Transfer Rumours 24/25

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Considering the tantrums he threw, the continued assertions that he knows what good looks like and the pathetic end to the season I really thought we would have some signings lined up ready to go early doors to get some feelgood factor back into the place.

I am not really sure we need the feelgood factor yet as this is the quiet down time for more or less everyone.

Let's just see what happens by mid-July and let us all look forward and stop dwelling on last season as nothing we say or do is going to change anything about it now.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Considering the tantrums he threw, the continued assertions that he knows what good looks like and the pathetic end to the season I really thought we would have some signings lined up ready to go early doors to get some feelgood factor back into the place.

Fans:  "This season has not been good enough!"

Melllon: "Yes, this season has not been good enough!"

Fans: "Jeez, what's his problem??"

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

if he hadn't taken 14 minutes to say that, repeatedly, it wouldn't be much of an issue

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think it went a bit beyond that to be honest, the ridiculous suggestion that we were in relegation trouble being an example...

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

if he hadn't taken 14 minutes to say that, repeatedly, it wouldn't be much of an issue

Hmmmm... still a dip in the ocean compared to the (mostly justified) criticism dished out by fans. 

He met us half way. Prefer he said what he did rather than the standard, generic media answer we've been given by managers gone by...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I think it went a bit beyond that to be honest, the ridiculous suggestion that we were in relegation trouble being an example...

Yeah, fair point..

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Hmmmm... still a dip in the ocean compared to the (mostly justified) criticism dished out by fans. 

He met us half way. Prefer he said what he did rather than the standard, generic media answer we've been given by managers gone by...

At least he didn't say we'd been unlucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I'd say he has greater obligations than we do to be vaguely sober in public.  He could have said what he did in about 30 seconds.  I really thought it was a remarkable interview and i'fd have happily driven him to the station straight after it

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m not really sure I’m looking forward to next season….If we don’t start like a house on fire he’s going to get absolutely slaughtered isn’t he?

We need 4 or 5 good signings to get everyone back on board. It's got to be better than last season hasn't it?

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Inih Effiong has just posted on his social media that he is leaving Dagenham this summer if we are looking for a target man.....

Would take him all day long. Always a proper handful and has a goal in him. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m not really sure I’m looking forward to next season….If we don’t start like a house on fire he’s going to get absolutely slaughtered isn’t he?

Yes. A very good start is key for Micky.

Fans will turn quickly if we don’t, especially if the football is still crap after (I assume!!) further recruitment. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

He will get slaughtered if we start like we did last season and for good reason if that happens.

But it doesn't have to be a perfect start just get us in the mix though that will be enough. The reason we didn't get top 7 last season was more to do with our finish than our start. A good start will help but its not essential.

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He will get slaughtered if we start like we did last season and for good reason if that happens.

But it doesn't have to be a perfect start just get us in the mix though that will be enough. The reason we didn't get top 7 last season was more to do with our finish than our start. A good start will help but its not essential.

We won one of our first ten games!

We need a good start. It's a long season and all that jazz but...we need a good start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Yes he's got very little wiggle room mainly because he's so far gone about blaming just about everyone and everything else bar himself for our piss poor performances, if we start how we finished the last season he won't be here long as there would be a piss boil off the scale.

28 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We won one of our first ten games!

We need a good start. It's a long season and all that jazz but...we need a good start.

Yet we still recovered to get in the top 7 by the end of the calendar year. It was the form in March and April that really cost us. I'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming for anything other than a good start. Certainly doing better than last year thats a very low hurdle to get over though. But if we are to take any lessons from last season it is that a good start is a big help a good finish is absolutely critical.

Edited by GlossopLatic

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes he's got very little wiggle room mainly because he's so far gone about blaming just about everyone and everything else bar himself for our piss poor performances, if we start how we finished the last season he won't be here long as there would be a piss boil off the scale.

Can't believe you lot on here. Do any of you understand the meaning of the word" Supporter"??

Mellon will try his best with what he's got and what he might get.

For God's sake give the man a chance. Ferguson did nothing for 5 years and look what happened after they just beat us in the F.A. cup. Hate united but they set the standard for several years.

Get behind our club or fuck off is what I think.Even if we start bad I'll still be behind us and forever hopeful.Our time will come , perhaps not premiership again but we will get out of this league because our true support is strong. I'm hoping to enjoy the ride even if it's a bit bumpy.Do the same and stop putting pressure on our manager and Frank.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

We don't need quick signings. We need good ones. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It's about perspective. Mellon took over after 16 games, with somebody else's team. As it happened we finished 10th, 8 points adrift of the playoffs. We dropped points in 31 games last season. What that means is we only have to be a couple of shades less shit to make the playoffs. When you give Mellon, a serial promotion winner, a full summer of transfer business to make the squad his own, and a full season of games with his team, I'd be willing to wager we can bridge that gap between dropping points in 31 games, down to 27 to make the playoffs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

It's about perspective. Mellon took over after 16 games, with somebody else's team. As it happened we finished 10th, 8 points adrift of the playoffs. We dropped points in 31 games last season. What that means is we only have to be a couple of shades less shit to make the playoffs. When you give Mellon, a serial promotion winner, a full summer of transfer business to make the squad his own, and a full season of games with his team, I'd be willing to wager we can bridge that gap between dropping points in 31 games, down to 27 to make the playoffs. 

Making the playoffs can't be the target, only title challenges will do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Can't believe you lot on here. Do any of you understand the meaning of the word" Supporter"??

Mellon will try his best with what he's got and what he might get.

For God's sake give the man a chance. Ferguson did nothing for 5 years and look what happened after they just beat us in the F.A. cup. Hate united but they set the standard for several years.

Get behind our club or fuck off is what I think.Even if we start bad I'll still be behind us and forever hopeful.Our time will come , perhaps not premiership again but we will get out of this league because our true support is strong. I'm hoping to enjoy the ride even if it's a bit bumpy.Do the same and stop putting pressure on our manager and Frank.

You don't want to be coming out with that lot to any paying customer, let alone to one who goes both home and away.

Mellon brought pressure on himself by taking the job in the first place, he knew he was taking on his toughest gig and how disgruntled the fan's/supporters had been for decade's,

For me, Mellon has to get it right at home, first and foremost or it's a non starter,

I hope he gets us on the front foot from the off and shows the kind of intent needed to improve our lot in the short term.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Making the playoffs can't be the target, only title challenges will do.

Agree completely. I see talk on Twitter and on here about us trying to make the play offs as if scraping in is the aim. What sort of mindset is this? 

We will still probably have the biggest budget, maybe 2nd/3rd after FGR and York. We’ve got a serial promotion winning manager who also will be on a whack to deliver promotion. I’d be surprised if Mellon isn’t one of the highest paid managers in our league AND league 2. We have promotion winners dotted about the squad and players who SHOULD be producing much more. 

Just Scraping play offs after another summer can’t be the goal. Of course I’d take 7th now if you offered it as we haven’t had a play off finish in forever, but we should be talking about going for automatic, not hoping we can get a couple of extra points than this season. 

I’m also not saying the squad is ready to win the league, it’s not. I’d like to think it will be a dam sight closer in 6-8 weeks after further recruitment. I know We’re not ready to win the league in terms of the squad, but I’d like to think that’s still the aim. 

Edited by aaronoafc
  • Like 2