Transfer Rumours 24/25

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So near and yet so far. . even Mellon has said we need to take our chances in 3 of the 5 games so far. The fine margins are costing us. 

You’re right of course, that we might win a lot of low scoring games and finish in the playoffs with a low goals scored record. But I can’t see it myself. 

I agree they have cost us in the first 5 games but we’ve only had 1 of our 2 best strikers available for 60 mins of that and we’re still right in amongst the other pre season favourites. So yes, things need to improve but we have our own players to come in who should improve us.

I’m not saying we won’t or shouldn’t bring another striker in, I’m just saying given our injuries to Norwood and Garner I don’t think you can write off the current squad yet as not being capable of scoring enough goals. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yep, but only after Stockport had released him from his contract. I'm pretty certain we couldn't sign Stones permanently after tonight unless Wigan paid him up and released him...

If we want to sign Stones, Stones wants to come, and Wigan want to sell him, there is nothing stopping this. 

Also there is nothing stopping us loaning him, providing he has not played for 2 clubs already in a season I think.

Clearly Stones has decided staying at Wigan until at least Jan is a better option for him.

If he changes his mind and we still want him he can sign for us or for any NL club any time until the NL window closes.

It seems quite simple really. I'm not sure why your complicating it!!

16 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

If we want to sign Stones, Stones wants to come, and Wigan want to sell him, there is nothing stopping this. 

Also there is nothing stopping us loaning him, providing he has not played for 2 clubs already in a season I think.

Clearly Stones has decided staying at Wigan until at least Jan is a better option for him.

If he changes his mind and we still want him he can sign for us or for any NL club any time until the NL window closes.

It seems quite simple really. I'm not sure why your complicating it!!

Yep, in a nutshell, if he wants to come then he comes, he’s still not here and we are literally into Sept. Get someone else or get Norwood and Garner up and running asap, we’ve already dropped 7 points in the last 3. Early days yes but it’s all about the momentum and we’ve got to win consistently if we are to stay up there. 

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

I hope we aren’t banking on Norwood for all those goals we will need to fire us up the table. He didn’t score for weeks on end last season if I remember rightly. He looked very rusty last week understandably. No Garner yet either. I do hope Stones wasn’t the only iron in the fire. 

Be right as long as we get plenty of penalties...

We seem to be obsessed with strikers.

Fondop has missed a few chances but so too have our midfielders- plenty in fact. 

Last season some of us pointed out we needed more goals from midfield and defence - and that's  still the case. A good spread of goals is vital.

Don't give a shit who scores so long as somebody does.

As an aside. Last time Everton won the title (hundreds of years ago!) Their top scorer was midfielder and pen taker Kevin Sheedy (12 if I recall). Following season they sign Lineker who scores dozens and they win naff all.

3 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Fondop has missed a few chances but so too have our midfielders- plenty in fact. 

Last season some of us pointed out we needed more goals from midfield and defence - and that's  still the case. A good spread of goals is vital.

As an aside. Last time Everton won the title (hundreds of years ago!) Their top scorer was midfielder and pen taker Kevin Sheedy (12 if I recall). Following season they sign Lineker who scores dozens and they win naff all.

Who's getting the goals from defence and midfield?

This is hilarious. People making wild claims about the manner in which the stones transfer didn’t happen without one jot of actual knowledge of any of the detail 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 3

Everyone moaning about not getting a new striker. 

During the course of most of last season it was clear that we had significantly weaker areas than up top. I can’t recall a signal person moaning about the collective strength of our striker options. And yet we still have our best strikers at our disposal.  

reflecting that, the focus has rightly been on signings to address the areas of greatest weakness. That has been the priority. The strike force has not. I have no issue with that. 

the club has a limited budget and it has to spend it on areas most in need of attention, bearing in mind we have players coming back. 

Football fans are so fickle and some people have very short memories. 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Everyone moaning about not a new striker. 

During the course of most of last season it was clear that we had significantly weaker areas than up top. I can’t recall a signal person moaning about the collective strength of our striker options. 

reflecting that, the focus has rightly been on signings to address the areas of greatest weakness. That has been the priority. The strike force has not. I have no issue with that. 

the club has a limited budget and it has to spend it on areas most in need of attention, bearing in mind we have players coming back. 

Football fans are so fickle and some people have very short memories. 

Our two 'best' strikers are 36 and soon to be 34, that's not a good position to be in.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Our two 'best' strikers are 36 and soon to be 34, that's not a good position to be in.

It’s not great long term but I believe we had bigger priorities and calls on funds available. Mellons hands are still tied by the absolute shower of signings made under unsworth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Apparently not. 

And there in lies the problem. After today we have 40 games left, you’re asking Norwood to score 1 in 2. . not impossible but a big ask coming back from injury. 

Mikey and Garner are useful but not prolific. 

Some people are so ungrateful. We beat the mighty Braintree and Wealdstone- what more do you want...?

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Some people are so ungrateful. We beat the mighty Braintree and Wealdstone- what more do you want...?

I see the worst team we’ll ever play beat Aldershot the other week. Who then spanked us. 🧐😂

And yes, two great results that we couldn’t manage against very similar relegation fodder last season. The excitement is palpable. 

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

84/85 Season Graeme Sharp scored 27 goals when they won the title. Lineker signed in the summer, scored 40 and finished runners up in both the league and fa cup to Liverpool. 27 goals from Sharp was not an insignificant amount.

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

84/85 Season Graeme Sharp scored 27 goals when they won the title. Lineker signed in the summer, scored 40 and finished runners up in both the league and fa cup to Liverpool. 27 goals from Sharp was not an insignificant amount.

Graeme Sharp...oops. It still gives me nightmares that chance he missed towards the end of the FA Cup semi final against U*!&$d. I really thought it had gone in for 2-0. 

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

This is hilarious. People making wild claims about the manner in which the stones transfer didn’t happen without one jot of actual knowledge of any of the detail 

It really is, isn't it?   
"We've got to get Stones"..."Oh wow, it really looks like we might get Stones, yay!"..."Still no Stones and 3 weeks have gone by, this club really is hopelessly incompetent"..."All this time spent chasing Stones, what a waste."..."We should have been going for other strikers too, anyone, anyone at all who's ever scored a goal, at least they've shown that they can put chances away"..."I heard that we're now looking at other strikers, that just shows that we shouldn't have only been looking at Stones for the last few weeks."
All delivered as though the authors have perfect knowledge of all the work being done by everyone at the club, the options that are open to them, and the behaviour of the people that they're negotiating with (whoever they are). 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Thanks Pete. My memory must be going - unless I  was subconsciously removing Sharp! Mind you, he was a bloody good CF even if he couldn't hack it as a manager.

33 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

It really is, isn't it?   
"We've got to get Stones"..."Oh wow, it really looks like we might get Stones, yay!"..."Still no Stones and 3 weeks have gone by, this club really is hopelessly incompetent"..."All this time spent chasing Stones, what a waste."..."We should have been going for other strikers too, anyone, anyone at all who's ever scored a goal, at least they've shown that they can put chances away"..."I heard that we're now looking at other strikers, that just shows that we shouldn't have only been looking at Stones for the last few weeks."
All delivered as though the authors have perfect knowledge of all the work being done by everyone at the club, the options that are open to them, and the behaviour of the people that they're negotiating with (whoever they are). 

Smart clubs generally have more than one target lined up...

54 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

It really is, isn't it?   

Latics fan psyche. We’ve been that mistreated over the last 3 decades that any perceived negative is seen as terminal to our promotion chances. 

We’ll see a promotion again one day! Plenty of time left this season too…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

I agree other areas were needed and it  looks like we’ve done ok/well there. 

But we offered Smith a two year deal and wanted to sign Stones permanently. So money isn’t an issue- to the degree that he can’t bring in a striker. 

Lastly, this whole debate wouldn’t be an issue if we weren’t missing chances. Something which was entirely predictable weeks ago when you looked at our injuries and available options. 

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

It really is, isn't it?   

I know people guess and jump to conclusions. 

But. 

Mellon is saying publicly we need to take our chances. 

We all are watching and seeing us misses chances. 

Mikey and Garner are effective but neither are prolific. 

Norwood has 41 games to get to 20 goals, and has played 60 minutes so far. . . 

None of the above is a surprise, so whatever has happened-  I do think not getting something over the line isn’t great. 

Hopefully Nors bags a hat trick today. . . and my view looks moot. 😁

Edited by League one forever