Transfer Rumours 24/25

27 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Ive gotta question if we need so many attacking players who are not out and out goalscorers. 

For me only charsley is a guaranteed starter from any of our forward thinking players. 

Fondop

Norwood

Khan

Stretton

Drummond

Hammond

Lundstram 

Garner

None have really proven themselves this year enough to cement a spot. Id love them to step up and prove me wrong but we seem to have a squad full of squad players, in an attacking sense at least, rather than league winners. 

troll

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Ive gotta question if we need so many attacking players who are not out and out goalscorers. 

For me only charsley is a guaranteed starter from any of our forward thinking players. 

Fondop

Norwood

Khan

Stretton

Drummond

Hammond

Lundstram 

Garner

None have really proven themselves this year enough to cement a spot. Id love them to step up and prove me wrong but we seem to have a squad full of squad players, in an attacking sense at least, rather than league winners. 

Seven goals from Fondop. What more is wanted?

52 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Fondop

Norwood

Khan

Stretton

Drummond

Hammond

Lundstram 

Garner

Eh? Drummond?
He's only just arrived.

Lundstrum appears to be improving and Fondop's seven goals speak for themselves.
Don't agree with you about Hammond, either.

26 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Fondops done well,  but hes also missed more than hes scored. There is a reasonable argument that hes not cemented his place. 

Fifth division striker misses more than he scores but still scores seven before mid-October.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Eh? Drummond?
He's only just arrived.

Lundstrum appears to be improving and Fondop's seven goals speak for themselves.
Don't agree with you about Hammond, either.

Drummond has potential as does hammond and lundstram is improving but no one can confidently say to me they can pick our best front 6 when all are fit. 

Im not knocking any of them. All are worthy of squad places, unlike some of the shite we have had in recent years but do you hear other teams fearing our attacking options like we have looked at chris conn clarke, ryan colclough, elliott lee, paul mullin, mccauley langstaff, paul McCallum? 

All the promoted teams have attacking players other clubs fear and we just dont have that. Thats all im saying. We are good, but just not exceptional for the level. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, philliggi said:

Drummond has potential as does hammond and lundstram is improving but no one can confidently say to me they can pick our best front 6 when all are fit. 

Im not knocking any of them. All are worthy of squad places, unlike some of the shite we have had in recent years but do you hear other teams fearing our attacking options like we have looked at chris conn clarke, ryan colclough, elliott lee, paul mullin, mccauley langstaff, paul McCallum? 

All the promoted teams have attacking players other clubs fear and we just dont have that. Thats all im saying. We are good, but just not exceptional for the level. 

I'll guarantee other teams fear our forward six when they look at whose starting and that's before you look at the depth we can normally name on the bench.

We've suffered this season as three first choice forwards have picked up serious injuries, it probably wasn't the plan to go with Fondop but we've had to and he's given a fair return and put in some decent performances, as a result of the injuries we've had no choice but to dip in to the loan market so the players available now looks inflated.

I suspect by January that group will be trimmed down to who Mellon wants to work with, competition is fierce and the forward players now know if they don't perform they'll lose their position as evidenced by Khan, Hammond, Garner, Norwood all being dropped in recent weeks after sub standard showings, Mellon still hasn't found the key yet as far as I'm concerned but some players are putting in strong claims for starting berths but are still well aware there's someone ready to step in if standards drop.

We currently have cover in every area and that creates healthy competition, we are going to need 20 players to get out of this division and they can all play their part as evidenced by Sutton who was arguably 20th in the pecking order yet came in and put in a man of the match performance on Saturday, that's the strength we have that others fear and we are now unpredictable and hard to set up against.

Fair play to Will by the way, talk about taking your opportunity and character, I never doubted him like others on here and finally he's had a start in his favoured position, playing all those games in an unfamiliar wing back role seems to have added something to his game on the right of a back three and for me if he carries on like that he'll become a real asset both to the team and financially.

Only sticky area for me now is in the holding midfield role, we've tried a two in there and also Conlon on his own but it's not really clicked as yet, partly I feel because we've not quite seen the best of Conlon yet, a lot of the goals we concede come through this area and teams are now driving at us in this area of the pitch, just waltzing unchallenged through us at times. I'm probably a bit harsh on Conlon as I was on Lundstrum and that's mainly because I know they are better than what they've shown, if it does click for Conlon in the coming weeks we'll have some team but for me he needs legs around him as he's not the most mobile, he seems to play better with Gardner alongside but that can't be relied upon, Charsley has also been a huge miss and I'm hoping his latest setback isn't too serious.

I'm happy with our squad now, the pace we've missed in the forward line  is now there and we can set up in a variety of ways against different teams knowing we'll have as strong a bench as anyone to impact a game.

If we had budget available I'd be looking towards a player like Matty Palmer at Notts County who could play alongside Conlon and compliment our midfield. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

If we had budget available I'd be looking towards a player like Matty Palmer at Notts County who could play alongside Conlon and compliment our midfield. 

Who's played in all bar one of their league games this season and started the last six? Realistic target?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'll guarantee other teams fear our forward six when they look at whose starting and that's before you look at the depth we can normally name on the bench.

We've suffered this season as three first choice forwards have picked up serious injuries, it probably wasn't the plan to go with Fondop but we've had to and he's given a fair return and put in some decent performances, as a result of the injuries we've had no choice but to dip in to the loan market so the players available now looks inflated.

I suspect by January that group will be trimmed down to who Mellon wants to work with, competition is fierce and the forward players now know if they don't perform they'll lose their position as evidenced by Khan, Hammond, Garner, Norwood all being dropped in recent weeks after sub standard showings, Mellon still hasn't found the key yet as far as I'm concerned but some players are putting in strong claims for starting berths but are still well aware there's someone ready to step in if standards drop.

We currently have cover in every area and that creates healthy competition, we are going to need 20 players to get out of this division and they can all play their part as evidenced by Sutton who was arguably 20th in the pecking order yet came in and put in a man of the match performance on Saturday, that's the strength we have that others fear and we are now unpredictable and hard to set up against.

Fair play to Will by the way, talk about taking your opportunity and character, I never doubted him like others on here and finally he's had a start in his favoured position, playing all those games in an unfamiliar wing back role seems to have added something to his game on the right of a back three and for me if he carries on like that he'll become a real asset both to the team and financially.

Only sticky area for me now is in the holding midfield role, we've tried a two in there and also Conlon on his own but it's not really clicked as yet, partly I feel because we've not quite seen the best of Conlon yet, a lot of the goals we concede come through this area and teams are now driving at us in this area of the pitch, just waltzing unchallenged through us at times. I'm probably a bit harsh on Conlon as I was on Lundstrum and that's mainly because I know they are better than what they've shown, if it does click for Conlon in the coming weeks we'll have some team but for me he needs legs around him as he's not the most mobile, he seems to play better with Gardner alongside but that can't be relied upon, Charsley has also been a huge miss and I'm hoping his latest setback isn't too serious.

I'm happy with our squad now, the pace we've missed in the forward line  is now there and we can set up in a variety of ways against different teams knowing we'll have as strong a bench as anyone to impact a game.

I think Khan has been played in a central midfield position where  needs must, same with Kay. Both are very good wide men.

Even more difficult for them now we are playing wing backs. 

It's a similar situation to Sutton who we are now seeing the best of in his correct position. 

I was laughed at by some when I said he'd eventually play in the EFL, but I've no doubt he will. 

41 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Who's played in all bar one of their league games this season and started the last six? Realistic target?

Tbf, does say a player like Matty Palmer. I do think that kind of combative midfielder with a decent passing range feels like the missing piece of the jigsaw. Maybe it will fit into place with the players we already have but with the recent addition of pace it would seem to be the most glaring omission from the current squad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

There's a far better Midfielder starts alongside him

Dan Crowley.

41 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think Khan has been played in a central midfield position where  needs must, same with Kay. Both are very good wide men.

Even more difficult for them now we are playing wing backs. 

It's a similar situation to Sutton who we are now seeing the best of in his correct position. 

I was laughed at by some when I said he'd eventually play in the EFL, but I've no doubt he will. 

Laughed at?  Some disagreed certainly, but laughed at?

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Matty Palmer didn’t look great against Chesterfield at the weekend.

Conlon is the weak link for me. 

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Kai Payne in on loan from Wigan, not heard of him before so will have to do dome digging.

He looks like a more aggressive Dale Stephen’s.

He’s also got the kind of physique you expect for a central midfielder.

Fuck it, get him in ahead of Conlon. He’d run all over him if they came up against each other.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Kai Payne in on loan from Wigan, not heard of him before so will have to do dome digging.

Described in Suzanne's piece as both "combative" and a "holding midfielder", so what we've been calling for on the other thread. Only 19yo, but let's see what he's got.  

12 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Conlon is the weak link for me. 

Certainly is in the position he's playing in - doesn't protect the defence or control the midfield. Maybe he's carrying a knock and will improve.