Transfer Rumours 24/25

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

So with Shelton gone we’re down to 18 senior pros

2 Keepers 

6 Defenders 

5 midfielders 

5 Forwards. 

Id expect Reid, Nuttall, and possibly Ward to go leaving us with 15/16. Which means there could be as many as 9 new faces to bring us up to 24/25 mark. Not that difficult to reshape the squad after all Micky. . . 

To add to this, I think Hogan, Sheron and unfortunately Norwood could also be on the way out. 

28 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's difficult to reshape the squad to the levels we were looking for mid-season though.

I was referencing his interview at the end of the season- ‘lots of players under contract/will be very difficult this summer/I’ll have to wheel and deal.’ 

The reality. . 

Over two windows he will have at least half squad of his own signings going into next season. To change the squad  to that extent has been relatively easy,    and nowhere near as difficult as he made it out to be. 

27 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

To add to this, I think Hogan, Sheron and unfortunately Norwood could also be on the way out. 

Hogan- possibly- but I don’t think so given he won’t get a similar deal elsewhere at his age. 

Sheron- I think will stay, but won’t play as much  (MM loves grafters) 

Norwood- possibly, if rumours about conduct are true. 

42 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Cant see Norwood going. Hogan, Sheron, Reid and maybe Nuttall is the players i expect to leave

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Bloody good signing for Braintree that!

He's getting on a bit at 33..... but 16 goals in 28 games for a team finishing only 4 points off relegation is a decent return.

A goal every 151 mins according to Transfer Markt. Wonder how that compares to Norwood and our strikers?

Probably paying him a few quid and based down South, so unlikely to move up to the tropics but would have been a useful weapon.

Way too old for us then 😉

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I expect Norwood to still be with us unless an affluent L2 club want to take him on. I also expect with more dynamic and pacey wide players, a beast in midfield and the extra creativity that will bring will bring out the best in our Turkey-toothed, newly thatched, moody goal machine.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Strange how hospitality was sold out post Christmas for every football fixture, I watch both and want each to do well but i can't agree with your observations, I've sampled hospitality at both and the rugby are light years behind, they can't even sell out matchday sponsorship packages or hospitality which is generally pie and peas and are being heavily subsidised in a very poor league that lacks competitiveness. 

I would also suggest that commercial revenue is probably as high as it's ever been on the football side and continues to grow given Frank, Judith, Luke, Sue and Darren's contacts, to add to that some of the stuff put out by the media team is as good as you'll see at our level and I'm excited to see what Matt, Andy and their team bring to the table this season on the back of the very successful podcast and phone in - in it's new guise as We are Oldham, personally I think you are being unfair making such a poor comparison and I'm not actually sure what it is your expecting from a non league football club.

Great post. 

Surely there is enough player stuff to keep the negative comments going without turning on our commercial department and why has it popped up in a transfer rumour topic?

12 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Great post. 

Surely there is enough player stuff to keep the negative comments going without turning on our commercial department and why has it popped up in a transfer rumour topic?

Nothing else to moan about for a month or so ?  🤬

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

So with Shelton gone we’re down to 18 senior pros

2 Keepers 

6 Defenders 

5 midfielders 

5 Forwards. 

Id expect Reid, Nuttall, and possibly Ward to go leaving us with 15/16. Which means there could be as many as 9 new faces to bring us up to 24/25 mark. Not that difficult to reshape the squad after all Micky. . . 

According to DR in the Oldham Times, MM wants a squad of 20 outfield, including young prospects, plus goalkeepers.

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ah ok. 👍🏻

Well, in that case looks like we’ll only sign 3 or 4 more then. Which looks light to me. 

Still scope for squad strengthening if we can recruit on a one out, one in basis I suppose.

A full overhaul, which many seem to want, will take more than one transfer window.

MM seems happy to work with a smaller, more tight knit group. Should be helped by matchday squads being 18 in the new season., keeping more involved. If we get injuries/loss of form then there is the loan market.

Last season was daft with 30-odd players, half of them not in the equation for a variety of reasons.

6 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Still scope for squad strengthening if we can recruit on a one out, one in basis I suppose.

A full overhaul, which many seem to want, will take more than one transfer window.

MM seems happy to work with a smaller, more tight knit group. Should be helped by matchday squads being 18 in the new season., keeping more involved. If we get injuries/loss of form then there is the loan market.

Last season was daft with 30-odd players, half of them not in the equation for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, much better having a smaller squad. I just think 3 or 4 isn’t enough. 

Reid and Nuttall will never play for us again. 

That leaves 16 senior pros. 

We still need,

Left back cover. 
Two wingers

One/two midfielders 

Two strikers 

That would give us a squad of 22/23 which is still small, but gives us good options. I don’t want loans unless they’re season long. 

Personally I think we will lose a keeper who will probably be replaced by a loanee hopefully by Cieran Slicker from Ipswich who is 21 and wants first team football, Oldham lad and well thought of, he could be this seasons Ripley/Iverson.

I expect a couple of the kids to be added to the first team squad and a further 5 or 6 signings, each of which need to fit the profile. We can't afford anymore projects we need players to come in and make a difference. If we have to wait till June or even July to get the right ones in then so be it. I also think at least four or five will leave although that may take some time to sort out given some are sat on contracts they are unlikely to get matched anywhere else.

It's difficult seeing others strengthen particularly our main competitors but we have to trust the process.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Personally I think we will lose a keeper who will probably be replaced by a loanee hopefully by Cieran Slicker from Ipswich who is 21 and wants first team football, Oldham lad and well thought of, he could be this seasons Ripley/Iverson.

I expect a couple of the kids to be added to the first team squad and a further 5 or 6 signings, each of which need to fit the profile. We can't afford anymore projects we need players to come in and make a difference. If we have to wait till June or even July to get the right ones in then so be it. I also think at least four or five will leave although that may take some time to sort out given some are sat on contracts they are unlikely to get matched anywhere else.

It's difficult seeing others strengthen particularly our main competitors but we have to trust the process.

Don't think you'll be too far off there, Yarddog73.

Presuming the 3 youngsters offered deals actually sign, I would think they'll be around the senior squad.

If we can persuade 4 or 5 to leave it would make all the difference and yes, replacements have to be significant upgrades.

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

I was referencing his interview at the end of the season- ‘lots of players under contract/will be very difficult this summer/I’ll have to wheel and deal.’ 

The reality. . 

Over two windows he will have at least half squad of his own signings going into next season. To change the squad  to that extent has been relatively easy,    and nowhere near as difficult as he made it out to be. 

So LOF, how do you know it hasn’t been difficult to get to this point? Maybe just maybe MM has done/is doing a really good job. 

The way you present it is suggesting MM was just whinging and really it has been a piece of cake.  Do you think it is “easy” to tell someone you are not required? Somehow you have to do that while preventing those on contracts and good money from just sitting collecting that money for a year.  I’m guessing you are just assuming texting someone “you are not in my plans next year, please leave” is how you do it.

• Like 1

This coming Monday (17 June) it will be exactly…

• 21 days until our pre-season training camp in Scotland 

• 23 days until the fixtures are released

• 26 days until our first pre-season friendly v Stockport

👀

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

So LOF, how do you know it hasn’t been difficult to get to this point? Maybe just maybe MM has done/is doing a really good job. 

The way you present it is suggesting MM was just whinging and really it has been a piece of cake.  Do you think it is “easy” to tell someone you are not required? Somehow you have to do that while preventing those on contracts and good money from just sitting collecting that money for a year.  I’m guessing you are just assuming texting someone “you are not in my plans next year, please leave” is how you do it.

He was whinging Pidge, he knew we could release about 10 players immediately. Leaving him with 19 contracted senior pros. The lads going already know and have done for a while. . . Shelton has hardly featured and Dean Brennan said he tried to sign him a few times last season so MM knew he had admirers. Also he has said it publicly about Reid and Nuttall- so no he doesn’t find it hard. 😂 This week DR said MM wants 20 out field players. He signed a right back quite quickly, and a player who knew he was going has left to the club who have been trying to sign him. 

So. 

Release who I can. 
The players leaving have known for months. 
Try to sign a few players. 

All seem very normal to me, and what every manager at every club is doing. 

Lastly, no he doesn’t get credit for reshaping the squad, the club do for backing their manager and allowing him to ostracise big earners while they pick up the tab. He only gets credit when his reshaping garners the results that he was employed for. You or I, could reshape a squad-  it’s winning games that matters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

This coming Monday (17 June) it will be exactly…

• 21 days until our pre-season training camp in Scotland 

• 23 days until the fixtures are released

• 26 days until our first pre-season friendly v Stockport

👀

So we have three weeks to sign people... seems like plenty to me? 

• Like 3