Playing Squad - Summer 24

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Probably still need to move three or four on from the following;

Norman

Hogan

Ward

Willoughby 

Reid

I'd also be tempted to move on Raglan or Hobson and if there's interest in Hudson let him go as well as he probably has it in him to play a couple of rungs higher. 

If that can happen then it will be a pretty major rebuild.

Why would you move someone on who you think could play a couple of rungs higher unless you are desperate for the cash  surely that would weaken us 

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Biscuit legs and a good rendition of Fog on the Tyne.

The only good performance of his I can remember was at Woking and what I would take from that was tidy footballer, decent engine,

If he gets a good pre-season and stays fit maybe we'll see more?

It is difficult to properly assess any of the crop of midfielders brought in by Unsworth and Mellon.

Other than Sheron & Shelton who for some strange reason seemed to play week in week out, none of them got a proper run in the team and the cameo roles they were given, usually when the game was already lost, resulted in them playing in unfamiliar positions almost anywhere across the middle of the park.

Last season like the previous one was an absolute shit show. I think having a ridiculously large playing squad to pick from may have been part of the problem as we hardly ever fielded the same line up in successive games! Keeping 35 players happy & motivated must have been a bloody nightmare!

Just like my opinion of the players, I have no idea whether MM will be good enough to get us to the top of this division but I don’t think he can be properly judged until he gets a few of his own players in.

A trimmed down squad with a bit more quality would be my preference.

He definitely needs a good start.

If we are still struggling after 10 games or so he’s going to be under huge pressure.

The first couple of months of the season will be interesting to say the least!

3 hours ago, Handsy said:

Why would you move someone on who you think could play a couple of rungs higher unless you are desperate for the cash  surely that would weaken us 

If we got a fee I don't think it would be bad business all round, I'm happy if he stays but if we got something for him and it suits everyone I'd be cashing in. 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If we got a fee I don't think it would be bad business all round, I'm happy if he stays but if we got something for him and it suits everyone I'd be cashing in. 

I think he’s probably amongst the best keepers in the division and could certainly play higher!
Who would you replace him with?

We’ve had some shocking keepers in recent times and there ain’t too many decent keepers knocking about.

The only ones who I think won’t be here out of the current lot come the start of the season now are Reid and maybe Willoughby, imo. 

Reckon we’ll be stuck with Hogan and Norman (2 of the apparent lads who where told to find new clubs). 

There was no talk that Ward had been told to find another club as far as I can remember or was he included?

Reid will go

24 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

The only ones who I think won’t be here out of the current lot come the start of the season now are Reid and maybe Willoughby, imo. 

Reckon we’ll be stuck with Hogan and Norman (2 of the apparent lads who where told to find new clubs). 

There was no talk that Ward had been told to find another club as far as I can remember or was he included?

Reid will go

Reid won't be out of here.....Reid will go??

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Would appear that Reid is back in consideration. 

He said the same sort of stuff last season when his suspension was over. Would be surprised if he stays and plays. 

Edited by adamoafc

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Hudson 

Ogle

Monthe

Hobson 

Kitch

Kay 

Charsley

Conlon 

The lad from Dale. 

Norwood

Reid

Bench. 
Norm

Sutton 

Rags

Lundy

Hammond 

Garner 

Mikey 

The proof will be in the pudding, but that has a lot better balance. 

I'll be surprised if Lundstram isn't a starter. The lad from dale will be on the bench, as will Reid (if he's not been shipped out). 

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'll be surprised if Lundstram isn't a starter. The lad from dale will be on the bench, as will Reid (if he's not been shipped out). 

Lundy- who according to Mellon ‘has struggled to adapt to playing for a big club’ . . . I’m sure he’ll play his part, but I think Mellon will protect him from automatic choice for first 11. 

I want wingers to play where wingers play, not centre mids doing a job. If not the Dale lad I hope it’s a new signing. 

I’m easy with Reid either way, happy for him to stay as he offers something different. Wouldn’t blink if it meant we could get stones over line. (Or someone similar) 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Lundy- who according to Mellon ‘has struggled to adapt to playing for a big club’ . . . I’m sure he’ll play his part, but I think Mellon will protect him from automatic choice for first 11. 

You might be right. For me he has the most potential. 

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You might be right. For me he has the most potential. 

He’s odd one for me, I’m not sure what he is. He’s not a baller, he doesn’t chip in with goals. At his best he just looks tidy player, who does the basics well. 

What do you think/see in him?