Transfer Rumours 24/25

A tryer and gave his all, not much quality but not many showed quality last season.

Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts and Stockport had far superior players in midfield. If we want promotion we too need better.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hard to play when the ball is constantly flying over your head, hopefully the next manager might be able to get more of them.

They play alongside Sheron not in front of him, if the ball is bypassing the midfield (which it did) then that’s coming from the defence. 

Anyway. He’s gone. Good luck to him.

Hopefully the others come good with others around them. . However, I’ll watch with interest who the fans Ire turns to next season when they can’t blame everything on Sheron. 

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hard to play when the ball is constantly flying over your head, hopefully the next manager might be able to get more of them.

I hear what you're saying, but if he's made Conlon captain, you'd assume there'll be more of a focus to play it through midfield next season.

Absolute anyone's guess at this stage how we're going to shape up next year. You'll assume as the biggest club in the league we'll be favourites with the bookies, but the reality is it could go either way and will probably be somewhere in the middle. Again. 

Would I want him starting in midfield every week - No

Would I have kept him as a squad player - Probably Yes

Was he as good as some on twitter are making out - absolutely no where near.

Am I bothered he's gone to another NL side - not really no.

If ever there was a time for posting the Alan partridge shrug of the shoulders meme, now would probably be it.

• Like 1

I'm really worried that the players Mellon wants are in fact rejecting us as did Berry and Colclough last year

Hope we don't end up with the situation Shez had just signing any one to make up the numbers. Hope the club is in control and that I'm wrong.Lack of incomings is worrying.

10 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

I'm really worried that the players Mellon wants are in fact rejecting us as did Berry and Colclough last year

Hope we don't end up with the situation Shez had just signing any one to make up the numbers. Hope the club is in control and that I'm wrong.Lack of incomings is worrying.

They’re loads of players waiting to be paid handsomely in the national league. Be reet. 

Lundstram and Conlon have both been great at other clubs. They are both at the right age. They have also both had their issues which have probably affected their performances with us. It’s not blind hope to think that if those things get worked on with Lundstram (confidence) and Conlon (fitness) then we might see more from both of them next season. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Didn’t we, allegedly, lose interest in Colclough due to past misdemeanours?

As for Berry, I  don't recall us being seriously linked despite BP1960 suggesting he was the best thing since sliced bread. IIRC there was a rumour that a friend of a friend of someone who once went to Macc had suggested he had been deterred by our playing style - or lack thereof.

We don't know which players Mellon wants so can't know if they are willing to sign or not. It's all up in the air at the moment. No need to panic, although I agree that a signing soon would help soothe the nerves.

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

100% 

It’s also very strange how everyone agrees that our midfield has been awful, and yet it’s only Sheron that has been holding us back apparently. . Despite scoring and contributing more than the rest of them put together. 

Maybe Lundy and Conlon will come good, but neither have done anything in their time at the club. So it’s pure hope rather than expectation. 

Neither are dynamic or have any guile which we badly need in midfield. I'll be interested to see who MM brings in to play that role.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Neither are dynamic or have any guile which we badly need in midfield. I'll be interested to see who MM brings in to play that role.

He won't be signing players of that type.

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

I'd rather get business done early.  Having irons in the fire is no good until they've signed on the dotted line.  Other clubs who are making signings already have a good idea of what their squad looks like for next year, which is an advantage because they have less work to do dicking around in the transfer market and can concentrate on tactics and gelling the team instead.

56 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Lundstram and Conlon have both been great at other clubs. They are both at the right age. They have also both had their issues which have probably affected their performances with us. It’s not blind hope to think that if those things get worked on with Lundstram (confidence) and Conlon (fitness) then we might see more from both of them next season. 

They need to completely reinvent themselves from last season.  As I say, what they've done for other clubs is no use to us. The worry is there's not been a snippet from either of them here where we can go "Yes!  Do more of that!".  I still can't really tell what either of their games entail...

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

My hopes for Lundstram are very low. Apparently being so lacking in confidence that he couldn't make a step up in the same division doesn't sound to me like a good player in the making 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

My hopes for Lundstram are very low. Apparently being so lacking in confidence that he couldn't make a step up in the same division doesn't sound to me like a good player in the making 

It’s disingenuous to simply describe the teams as being in the same division. From low crowds and low expectations to big crowds and big expectations. Plus he was injured for the start of the season and was pretty much bigged up by Unsworth as being the missing piece of the puzzle. That’s a lot to put on someone’s shoulders and then effectively write off their chances of improving. 

49 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s disingenuous to simply describe the teams as being in the same division. From low crowds and low expectations to big crowds and big expectations. Plus he was injured for the start of the season and was pretty much bigged up by Unsworth as being the missing piece of the puzzle. That’s a lot to put on someone’s shoulders and then effectively write off their chances of improving. 

It's not disingenuous but I do understand your point. But it's indisputable that big players can step up. Not being able to do so is far from encouraging but I hope he can do it this season 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I'd rather get business done early.  Having irons in the fire is no good until they've signed on the dotted line.  Other clubs who are making signings already have a good idea of what their squad looks like for next year, which is an advantage because they have less work to do dicking around in the transfer market and can concentrate on tactics and gelling the team instead.

We did most of our business early last year, look where that got us.

I didn't want to really get involved until the new season but if I`m (admittedly a quick scan) reading this right then we are apparently looking to build our midfield around Conlon and Lundstram? If so, Lord help us. From what I saw, both were poor. Conlon and Lundstram shouldn't even feature in my view if we are serious about progressing. Get rid.

42 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

We did most of our business early last year, look where that got us.

And then most of our preparation had to be rethought with the late signing of Norwood..

12 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I didn't want to really get involved until the new season but if I`m (admittedly a quick scan) reading this right then we are apparently looking to build our midfield around Conlon and Lundstram? If so, Lord help us. From what I saw, both were poor. Conlon and Lundstram shouldn't even feature in my view if we are serious about progressing. Get rid.

Nope. No-one knows what 5PM is looking to do with our midfield but we do know that Conlon & Lundstram will play some part. Just how much will depend on who else comes in - in Mellon we trust…👀

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

We're all just guessing really. 😄

• Like 1

Far too much hope being placed on Lundy and Conlon here. Both have played in a midfield described by many as non existent. Neither are leaders, (or they play doesn’t suggest they are) both go missing. They don’t really put their foot in, especially Conlon. Can be good on their day as every player can, but nowhere consistent enough. The idea that a new midfielder playing alongside them will be enough to see us challenging for the top 3 is fanciful in my view. 

If we sign a bully who can pass a ball, we might do ok, if he signs a baller with no tenacity we’ll just get steamrolled. 

• Like 1

I'm not putting any pressure on any player, it won't and shouldn't be about individuals but how we gel as a team. Let's see who he brings in to complement what we've got before we start writing our chances off. I wish we'd just sign a player or two because our fans seem to be stuck in the bad mood Mellon projected at the back end of the season. 

I expect plenty of movement in the next couple of weeks, can't we at least try to be a little more optimistic given we haven't a clue whose about to be brought in.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not putting any pressure on any player, it won't and shouldn't be about individuals but how we gel as a team. Let's see who he brings in to complement what we've got before we start writing our chances off. I wish we'd just sign a player or two because our fans seem to be stuck in the bad mood Mellon projected at the back end of the season. 

I expect plenty of movement in the next couple of weeks, can't we at least try to be a little more optimistic given we haven't a clue whose about to be brought in.

Maybe something happening on Monday as the rugby have moved an event from the OEC.