Transfer Rumours 24/25

Plenty on here highlight that Fondop needs talking through a game but perhaps Sutton needs the same as he's failed to "move up" with the back line when he has been played in the correct position.

I wouldn't dismiss him as some have but am not convinced he could play at much higher levels as others maintain.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Plenty on here highlight that Fondop needs talking through a game but perhaps Sutton needs the same as he's failed to "move up" with the back line when he has been played in the correct position.

I wouldn't dismiss him as some have but am not convinced he could play at much higher levels as others maintain.

Centre backs can mature with time, look how many slated Cameron Burgess when he was here. He's still young and will undoubtedly learn IMO. 

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Centre backs can mature with time, look how many slated Cameron Burgess when he was here. He's still young and will undoubtedly learn IMO. 

Fair enough you're convinced he'll play at a much higher level, I'm not. 

I just don’t see it. Sutton will be gone at the end of the season, certainly if Mellon is here. There is no chance he will go higher than L2 and even that I’d be surprised. The youngsters who moved on such as Hamer at least showed something. How long do we need to wait for him to show something?  

Like I say, there’s a reason he’s not fancied behind someone who isn’t fancied…

4 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Tom Hamer has carved a steady career as a league one player so I wouldn’t write Sutton off.

He has the right physique and defenders don’t mature until later.

Hobson might improve as he matures but the rest of them are as good as they are ever going to be.

it would be interesting to see where Sutton is after 50  consecutive games as a centre back. 

Just now, b0ndl1ne said:

Tom Hamer has carved a steady career as a league one player so I wouldn’t write Sutton off.

He has the right physique and defenders don’t mature until later.

Hobson might improve as he matures but the rest of them are as good as they are ever going to be.

it would be interesting to see where Sutton is after 50  consecutive games as a centre back. 

Hamer looked a half decent prospect time and time again though. 

Sutton gets absolutely rinsed everytime he plays no matter the position. No pace, can’t dribble, can’t pass, doesn’t exactly dominate in the air. He started CB at Alty away back end of last season and it was a travesty. He’s also 22 in a few week, when will he show something? 

I legit 100% hope I turn out wrong and he becomes a big player for Latics but I can’t see it. We need miles better even as a backup. 

14 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Sutton gets absolutely rinsed everytime he plays no matter the position. No pace, can’t dribble, can’t pass, doesn’t exactly dominate in the air. He started CB at Alty away back end of last season and it was a travesty. He’s also 22 in a few week, when will he show something? 

I legit 100% hope I turn out wrong and he becomes a big player for Latics but I can’t see it. We need miles better even as a backup. 

Very very harsh on Sutton that. Him and Hamer are very similar, both got a mistake in them because they’re learning the game. But loads of potential.

Also Hamer wasn’t asked to play out of position for the vast majority of his appearances and then judged in a position completely alien to him. 

• Like 1

Hamer actually had a rough start and wasn't rated much by quite a few people on here at the time. 

We are going to need back up and for that reason we shouldn't even entertain moving out Sutton.

Squadrophobia Appears to still be a thing amongst us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Hamer along with a succession of players particularly young defenders got absolute pelters on here from plenty, majority have gone on to do just fine away from Latics, Sutton will be another. Going back to when Tarky played for us we still had some on here criticising him, knocking his positioning, his pace, etc...... he's not done too bad for himself despite what all the shrewdies thought.

Yep, I was a Tarky doubter, never thought he had the pace (though I never slated him, just doubted his potential).

Boy was I wrong about what he could achieve. 

It’s why I’m circumspect about jumping to criticise these days (that, and like many clubs’ fans, I’m not sure we always value the right attributes).

• Like 1

If we remember properly with Tarky it took him 3 years before we really saw him come into his own, in that time he at times lost his man, got done for pace, and was still developing physically but he came good. 

We seem to think a player will come good after a year or 6 months but in reality it usually takes a few years of ups and downs before the become the player they are meant to be and if we are going to have a youth system of any kind then we need to give players like Sutton time to develop he is still learning.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

Hope I’m wrong lads but I’m yet to even see potential. There’s about 3 games where I’ve felt he was decent. He’s 5th choice out of 5 CB’s and 1 of them we don’t even want to keep. 

Granted CB is our strongest area…

He’ll get a run at some point no doubt due to injuries, we’ll see how he gets on…

Roy said in commentry that Notts County have enquired about Hudson and are watching him again tonight. Baulked at initial price but are there again tonight .

Edited by penrhyn
typo

Guest O.A.F.C.
18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Stones there tonight...

I see that more of an indication he's not coming here on loan if he's sat in the stand supporting us...

Edited by O.A.F.C.

56 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Roy said in commentry that Notts County have enquired about Hudson and are watching him again tonight. Baulked at initial price but are there again tonight .

Steve Collis will have bigged him up. He was our keeper coach until he joined County in the summer.

Wouldn't want to lose Hudson unless it's for serious six-figures