Transfer Rumours 24/25

Those praising Sheron are the same people complaining that the midfield has been crap for two years.

He's got the most appearances for the period in which we all agree has been the worst central midfield we have seen. 

He also can’t pass or trap a football. 

He makes decent runs into the box, sometimes, can tackle and run.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Those praising Sheron are the same people complaining that the midfield has been crap for two years.

He's got the most appearances for the period in which we all agree has been the worst central midfield we have seen. 

Nope, those praising Sheron are highlighting his attributes as well as his flaws. He has played in a poor midfield and needs to take his share of responsibility in that.

However he’s an easy target. There has been over 90 league games in the last two seasons, but let’s highlight the ever present player . . while all the others become better by not playing. He has also played centre half and right back, all for the good of the team. 

His passing is poor, I don’t think anyone would argue. But equally not many midfielders scored 8 goals last season, with a couple of worldies. He’s a very useful squad player, but I know we need better for starting 11. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

No way of proving that statement one way or the other, but many seem to think he should be the first midfielder out the door (including Mellon, it seems...), when he should probably be the last.

Based on how they've played for us, Sheron would be a bigger loss than Lundstram, Conlon, Hammond or Ward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I think you have missed the point of what most posters are saying.

League One has summed it up nicely. All we have tried to do is praise the attitude and commitment of a limited player .

I can't recall many , if any , say keep him or are bothered if he goes and others have quite rightly pointed out that in order to get promoted we need better.

It is possible to praise a poor player , you even managed to squeak out a bit of positivity in your last sentence :)

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Nope, those praising Sheron are highlighting his attributes as well as his flaws. He has played in a poor midfield and needs to take his share of responsibility in that.

However he’s an easy target. There has been over 90 league games in the last two seasons, but let’s highlight the ever present player . . while all the others become better by not playing. He has also played centre half and right back, all for the good of the team. 

His passing is poor, I don’t think anyone would argue. But equally not many midfielders scored 8 goals last season, with a couple of worldies. He’s a very useful squad player, but I know we need better for starting 11. 

But he’s an ever present in a poor midfield ? Why so much admiration for such a limited footballer. I struggle to get my head around it, but all opinions I suppose. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

But he’s an ever present in a poor midfield ? Why so much admiration for such a limited footballer. I struggle to get my head around it, but all opinions I suppose. 

Just trying to give a more balanced view perhaps ?

We all know his limitations but he's never "downed tools" like some of his peers ! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

You have to be outstanding to make up for poor partners in midfield. I think we can all agree Sheron is not an outstanding. Maybe he is OK at NL level. So he needs another 3 at OK NL level to be an OK midfield. You can hence see why we weren’t good enough at this level despite OK efforts on Sheron’s part.

Actually rethinking that, far from making up for poor partners,  Sheron was really poor when playing with partners performing poorly. He gets on the back foot, backing off the opposition and fails to stop them playing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Slowest. Revamp. Ever.

I think history would suggest that it is hard to sign players whilst they are away at major tournaments. Let's be patient until after the final. 😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Slowest. Revamp. Ever.

It’s a bit bizarre at the moment usually we have seen two or three in who are our main targets.

other clubs made signings we must have made the least of the clubs who can make signings. Hopefully we don’t get left with the scraps.  

15 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Reckon this could be about us? 

I’m sure I read at the time Hobson signed for us that last minute he picked us over Accrington because of the money offered. Could be wrong. 

I can’t imagine he’d be earning anywhere close to 4.5k a week though.

He loves a social media moan, doesn't he? It's probably one player they were gazumped for and more likely related to business that's already happened like Tozer at FGR or York and Sinclair, who knows?

Whilst we probably have offered attractive packages, the Rothwell family don't seem to operate in a reckless, bank-of-never-never style. I appreciate Norwood came with a hefty wage demands (he was a leading L1 striker, after all), but I'd guess they overall favour more longer term deals laced with performance bonuses instead of higher salaries.

Anyway, they might take Nuttall off our hands, hopefully!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Anyway, they might take Nuttall off our hands, hopefully!

He might like a moan but he ain't stupid.

That's the figure I heard Norwood came in on so it wouldn't surprise me if he was referring to us. Saying that If he helped get us promoted next season it would still be money well spent. I reckon Hobson is on between 1500 and 2000 a week, same with Raglan. Nuttall is probably on more and the likes of Willoughby slightly less. Fylde wanted Willoughby as do Chester but they are only offering him half of what he's on now which is why he probably wants to stay and fight for his place.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He might like a moan but he ain't stupid.

That's the figure I heard Norwood came in on so it wouldn't surprise me if he was referring to us. Saying that If he helped get us promoted next season it would still be money well spent. I reckon Hobson is on between 1500 and 2000 a week, same with Raglan. Nuttall is probably on more and the likes of Willoughby slightly less. Fylde wanted Willoughby as do Chester but they are only offering him half of what he's on now which is why he probably wants to stay and fight for his place.

It's a budget busting mess

Guess we'll have make the best of what we've got on a limited fund's 

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Reckon this could be about us? 

Accrington's average attendance last season was 2,560, ours was just shy of 7,000.  I can't imagine why we wouldn't have a bigger budget.  Yes, they will get more funding from central sources than we would but I'd imagine we would outstrip them commercially, or certainly should do!   just shows that they are punching above their weight and us below ours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Accrington's average attendance last season was 2,560, ours was just shy of 7,000.  I can't imagine why we wouldn't have a bigger budget.  Yes, they will get more funding from central sources than we would but I'd imagine we would outstrip them commercially, or certainly should do!   just shows that they are punching above their weight and us below ours.

True, although I think they have sold and bought wisely.

Whereas we have not been great in that aspect.

Peterborough are another club who have been astute and  IMO will make a small fortune when they sell new signings Conn-Clarke and Nevett in the future.