Transfer Rumours 24/25

9 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The reason you give for us being a bigger club than Blackburn could be used to argue Salford is a bigger club than us now. 

I never saw anything in any of those club's mentioned, back In the mid to late 1970s to suggest they were bigger than us, Rovers definitely weren't because Jack Walker hadn't come along and Salford, who were they?

13 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sick of all our fans reminding us of how shit we are, it's a mentality that runs through the fanbase.

Winners rarely need reminding of where they are but where they are going, if you think you're going to fall over you invariably will.

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm pretty sure you were telling us you were going to throw in the towel at the end of last season and not going to renew your season ticket how's that a winning mentality?

First stage of winning is accepting where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want to go. We have a much better chance of getting promotion this season than the other 2 seasons but we will need to be more clinical in the final third.

What isn't a winning mentality is believing we are too big to play against teams the likes of Altrincham when we are yet to beat them in the league in 5 attempts that's not a winning mentality that's entitlement theirs a big difference. The same mentality that turns on the team if we go 2-0 down tomorrow after 30 minutes. If that happens tomorrow what we going to do? are we going to get behind the team or are we going to play the victim about being cursed.

Winners don't just think they are better than the competition they go and prove it. We are yet to do that but it doesnt mean this season cant be different. We've taken 1 point from 12 against Halifax it's time we changed that on Tuesday. We are a National League team but we don't have to be one forever if we get right things we will give ourselves a great chance of promotion this season that's being a realist.

Maybe both points of view hold water...

We shouldn't expect to beat anyone because we are where we are.  But also we are where we are through bad ownership and it's a disgrace that we're in this division...because we're bigger and should be better than it.

18 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If someone in the street says to me that Blackpool, Preston, Burnley, Blackburn, Wigan, Stockport, Wrexham are bigger club's than Oldham

I still wouldn't have any of it and why?

Because I was around when none of them had a pot to piss in, with grounds falling apart.

Never forget your history, as some so casually do

Stockport and Wrexham are not bigger clubs than Oldham.

Despite all their additional money they are unlikely to reach that level. To be a bigger club than us, you need to have won a major English Trophy. They are unlikely to ever do that.

Wrexham haven't even played in the top flight, and OK they've played in Europe but only by virtue of winning the equivalent of a group of the EFL Trophy due to where the Welsh clubs were at the time. Stockport haven't played in the top flight either.

Wrexham and Stockport might be a better club now but in my lifetime we've been 3 divisions above both.

However, the other 5 I have to give credit to, begrudgingly in Wigan's case. They've won a major English Trophy they are bigger than us.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Stockport and Wrexham are not bigger clubs than Oldham.

Despite all their additional money they are unlikely to reach that level. To be a bigger club than us, you need to have won a major English Trophy. They are unlikely to ever do that.

Wrexham haven't even played in the top flight, and OK they've played in Europe but only by virtue of winning the equivalent of a group of the EFL Trophy due to where the Welsh clubs were at the time. Stockport haven't played in the top flight either.

Wrexham and Stockport might be a better club now but in my lifetime we've been 3 divisions above both.

However, the other 5 I have to give credit to, begrudgingly in Wigan's case. They've won a major English Trophy they are bigger than us.

The first line, I couldn't agree more and Welsh club's shouldn't be allowed to play in our leagues, maybe they should invite them to Scotland to enrich theirs.

Again, Wigan weren't a bigger club than us until Whelan came along and their Springfield park ground was falling to pieces around them.

Serious money is the only thing that's created the gulf.

I didn't include Bolton in my initial list because they were bigger than us

20 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The first line, I couldn't agree more and Welsh club's shouldn't be allowed to play in our leagues, maybe they should invite them to Scotland to enrich theirs.

Again, Wigan weren't a bigger club than us until Whelan came along and their Springfield park ground was falling to pieces around them.

Serious money is the only thing that's created the gulf.

I didn't include Bolton in my initial list because they were bigger than us

But you seriously suggested Blackburn weren't? That's delusional.

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But you seriously suggested Blackburn weren't? That's delusional.

When I first attended in the 80's Blackburn I'd say were about the same size and probably our main rivals, once Walker stepped in he took them to another level, still we shared the PL with them for a couple of seasons in it's inception. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'm talking about the Brotherston, Fazackerley, Garner Blackburn

not the Sutton, Shearer Blackburn.

The former was on par at best

You're talking about a club, not a moment in time. There's no measure on which we are bigger, none.

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'm talking about the Brotherston, Fazackerley, Garner Blackburn

not the Sutton, Shearer Blackburn.

The former was on par at best

Blackburn have won 6 fa cups and the top division 3 times....how are we a bigger club than them??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Blackburn have won 6 fa cups and the top division 3 times....how are we a bigger club than them??

Never said we were bigger but definitely of the same level in the mid to late 1970s but then we were with Burnley and Blackpool in league two

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Never said we were bigger but definitely of the same level in the mid to late 1970s but then we were with Burnley and Blackpool in league two

Possibly the most bizarre debate I've seen. Yes there were periods when we were better than Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Preston, Blackpool but out overall record would barely register on the history of any of them. And the thing that their level of history gets you is the level of fanbase which we simply don't have, never have had and in all probability never will have. Any other conclusions is bonkers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Possibly the most bizarre debate I've seen. Yes there were periods when we were better than Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Preston, Blackpool but out overall record would barely register on the history of any of them. And the thing that their level of history gets you is the level of fanbase which we simply don't have, never have had and in all probability never will have. Any other conclusions is bonkers.

There you have it

The pennies finally dropped.

As I look in league one and two, it's filled with smaller clubs than us, 

that's another debate 😀

12 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There you have it

that's another debate 😀

Well I’m still confused!😂

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Well I’m still confused!😂

Others clubs sizes are judged at a point in time where they aren’t doing well, ignoring success in the past. Our club’s size is judged on past success, not where we are now. And this is fair.

Hope that helps!!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There you have it

that's another debate 😀

Your logic is all over the place one hand you are putting us level with Blackburn because we were on a par with them in the 80s but on the other hand you are saying we are bigger than both Stockport and Wrexham who are now 50 places ahead of us in the football pyramid and now getting double our gates.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There you have it

that's another debate 😀

Means nothing though we wont see the EFL again 

Edited by oafcmb

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Others clubs sizes are judged at a point in time where they aren’t doing well, ignoring success in the past. Our club’s size is judged on past success, not where we are now. And this is fair.

Hope that helps!!

Ahhh 👍😂

Going back to the transfer debate we will struggle now to bring anyone in and will probably have to pay over the odds if we do want to secure a players services.

Recruitment still needs an overhaul as we have some glaring holes in the squad particularly in the attacking third of the pitch, we've obviously got budget yet are sat with a squad which will likely come up short, chasing players who are unavailable or retired is amateurish at best.

I'm hoping Norwood is okay and Charsley is not too serious as losing them two would be massive early on. 

I think Hammond has been unlucky this season, he started both our victories alongside Charsley but has since been frozen out and didn't even make the 16 yesterday, since dropped we've picked up 4 points in 15, I know he's not quite the finished article yet but he'd offer more in the press than players like Kay, Gardner, Conlon, Dolan who've all been tried there and was an important foil further up the pitch for Charsley, Dolan for instance yesterday just cruised through the game and just won't graft off the ball for the team, couldn't be arsed to press and passed it relentlessly sideways and backwards, when you have three of your four midfielders having such a negative impact on the game it just leaves your striker isolated and we look no better than last season.

I've a feeling the board will keep their powder dry now because moving Mellon out may cost money, I'm not a fan of that but if we don't change the habit of losing and drawing they'll have no other option, he's damaged the attendances on the back of his late season rants and the patience he and the team are being shown I'm sure will evaporate, this environment he made up where teams take advantage of the home crowd turning doesn't exist anymore yet we can't even buy a win let alone take the lead in an home fixture, 3 points from 9 at home is probably relegation form.

Huge two away games coming up this week and I think we possibly need to somehow find two wins, a couple of draws would probably see us in to the bottom half and then the alarm bells will truly start ringing.

I'm not a big fan of looking back but Mellon's teams have shown signs of this before and he was unable to reverse the trend, back end of last season we showed similar form winning none, drawing seven and losing four of out last eleven games (0.65ppg) which is in line with what we've produced the last five games (0.80ppg) so somethings got to give and sharpish, I'm not really arsed about getting beat if we can find a way to win half of our drawn games.

Last 18 games would get any manager the sack other than Mellon and I think the fans who remain have been more than patient having witnessed just 2 wins 11 draws and 5 defeats from our last 18 fixtures. 

Performances won't count for nothing if that trend continues.

Edited by yarddog73