Transfer Rumours 24/25

55 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Making the playoffs can't be the target, only title challenges will do.

I've never got the mentality - in any season - of aiming for anything less than winning the league.  "Aiming for the play-offs" seems to suggest you're not aiming to win every game you play.

Getting into the play-offs means getting into the top 29% of teams in this league which includes maybe four (anyone know?) part time outfits and another half dozen or so whose home gate rarely rises above, say, 1,500.  

There is no way on earth that merely getting into the play-offs can be any measure of success, albeit that it would represent progress.

Given the promotion structure then top of the league is the aim with top three being just about acceptable.

40 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Getting into the play-offs means getting into the top 29% of teams in this league which includes maybe four (anyone know?) part time outfits and another half dozen or so whose home gate rarely rises above, say, 1,500.  

There is no way on earth that merely getting into the play-offs can be any measure of success, albeit that it would represent progress.

Given the promotion structure then top of the league is the aim with top three being just about acceptable.

Fully agree. Its underestimated how much easier winning the playoffs is coming 2nd or 3rd which has been proven over the last 2 years.

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

“Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars" 

Aim high innit?

"Aim for the play-offs and you'll probably fuck it up".

P, Joe. Owtb forum.  12/6/24.

• Like 1

Big event on at the OEC and rugby tweeting about a big announcement - we'll be involved in this won't we?

Guinness world record event for dancing! Hope the pitch can take it. Charity event split between Alzheimer's and Rob Burrow's charity.

Edited by mick26

2 hours ago, mick26 said:

Big event on at the OEC and rugby tweeting about a big announcement - we'll be involved in this won't we?

Guinness world record event for dancing! Hope the pitch can take it. Charity event split between Alzheimer's and Rob Burrow's charity.

We could learn a lot from the rugby their social media and commercial output is far superior than ours and they are a semi professional team. 

28 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We could learn a lot from the rugby their social media and commercial output is far superior than ours and they are a semi professional team. 

Sorry but that's complete bollocks, they are mid season you know, I wouldn't even know they existed if I didn't search for it. Give examples of this so called superiority then, I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sorry but that's complete bollocks, they are mid season you know, I wouldn't even know they existed if I didn't search for it. Give examples of this so called superiority then, I'm intrigued.

To be fair their highlights are pretty good with a "professional" commentory and full match replays often available.

I'd imagine the National League precludes us from doing likewise however.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

To be fair their highlights are pretty good with a "professional" commentory and full match replays often available.

I'd imagine the National League precludes us from doing likewise however.

Twitter presence is good, plenty of clips and interviews - suppose it's just a case of following on twitter or subscribing to the YouTube channel to make the most of it.

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

They host business speaking events every month. This gains them revenue along with extra sponsorship.

Their commercial manager gets out into the community to drum up business. 

2. Highlights and behind the scene interviews with players. Sees a connection with players.

we can’t even send out sponsored shirts… 

12 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

They host business speaking events every month. This gains them revenue along with extra sponsorship.

Their commercial manager gets out into the community to drum up business. 

2. Highlights and behind the scene interviews with players. Sees a connection with players.

we can’t even send out sponsored shirts… 

Ah you have a personal gripe, fair point but I still think the clubs hands are tied a bit more with the content they can put out.

They are doing the dance thing in May 2025.

That will be after Latics finish and before the annual pitch renovation.

As for the rugby, they are similar to Latics in that they are trying to do things properly and restore the club after a generation of abuse and neglect.

I support both and more power to the people who are trying to revive professional sport in the town.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Ah you have a personal gripe, fair point but I still think the clubs hands are tied a bit more with the content they can put out.

No personal gripe just our commercial side of the business is pretty poor

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, Dave_Og said:

if he hadn't taken 14 minutes to say that, repeatedly, it wouldn't be much of an issue

People on here spent 9 months saying the same thing over and over. He narrowed that timing down quire well then

35 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I want Quigley from Eastleigh 

That would probably give us one of the oldest combined strike forces in professional football!

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

That would probably give us one of the oldest combined strike forces in professional football!

Old isn't a problem up top because experience and knowhow carries them through

We need younger more dynamic players behind them