Transfer Rumours 24/25

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

True, although I think they have sold and bought wisely.

Whereas we have not been great in that aspect.

Peterborough are another club who have been astute and  IMO will make a small fortune when they sell new signings Conn-Clarke and Nevett in the future.

I can barely remember the last time we sold anybody.  Recruitment has been a shambles for as long as I can remember.  For the decade or more prior to the Rothwells arriving that was probably down to us being firstly a club on our @rse and then during Abdallah's reign being absolutely toxic and that being well known.  Less excuse since then although I dare say it would take a little while to shake off a well deserved reputation.  

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can barely remember the last time we sold anybody.  Recruitment has been a shambles for as long as I can remember.  For the decade or more prior to the Rothwells arriving that was probably down to us being firstly a club on our @rse and then during Abdallah's reign being absolutely toxic and that being well known.  Less excuse since then although I dare say it would take a little while to shake off a well deserved reputation.  

we were run for years by Corney who refused to offer anything longer than one year. There was never a speculate to accumulate culture since TTA were all actively involved.

the only ones we did do well on were home grown players like Tarky, and even then the potential wasn’t properly fulfilled because the sell-ins were traded in quick smart.

Assets need time to develop and hone. It will come on the journey but the priority has to be building a side to get out of this division.

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

we were run for years by Corney who refused to offer anything longer than one year. There was never a speculate to accumulate culture since TTA were all actively involved.

the only ones we did do well on were home grown players like Tarky, and even then the potential wasn’t properly fulfilled because the sell-ins were traded in quick smart.

Assets need time to develop and hone. It will come on the journey but the priority has to be building a side to get out of this division.

Absolutely.  The poor recruitment over the last couple of years has been a surprise but, prima facie, most of the signings looked pretty good in theory...  I'm bothered by how much money we appear to have chucked agents' way in this new era - wouldn't have thought that was necessary.  What we really need in my book is a manager who gets the best out of his players, develops a consistent approach, can grind out results, has a variety of plans etc.  Whether we've got one....well, the jury's out

4 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Harry Vaughan?

yep, one of a very few.  I wouldn't be surprised if we'd sold more kids that were years away from the first team than actual established players over the last few years.

I can think of Edmondson and Hamer.  I imagine there's a few more but they're not coming to me

46 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

yep, one of a very few.  I wouldn't be surprised if we'd sold more kids that were years away from the first team than actual established players over the last few years.

I can think of Edmondson and Hamer.  I imagine there's a few more but they're not coming to me

Didn't we get a fee for Zac Emmerson who went to Brighton-I think he is at Blackpool now.

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Didn't we get a fee for Zac Emmerson who went to Brighton-I think he is at Blackpool now.

We did - was hardly a player that had come through to first team level though. - he was 15 and had made two sub appearances

he spent most of last season back on the south coast on loan at Eastbourne

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Something isn't stacking up.

It’s probably a combination of things.

1 - Wanting to see who we can get off the wage bill first so we have more of an idea in terms of budget. I think the priority for the last few weeks will have been to shift who we can. 

2 - Contracts not officially expiring until June 30th. Once that pay packet stops coming in agents/players will be wanting a deal quicker. 

3 - (I’m hoping) We’re after the better of the available (realistic) players. This would mean their agents are holding out to get the best deal which is understandable if their contract hasn’t yet officially expired. 

I’m hoping that’s the case anyway. It’s a bit boring right now granted, but I’ve no doubt things will pick up in a week or 2. 

• Like 1

I think it's stacking up OK.  We were never going to commit to a significant new wage bill unless we could get a few that are under contract off.  So now we've moved on McGahey, Shelton and Sheron and I'm sure others will follow. So the available budget becomes clearer and we know which market we're shopping in.

1 hour ago, oafcmb said:

Sheron joining Hartlepool for a nominal fee

"The Oldham Times understands that Mellon advised Sheron at the end of season player debrief that he would not be part of the Scot's first team plans going forward."

"Hartlepool are believed to have agreed a nominal fee, with Sheron having a year remaining on his contract."

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

What we mustn't do is sell Alfie Atherton for peanuts. A big fee and adds are a must for him.

Assuming he's not gone already under the paltry compensation rule.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What we mustn't do is sell Alfie Atherton for peanuts. A big fee and adds are a must for him.

Can't he just refuse to sign a contract ?

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

'At a height of six foot and as an out-and-out centre-forward, the 27-year old may not be a like-for-like replacement for attacking midfielder Chris Conn-Clarke'

No, fair comment!

Becoming one of the better days.

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Out of our hands isn't it?

42 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

It’s probably a combination of things.

1 - Wanting to see who we can get off the wage bill first so we have more of an idea in terms of budget. I think the priority for the last few weeks will have been to shift who we can. 

2 - Contracts not officially expiring until June 30th. Once that pay packet stops coming in agents/players will be wanting a deal quicker. 

3 - (I’m hoping) We’re after the better of the available (realistic) players. This would mean their agents are holding out to get the best deal which is understandable if their contract hasn’t yet officially expired. 

I’m hoping that’s the case anyway. It’s a bit boring right now granted, but I’ve no doubt things will pick up in a week or 2. 

Couldn’t agree more with all of this. 

• Like 1