of it has been truly shocking), but don’t forget Lundstram syndrome.

Crowd size and expectation levels are much higher for us than the likes of Halifax, Gateshead, Barnet, Wealdstone and even Rochdale.

This is very true. Player have to start well, they can’t sit here and develop for 2 years, they won’t have that luxury given our current position. 

I am sure this drives Mellons recruitment. 

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The bottom line will be always be. 

Players should reflect their manager and they’re not doing. 

You can’t change 20 players overnight. . . 

As the great Keith Curle once said, if you can't change the players then change the players.

Just now, JohnnyPimp said:

I know I pipe up on here but my expectations are pretty low because that is effectively how most of us have been tuned in now.

What grips my shit though is watching our players go out and play like it doesn't really matter, cruise around, lack desire and all the traits sadly lacking as a supporter you expect as a minimum, only to come out a different team the second half and a goal down because Mellon's give them a rocket or had to remind them that they should be playing further up the pitch or to get a shot off or show some desire and competitiveness, this has been described as character fighting back in games but I'd describe it as stupidity for allowing it to happen in the first place, surely it's not the plan so players are going out and effectively ignoring everything that's been worked on in the week and doing their own thing for 45, that's not the sign of a good team, good teams don't need micro managing in any walk of life and footballs no different, given the experience in that bunch if standards slip it should be called out but too many are just happy to cruise on by, half hearted press, weak passing, not working back for the team, showing under pressure or finding that pocket away from your man that allows us to play a bit more, being brave and wanting the football.

They can do it because we've seen it when we've needed a reaction so why can't that mindset be sustained throughout a 90 minutes, even the Halifax commentator made reference to us only being a 45 minute team so that label will be the next to stick. We upped our game down to ten men on Tuesday, we did exactly what we should be doing with 11 on the pitch and that's working 10% harder for each other to compensate, making smarter decisions, that would probably be the difference between drawing and winning a few more games and helping us towards a successful season instead of another disappointing one.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

BP is hardly a coludron of seething hate, just another easy excuse that gets thrown out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The bottom line will be always be. 

Players should reflect their manager and they’re not doing. 

You can’t change 20 players overnight. . . 

If you pulled one after 20 or 30 minutes whose not doing his job it might make the rest refocus, if they are going out there and not doing what's asked of them why are they staying on the pitch, with 5 subs now and a deeper bench give someone else an opportunity to prove themselves.

The Rothwell bounce is clearly subsiding. Sponsorship opportunities are still available for our next two home games against Yeovil & FGR whereas I think last season they were sold out weeks in advance!

Add that to our obvious drop in attendances and I think it’s safe to say our income has probably been reduced quite significantly!

If this winless run continues for any length of time I think the board may have a decision to make!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

As soon as I read that re Lundstram I wrote off his chances of success.

33 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If you pulled one after 20 or 30 minutes whose not doing his job it might make the rest refocus, if they are going out there and not doing what's asked of them why are they staying on the pitch, with 5 subs now and a deeper bench give someone else an opportunity to prove themselves.

Agreed.