Transfer Rumours 24/25

53 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Main commentator on Radio Manchester yesterday said that Mellon had told him pre-match that he's spent a lot of money in the forwards area already and is happy with what he's got.

He’s admitted trying to sign Smith & Stones so that is complete bollocks!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Going back to the transfer debate we will struggle now to bring anyone in and will probably have to pay over the odds if we do want to secure a players services.

Recruitment still needs an overhaul as we have some glaring holes in the squad particularly in the attacking third of the pitch, we've obviously got budget yet are sat with a squad which will likely come up short, chasing players who are unavailable or retired is amateurish at best.

I'm hoping Norwood is okay and Charsley is not too serious as losing them two would be massive early on. 

I think Hammond has been unlucky this season, he started both our victories alongside Charsley but has since been frozen out and didn't even make the 16 yesterday, since dropped we've picked up 4 points in 15, I know he's not quite the finished article yet but he'd offer more in the press than players like Kay, Gardner, Conlon, Dolan who've all been tried there and was an important foil further up the pitch for Charsley, Dolan for instance yesterday just cruised through the game and just won't graft off the ball for the team, couldn't be arsed to press and passed it relentlessly sideways and backwards, when you have three of your four midfielders having such a negative impact on the game it just leaves your striker isolated and we look no better than last season.

I've a feeling the board will keep their powder dry now because moving Mellon out may cost money, I'm not a fan of that but if we don't change the habit of losing and drawing they'll have no other option, he's damaged the attendances on the back of his late season rants and the patience he and the team are being shown I'm sure will evaporate, this environment he made up where teams take advantage of the home crowd turning doesn't exist anymore yet we can't even buy a win let alone take the lead in an home fixture, 3 points from 9 at home is probably relegation form.

Huge two away games coming up this week and I think we possibly need to somehow find two wins, a couple of draws would probably see us in to the bottom half and then the alarm bells will truly start ringing.

I'm not a big fan of looking back but Mellon's teams have shown signs of this before and he was unable to reverse the trend, back end of last season we showed similar form winning none, drawing seven and losing four of out last eleven games (0.65ppg) which is in line with what we've produced the last five games (0.80ppg) so somethings got to give and sharpish, I'm not really arsed about getting beat if we can find a way to win half of our drawn games.

Last 18 games would get any manager the sack other than Mellon and I think the fans who remain have been more than patient having witnessed just 2 wins 11 draws and 5 defeats from our last 18 fixtures. 

Performances won't count for nothing if that trend continues.

Those stats are quite shocking aren’t they and they seem to be continuing with the new improved squad. 
simple fact is goals win games and our goals return bar Braintree is shocking. 
That said I think a couple of adjustments up top and in the middle might get us firing into some form. 

29 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Those stats are quite shocking aren’t they and they seem to be continuing with the new improved squad. 
simple fact is goals win games and our goals return bar Braintree is shocking. 
That said I think a couple of adjustments up top and in the middle might get us firing into some form. 

We've scored 17 goals in 18 games so something needs to click soon.

4 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Main commentator on Radio Manchester yesterday said that Mellon had told him pre-match that he's spent a lot of money in the forwards area already and is happy with what he's got.

Thats bollocks all our forwards were Unsworth signings . I am so for giving him time to get it right and see signs of improvement . But we need another forward or find a better way to make use of the ones we have .And a tough tackling midfielder with legs wouldnt go a miss .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, penrhyn said:

Thats bollocks all our forwards were Unsworth signings . I am so for giving him time to get it right and see signs of improvement . But we need another forward or find a better way to make use of the ones we have .And a tough tackling midfielder with legs wouldnt go a miss .

Strikers maybe, but not forwards. Charsley, Khan, Kay, Uche, Dolan and Garner were all brought in on Mellons watch. We need an out and out striker, or someone with serious quality in a no.10 role like Haughton whos prolific at this level imo, but not many like him about. 

I think it's safe to assume there isn't much budget left for Mellon to recruit the calibre of player he requires. He's not going to throw the board under the bus by actually admitting that and people will point out we were in for Smith and Stones but since we failed to get Smith we signed Caprice and after the Stones debacle we signed Khan. We may well pick up a loan signing or 2 short term with us making little contribution in the way of wages but apart from that I think we will have to make do with what we have. 

14 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I think it's safe to assume there isn't much budget left for Mellon to recruit the calibre of player he requires. He's not going to throw the board under the bus by actually admitting that and people will point out we were in for Smith and Stones but since we failed to get Smith we signed Caprice and after the Stones debacle we signed Khan. We may well pick up a loan signing or 2 short term with us making little contribution in the way of wages but apart from that I think we will have to make do with what we have. 

Unlike Rochdale who have signed another young striker on loan which is exactly what we should have done. They're on fire at the moment unlike us. Never thought Rochdale might make the automatic promotion slot but........ Will be interesting to see if youth beats ageing players.I know what I would prefer.

38 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Think the Khan deal was waiting for John Willie lees to  sign up so possibly would not affect any Stones deal maybe ? Also thinking that Smith would have commanded more of a wage so there may still be a bit of wriggle room. Even so the recruitment while massively improved is still a bit concerning . And by that I mean the players signed  so far have all done ok and made improvements . But what I am concerned about is the strategy, the plan off how we are going to play with the new recruits . We cant be serious about challenging the top spots and only play one up front we dont move the ball quick enough to play that way . And as good as Norwood is he cant play the lone role up front with so little support.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigtic1975 said:

Why can we not bring back young matty warhurst from m city he's young and going to want to be playing football 

Bring back?  He's a bit of a prospect isn't he? If so then City aren't sending him to Division Five 

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Bring back?  He's a bit of a prospect isn't he? If so then City aren't sending him to Division Five 

Surely he will be mutch better than the journey men we currently have 

What is wrong in bringing in 17,18,19 year old players from city or utd to gain experience and put the ball in the net for us 

1 hour ago, Bigtic1975 said:

Surely he will be mutch better than the journey men we currently have 

What is wrong in bringing in 17,18,19 year old players from city or utd to gain experience and put the ball in the net for us 

I was asking what 'bring back' meant, as I wasn't aware he'd been here. Nothing at all wrong with the theory but I doubt whether City will send players they rate to this level very often.

14 hours ago, Bigtic1975 said:

Why can we not bring back young matty warhurst from m city he's young and going to want to be playing football 

He's no relation to Paul I believe, The problem with academy players is they might look good among their own ages, but struggle with the physicality at senior level,  When I watch young players to recruit at our level I look to see how they cope when put under physical pressure as well as their ability, That's not to say I'd overlook gifted less physical players as they can mature in later years. 

Edited by BP1960

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I was asking what 'bring back' meant, as I wasn't aware he'd been here. Nothing at all wrong with the theory but I doubt whether City will send players they rate to this level very often.

It says he was at oldham youth level on transfer market as im clueless but honest and not delusional 

I'm just wanting more passion,energy,entertainment from watching latics instead of the usual 

19 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Think the Khan deal was waiting for John Willie lees to  sign up so possibly would not affect any Stones deal maybe ? Also thinking that Smith would have commanded more of a wage so there may still be a bit of wriggle room. Even so the recruitment while massively improved is still a bit concerning . And by that I mean the players signed  so far have all done ok and made improvements . But what I am concerned about is the strategy, the plan off how we are going to play with the new recruits . We cant be serious about challenging the top spots and only play one up front we dont move the ball quick enough to play that way . And as good as Norwood is he cant play the lone role up front with so little support.  

The average age of our 3 main forwards who MM fancies in over 33.

Surely it would be beneficial to get a bit more youth and pace up top??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigtic1975 said:

It says he was at oldham youth level on transfer market as im clueless but honest and not delusional 

I'm just wanting more passion,energy,entertainment from watching latics instead of the usual 

Matty hails from Carrbrook, Stalybridge and I was his Dad's best man.  No relation to Paul. City paid good money to Oldham when they took him.  He was last seasons top scorer in his city side and came on in last seasons under 18's final and scored which was one year up for him. 

Not so sure he's ready for the NL yet. 

43 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Dominic Poleon been rumoured?? How true it is i've no idea. Could do a job for us though i'd have thought.

Next we'll be asking Danny P to step up to the plate and show our current frontline how it's done.

4 hours ago, Lags said:

Matty hails from Carrbrook, Stalybridge and I was his Dad's best man.  No relation to Paul. City paid good money to Oldham when they took him.  He was last seasons top scorer in his city side and came on in last seasons under 18's final and scored which was one year up for him. 

Not so sure he's ready for the NL yet. 

What happened to the good money?