Transfer Rumours 24/25

30 minutes ago, daniel said:

Nothing imminent according to MM in the OT. Won't rule anything out but is happy with what he currently has. 

He’s happy with what he currently has?

If that’s true then why would he try to sign Matt Smith and then Josh Stones?

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s happy with what he currently has?

If that’s true then why would he try to sign Matt Smith and then Josh Stones?

Because then he'd have been ecstatic! 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Because then he'd have been ecstatic! 😉

Saying he’s happy now with what he’s got suggests he doesn’t need anyone else which is a little odd….

He said he wouldn’t waste Frank’s money yet I should imagine a 2 year deal for Matt Smith would have cost the club somewhere in the region of £300k.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Saying he’s happy now with what he’s got suggests he doesn’t need anyone else which is a little odd….

He said he wouldn’t waste Frank’s money yet I should imagine a 2 year deal for Matt Smith would have cost the club somewhere in the region of £300k.

Maybe he doesnt think there are any good available options for us. If thats the case then good on him for not panic buying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diggleblue said:

The Stones saga has been amazing.

Just read a tweet that Wigan won't do a deal with us because of the Royles.

I had wondered about this before. Didn't they have a connection with Wigan which led to a fall out I seem to remember?Perhaps someone on here remembers what happened between the Royles and Wigan?

Not sure about this as they allowed us to have Stones on loan last season. So it's probably all conjecture. But what's gone on does seem strange.Still hoping though.

We also had Carragher on loan from Wigan. This is made up bollocks, again. 

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Presently, we are pinning the majority of our hope on Norwood scoring v regularly and not getting injured. Risky strategy.

Our approach play is better this season but will be in vain if we don't quickly find firepower. £300k would be a smart investment if it helped us secure promotion. I'm enjoying the football on offer far more this season but we are in danger of fizzling out if we don't find more goals from somewhere.

P.s. I'll be amazed if Garner is the answer to our goalscoring. Past it in my view. As for Reid; atrocious whenever I've seen him.

17 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I'll be amazed if Garner is the answer to our goalscoring. Past it in my view.

Agree re: Reid but it was MM that gave Garner an 18 month deal so he must think he’s capable. Personally, I think it was a panic signing when Norwood was injured last season and Reid was out of favour due to the Xmas misdemeanour!
Just like Fondop in my opinion he’s OK for the bench but that’s it.

• Like 1

I think Garner will chip in with a few goals and at this level have the nous to pose problems. Remember not every game a player will have an impact so differing types of player are beneficial to the side. 

Edited by Lags
  • Like 3

Why is Alex Reid still here?

He's been out of favour for 9 months so if he wanted I'm sure their will have been more than one opportunity to go out on loan atleast in that time.

He seems very happy to just collect a wage and not do anything.

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

He's been out of favour for 9 months so if he wanted I'm sure their will have been more than one opportunity to go out on loan atleast in that time.

You answered your own question,  correctly in my view.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd say his behaviour has been impeccable for someone so publicly exiled.

Did everything that he could pre season, fitness, played the friendlies, did all the photo shoots.

Manager just being a dick with him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Did everything that he could pre season, fitness, played the friendlies, did all the photo shoots.

Yup.  You've got to kind of respect the fact that he was basically frozen out of the club and worked hard enough to change the manager's opinion around to get back into the first-team squad..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I dunno. 

Think the incident is becoming the thing, rather than he just doesn’t fancy him. He didn’t play him a lot before Christmas if memory serves. 

I think the fact he’s back in the fold suggests Mellon accepts his change in behaviour and is happy to draw a line. That doesn’t change the fact that 3 people are preferred to him. 

From Reid’s point of view, and any other player. Why should they give up a good contract just because they’re not fancied anymore. He has every right to sit it out. (Whether that’s a good decision for his career is a different argument) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Alex Reid has worked his way back into the first team, fair play. 

It doesn’t change the fact that he’s crap. He played pre season and hardly touched the ball. Made 0 impact other than winning and missing a penalty. 

🏻

Exactly. 

It’s not his attitude, he just isn’t rated by the Manager. 

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I dunno. 

Think the incident is becoming the thing, rather than he just doesn’t fancy him. He didn’t play him a lot before Christmas if memory serves. 

I think the fact he’s back in the fold suggests Mellon accepts his change in behaviour and is happy to draw a line. That doesn’t change the fact that 3 people are preferred to him. 

From Reid’s point of view, and any other player. Why should they give up a good contract just because they’re not fancied anymore. He has every right to sit it out. (Whether that’s a good decision for his career is a different argument) 

I think it might have been injury that kept him out pre Boxing Day to be fair.

Seven subs and he picks one striker on the bench? His omission might be on merit of course but...

2 hours ago, Lags said:

You answered your own question,  correctly in my view.

I don't know why people think he's fought his way back when basically the only thing he's done is sit there while Norwood and Garner got injured. He did nothing in preseason and when he came on against an already beaten Braintree didn't do that much either. With Norwood and now Garner back it looks like he will be getting free Saturdays again.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

Garner will score goals at this level as will Norwood, until the club find someone better or even a player to compliment those two I'm glad they are not just panic buying to appease a couple of cranks gassing off on Twitter. 

Where I think we've failed again is in the selection process, it appears we've chased a player who'd already announced his retirement and another whose parent club announced from day one they'd be keeping him this season, not the brightest moves from our esteemed recruitment rabble.

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Garner will score goals at this level as will Norwood, until the club find someone better or even a player to compliment those two I'm glad they are not just panic buying to appease a couple of cranks gassing off on Twitter. 

Where I think we've failed again is in the selection process, it appears we've chased a player who'd already announced his retirement and another whose parent club announced from day one they'd be keeping him this season, not the brightest moves from our esteemed recruitment rabble.

There's plenty of young talent close to home but have we ever really made a proper move for them? Absolutely not.

The mere size and history of this club should be more than enough to see them fancy chancing their arm at something greater

Alty or Oldham? Fylde or Oldham? No comparison to be made

Even Salford are a joke when it comes to who's who

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Speaking of bizarre, was interesting that Birmingham moved on from missing out on Norwood by signing an England U21 international striker for a reported 10 million quid...

We wanted 10.1m for Norwood.

Cost cutting exercise 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There's plenty of young talent close to home but have we ever really made a proper move for them? Absolutely not.

The mere size and history of this club should be more than enough to see them fancy chancing their arm at something greater

Alty or Oldham? Fylde or Oldham? No comparison to be made

Even Salford are a joke when it comes to who's who

That's a very dated and biased view though. We've been fuck all for 30 years. Those players (even the aged pros who are nearly 30...) have never known this club to be doing anything more than making up the numbers in League 1, at best. It's not like they grow up watching VHS of the first Premier League era, is it?

I'd bet a large portion of them know fuck all about the leagues around them entirely, never mind Latics specifically - they will (defensibly so) spend their time watching the Premier League and Champions League, won't they? 

They don't owe us or our club anything, and if someone like Alty offers them a better prospect (playing time, location, money, other incentives, just a vibe... anything...) then they should rightly fancy that option over us. 

• Like 9