Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Nothing wrong with a daft discussion IMO.

I think it's a delicate balance and I am not sure which side I am on - I was stating what I think the purpose of it was.

Historically there was always (at least in my lifetime of memory) 3 competitions - European Cup, UEFA Cup, and Cup-Winners Cup.  The changes have all been about 2 things IMO - one maximise the money by having more games; two ensure more clubs can rely on the income by increasing the number of teams that qualify.

Being a football supporter is in part that we have the dream of success....and the addition of more competitions, more teams qualifying or having a chance, means that 'dream' is more available to more supporters.

The introduction of the play-offs for promotion was one such change (Latics felt the pain of that in 86/87) - it doesn't necessarily reward the best teams, but it makes it more exciting for the supporters of more teams for longer in the season.

Without the FA Trophy etc, many supporters would never have the hope of seeing their team win a cup at Wembley.

The 'merit' of a FA Trophy, or a Conference League, of a team finishing 4th winning the Champions League - or even of a team finishing 7th getting promoted - is debatable and would never compare to winning a league, of the FA Cup etc.   But football is in the entertainment business, and it does make more games for more teams have something to play for.

It depends what way you look at it.  If it's just about making money then yeah, bring on the cup competitions - it's why Premier League teams go and play all these pre-season competitions in Asia and America, etc.  But surely the dream of a football supporter is winning a cup worth winning?  It's the difference between Latics winning the league this season and winning the National League Cup.

Sadly money seems to be the most desired prize in football ahead of prestige, history and respect from peers.