Transfer Rumours 24/25

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I thought that but his profile is almost exactly opposite to the loanee.

Lundtsram played in Charsley position so that might be the plan now. Wish we got proper injury updates on players from the club

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Tight hamstring, hopefully they've caught it wearly enough. 🤞

No point rushing Lundstram back if a tight hamstring turns into a full blown strain, especially with charsley and dolan doubtful.

New lad could allow Gardner into the more advanced role for the time being. Only here a month initially but that could buy time to get others fit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

No point rushing Lundstram back if a tight hamstring turns into a full blown strain, especially with charsley and dolan doubtful.

New lad could allow Gardner into the more advanced role for the time being. Only here a month initially but that could buy time to get others fit.

Hope not, keeping Gardner deeper is the right way to play him now.  Plenty other midfielders have the legs to press from a more advanced position that he no longer has.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Hope not, keeping Gardner deeper is the right way to play him now.  Plenty other midfielders have the legs to press from a more advanced position that he no longer has.

Agreed Gardner needs to do as little running as possible, and that means playing deeper. He couldn’t press high up for longer than 3 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If Hammond is fit I take it all back!

36 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

Lundtsram played in Charsley position so that might be the plan now. Wish we got proper injury updates on players from the club

Yes and he's looked a different player since.

Drove into the box well for the first goal on Saturday and already scored 3.

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes and he's looked a different player since.

Drove into the box well for the first goal on Saturday and already scored 3.

Will be a big blow if he's injured just as he's come into his best form at the club,

18 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner has a decent amount of goal contributions. Is worthy of a place in the squad, easily. 

Think this will be his final season here, no matter how much effort he puts in at the end to try and get another year

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'll guarantee other teams fear our forward six when they look at whose starting and that's before you look at the depth we can normally name on the bench.

We've suffered this season as three first choice forwards have picked up serious injuries, it probably wasn't the plan to go with Fondop but we've had to and he's given a fair return and put in some decent performances, as a result of the injuries we've had no choice but to dip in to the loan market so the players available now looks inflated.

I suspect by January that group will be trimmed down to who Mellon wants to work with, competition is fierce and the forward players now know if they don't perform they'll lose their position as evidenced by Khan, Hammond, Garner, Norwood all being dropped in recent weeks after sub standard showings, Mellon still hasn't found the key yet as far as I'm concerned but some players are putting in strong claims for starting berths but are still well aware there's someone ready to step in if standards drop.

We currently have cover in every area and that creates healthy competition, we are going to need 20 players to get out of this division and they can all play their part as evidenced by Sutton who was arguably 20th in the pecking order yet came in and put in a man of the match performance on Saturday, that's the strength we have that others fear and we are now unpredictable and hard to set up against.

Fair play to Will by the way, talk about taking your opportunity and character, I never doubted him like others on here and finally he's had a start in his favoured position, playing all those games in an unfamiliar wing back role seems to have added something to his game on the right of a back three and for me if he carries on like that he'll become a real asset both to the team and financially.

Only sticky area for me now is in the holding midfield role, we've tried a two in there and also Conlon on his own but it's not really clicked as yet, partly I feel because we've not quite seen the best of Conlon yet, a lot of the goals we concede come through this area and teams are now driving at us in this area of the pitch, just waltzing unchallenged through us at times. I'm probably a bit harsh on Conlon as I was on Lundstrum and that's mainly because I know they are better than what they've shown, if it does click for Conlon in the coming weeks we'll have some team but for me he needs legs around him as he's not the most mobile, he seems to play better with Gardner alongside but that can't be relied upon, Charsley has also been a huge miss and I'm hoping his latest setback isn't too serious.

I'm happy with our squad now, the pace we've missed in the forward line  is now there and we can set up in a variety of ways against different teams knowing we'll have as strong a bench as anyone to impact a game.

If we had budget available I'd be looking towards a player like Matty Palmer at Notts County who could play alongside Conlon and compliment our midfield. 

Absolutely bang on for me this . Great post !!

3 hours ago, mick26 said:

Certainly is in the position he's playing in - doesn't protect the defence or control the midfield. Maybe he's carrying a knock and will improve.

He’s not injured. He was after his first game for us last season because he hadn’t played in ages at Port Vale.

He never was dynamic and he’s even less so now since his injury. 

Obviously not every player has to be an athlete (remember Oztumer from Walsall or Hoolahan or Bannan) but I just don’t think he’s right for us now. 

If I was the opposition and saw him with the captains armband I’d absolutely go through him, he wouldn’t want to know. 

There’s a reason he went from captain to not being able to make the squad at Port Vale. Say we get promoted, someone like Ben Garritty will run through him.

This Wigan lad if he gets a chance will show the central midfielder we need 

3 hours ago, Boyyou said:

absolutely not! 

16 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He’s not injured. He was after his first game for us last season because he hadn’t played in ages at Port Vale.

He never was dynamic and he’s even less so now since his injury. 

Obviously not every player has to be an athlete (remember Oztumer from Walsall or Hoolahan or Bannan) but I just don’t think he’s right for us now. 

If I was the opposition and saw him with the captains armband I’d absolutely go through him, he wouldn’t want to know. 

There’s a reason he went from captain to not being able to make the squad at Port Vale. Say we get promoted, someone like Ben Garritty will run through him.

This Wigan lad if he gets a chance will show the central midfielder we need 

He's just captained a team that's only lost 1 in 10 and won 5 of the last 6. If he's weak link then we are not very weak. 

The fact he's been made captain by the people who watch the squad every day also probably tells us something about his professionalism in the dressing room and on the training ground, he will likely have a positive influence on the group. Something that might not be that obvious to us who just watch in the stands.

If the new lad from Wigan comes in to start it's likely to be alongside Conlon rather than to replace him.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He's just captained a team that's only lost 1 in 10 and won 5 of the last 6. If he's weak link then we are not very weak. 

The fact he's been made captain by the people who watch the squad every day also probably tells us something about his professionalism in the dressing room and on the training ground, he will likely have a positive influence on the group. Something that might not be that obvious to us who just watch in the stands.

If the new lad from Wigan comes in to start it's likely to be alongside Conlon rather than to replace him.

I’m not disputing that. He was captain at Vale. He’s obviously good in the changing room.

I’m just saying I think we’ve picked up good results in spite of him and if we do get promoted he will definitely be the weak link

23 hours ago, philliggi said:

Drummond has potential as does hammond and lundstram is improving but no one can confidently say to me they can pick our best front 6 when all are fit. 

Im not knocking any of them. All are worthy of squad places, unlike some of the shite we have had in recent years but do you hear other teams fearing our attacking options like we have looked at chris conn clarke, ryan colclough, elliott lee, paul mullin, mccauley langstaff, paul McCallum? 

All the promoted teams have attacking players other clubs fear and we just dont have that. Thats all im saying. We are good, but just not exceptional for the level. 

Whilst not fully agreeing with your original point, I do agree that we don't have sufficient quality in sufficient depth. I`ve previously said sell/get rid of the ineffective 70 year old forward partnership and go for younger, quicker, more powerful forwards. Hopefully, that will happen. Someone else has said we now have plenty of cover. We may have but not of sufficient quality IMO but let's see how it pans out.

I don't understand why you get called out so much for making a reasonable point. The people who keep going on about our wins recently;  don't you think we should be going on winning runs in this poor division? With our budget, I certainly do and I hope we soon go on another. If we do, and maintain it, I might just start to be convinced. Jury is definitely still out for me as to whether we have what it takes.

16 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner has a decent amount of goal contributions. Is worthy of a place in the squad, easily. 

2nd in the league for assists. Absolutely deserves a place in the lineup. 

• Like 5