Transfer Rumours 24/25

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

But you’re not comparing like for like are you?…What do you expect against crowd pullers the likes of Braintree, Tamworth, Wealdstone, Yeovil, Solihull, and Ebbsfleet!!!!

We are still a very average team in NL but getting the same or better crowds than several teams 2 divisions higher!

If we were competing up near the top of that division I’m fairly confident we would be getting around a 10k average.

I just don't think that's realistic. The last 2 home games under Lee Johnson, when we were top 6 in L1, we got a gate of just under 3,500 v Swindon and just over 5,500 v Colchester.

Now suppose Mr Powerpoint had stayed that season and kept us in the play-off positions. No doubt crowds would have improved with the excitement of a promotion chase, but to say we would have averaged 10k is a mighty big call in my view. There is still a feel good/loyalty factor at present in gratitude to the Rothwells, but I don't think it would necessarily translate into regular 10k crowds yet.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

That's a different point though, that's the potential for how big we could be, not how big we are now.

We are still a relatively big club with a healthy fanbase however we have dropped 5 levels and done absolutely nowt for over 30 years!!

We are hardly going to enjoy big crowds in this division unless we are at the top. Crowds are generally dropping year on year because of our consistent inability to challenge.

Wrexham & Stockport were playing in front of 3/4k not too long ago, Stockport are now averaging 9.5k & Wrexham £13k+

We go top for a sustained period in this division and we’d have 8k+ no doubt.

It's an interesting debate about how big a club we are/were when talking about attendances...

In that amazing 1089/90 season we averaged 9,727 at home league games.

That was playing some big clubs like Newcastle, Blackburn, Stoke, Sheff Utd, Sunderland, Leicester, WBA who always brought big away followings to BP.

We were the talk of the country and everyones 2nd team. In the LC final, FA Cup SF, and dicking Arsenal, Villa, Leeds, Everton, Southampton, West Ham on the way, scoring goals for fun and playing exquisite football, but we still couldnt average more 10,000 home fans...

I think if we were challenging in the top 3/4 by Christmas and playing some good stuff at home, we could regularly get 7000 home fans which is pretty remakable in the NL and with our track record and the attractivness of most fixtures.

However my feeling is that as a mid table L1 club (if we ever got there) I can't see many more home fans than this attending BP week in week out.

We havn't averaged more than 7000 since 1997...and have lost a generation of supporters. Just look at our current fan demograhic. Either 45+ like myself or under 25.

In the all time average English attendance league table we average 8,871 fans(calculated since 1889 apparently), and are ranked in 52nd spot, which puts us 10th in L1, Just below Barnsley and Swindon, and just above MKD and Wigan. Sums it up really...

BTW in that pinch me 1989/90 season we had 8 points after 6 games so we can still do some damage this year....but we did have Ritchie, Palmer, Marshall, Bunn and Holden then who could score a goal or 3 😀

Glad I was lucky enough to be around and see it all.....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

It's an interesting debate about how big a club we are/were when talking about attendances...

In that amazing 1089/90 season we averaged 9,727 at home league games.

That was playing some big clubs like Newcastle, Blackburn, Stoke, Sheff Utd, Sunderland, Leicester, WBA who always brought big away followings to BP.

We were the talk of the country and everyones 2nd team. In the LC final, FA Cup SF, and dicking Arsenal, Villa, Leeds, Everton, Southampton, West Ham on the way, scoring goals for fun and playing exquisite football, but we still couldnt average more 10,000 home fans...

I think if we were challenging in the top 3/4 by Christmas and playing some good stuff at home, we could regularly get 7000 home fans which is pretty remakable in the NL and with our track record and the attractivness of most fixtures.

However my feeling is that as a mid table L1 club (if we ever got there) I can't see many more home fans than this attending BP week in week out.

We havn't averaged more than 7000 since 1997...and have lost a generation of supporters. Just look at our current fan demograhic. Either 45+ like myself or under 25.

In the all time average English attendance league table we average 8,871 fans(calculated since 1889 apparently), and are ranked in 52nd spot, which puts us 10th in L1, Just below Barnsley and Swindon, and just above MKD and Wigan. Sums it up really...

BTW in that pinch me 1989/90 season we had 8 points after 6 games so we can still do some damage this year....but we did have Ritchie, Palmer, Marshall, Bunn and Holden then who could score a goal or 3 😀

Glad I was lucky enough to be around and see it all.....

Oh and one of the best things during that time was the fact that we were NOT a big club and believed we could beat anyone...and regularly did!

If someone in the street says to me that Blackpool, Preston, Burnley, Blackburn, Wigan, Stockport, Wrexham are bigger club's than Oldham

I still wouldn't have any of it and why?

Because I was around when none of them had a pot to piss in, with grounds falling apart.

Never forget your history, as some so casually do

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If someone in the street says to me that Blackpool, Preston, Burnley, Blackburn, Wigan, Stockport, Wrexham are bigger club's than Oldham

Because I was around when none of them had a pot to piss in, with grounds falling apart.

Never forget your history, but live in the present,,,,,,all those are bigger clubs than us, and most were when I started supporting Latics in the 60's.

12 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If you compare Blackpool Preston Burnley and Blackpools history it's significantly better than ours. They've all won major trophies. Wigans time in the top flight was better than ours, they spent 8 years in the top flight and won a major trophy  we only spent 3 seasons. If you take away the period between 1989-94 our history really is nothing special.

If studying history makes you proud and happy you probably aren't studying history.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Blackburn English champions 3 times,FA Cup winners 6 times, Burnley founder members of the league, won the title and FA Cup, Blackpool FA Cup winners, etc, etc.

These famous old clubs were winning things when we were Div 4. Never forget your history, as some so casually do 😉

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We're that small a club we took more away fans to Alty than the other 11 away clubs in NL took away last Saturday combined. 

Yet in 5 attempts of playing Altrincham in the National League we are yet to beat them.

Yes we are bigger club than Altrincham and our expectations should be to do better but let's not lose sight of where we are.

Edited by GlossopLatic

16 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Blackburn English champions 3 times,FA Cup winners 6 times, Burnley founder members of the league, won the title and FA Cup, Blackpool FA Cup winners, etc, etc.

These famous old clubs were winning things when we were Div 4. Never forget your history, as some so casually do 😉

Of all the Lancashire clubs I'd say Rochdale are the only one that doesn't beat us hands down on overall history. 

21 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Memory is for strangers History is for fools( pink floyd - perfect sense)

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Of all the Lancashire clubs I'd say Rochdale are the only one that doesn't beat us hands down on overall history. 

Id say we have a bigger history than Accrington Stanley and Feetwood too do Fylde count?

Edited by GlossopLatic

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Id say we have a bigger history than Accrington Stanley amd Feetwood too do Fylde count?

Fair shout on Accy. I can't say I'd even considered the others! Let's say of traditional FL clubs

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The reason you give for us being a bigger club than Blackburn could be used to argue Salford is a bigger club than us now. 

50 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Fair shout on Accy. I can't say I'd even considered the others! Let's say of traditional FL clubs

Accy will always have that milk advert....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Probably be around that.

The Kidderminster game last season shows we do have a sleeping support (which I didn't think we did, to be honest..), but I don't think we'd get that sort of number regularly.  You'd expect a few of those to come regularly if we were good to bridge the gap between the 5k we get now and the 7k..

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

:clown:

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yet in 5 attempts of playing Altrincham in the National League we are yet to beat them.

Yes we are bigger club than Altrincham and our expectations should be to do better but let's not lose sight of where we are.

Yes keep beating us down and that's where we'll stay :OASISscarf:

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nailed it that's exactly what I'm doing beating us down :rolleyes:

I'm sick of all our fans reminding us of how shit we are, it's a mentality that runs through the fanbase.

Winners rarely need reminding of where they are but where they are going, if you think you're going to fall over you invariably will.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sick of all our fans reminding us of how shit we are, it's a mentality that runs through the fanbase.

Winners rarely need reminding of where they are but where they are going, if you think you're going to fall over you invariably will.

I'm pretty sure you were telling us you were going to throw in the towel at the end of last season and not going to renew your season ticket how's that a winning mentality?

First stage of winning is accepting where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want to go. We have a much better chance of getting promotion this season than the other 2 seasons but we will need to be more clinical in the final third.

What isn't a winning mentality is believing we are too big to play against teams the likes of Altrincham when we are yet to beat them in the league in 5 attempts that's not a winning mentality that's entitlement theirs a big difference. The same mentality that turns on the team if we go 2-0 down tomorrow after 30 minutes. If that happens tomorrow what we going to do? are we going to get behind the team or are we going to play the victim about being cursed.

Winners don't just think they are better than the competition they go and prove it. We are yet to do that but it doesnt mean this season cant be different. We've taken 1 point from 12 against Halifax it's time we changed that on Tuesday. We are a National League team but we don't have to be one forever if we get right things we will give ourselves a great chance of promotion this season that's being a realist.

Edited by GlossopLatic

We are a promotion away from a right attendance boom IMO.

I mean, I’m 38 and all I’ve known is misery and relegation, like many others. Yet we’re still taking 1500 to away games, local or not.

Frank came in and we got an attendance boost, simply down to the first bit of positivity the club had experienced in years (helped by ridding us of the biggest of twats that owned us).

The risk is how long it takes us to get there. 3 more years of this and could really stagnate.

Best case, we get promoted this season and I think you’ll see 7000+ at home.

It’s all about momentum. We’ve NEVER had that and we still present decent numbers all things considered.

• Like 3