Transfer Rumours 24/25

6 hours ago, Boyyou said:

I  can think of another four we have 'definitely ' agreed terms with but will keep them to myself.

Anyone could say what you have just posted - keep them to yourself? Oh yeah.

Is that because you have no idea? 

Wrexham fans didn’t have a problem with him - was brought in as backup in case Mullin was injured, decent work rate, but needs to be used in the right system. 

https://www.redpassion.co.uk/threads/what-exactly-was-wrong-with-billy-waters.123780/

Yes, he’s not exactly a thrilling prospect, but he has a mostly decent track record scoring at NL and L2 level. Feels a bit like damning him before he’s even signed or set foot.

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Anyone could say what you have just posted - keep them to yourself? Oh yeah.

Is that because you have no idea? 

It was tongue in cheek, replying to an earlier post suggesting they knew of 5 players who had agreed contracts without offering up a name or a shred of evidence. 

And yes, I  have no idea. Nor, it seems, do any of us on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we define a 'marquee signing' as, say, a player who comes from a higher division, who we think has the capacity to remain at that higher level and who we reasonably think is getting a wage which is at the top level for us then I suppose Norwood and Raglan probably fall into that category from last summer. Neither really delivered at the level that may have been hoped for I don't think and presumably took up a chunk of budget.  

Do we really want marquees signings or should the priority be to recruit a solid squad that the manager thinks can form a solid team?  The latter for me so I am prepared to be underwhelmed by individual signings.  Whether the manager has got the right ones only time will tell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If we define a 'marquee signing' as, say, a player who comes from a higher division, who we think has the capacity to remain at that higher level and who we reasonably think is getting a wage which is at the top level for us then I suppose Norwood and Raglan probably fall into that category from last summer. Neither really delivered at the level that may have been hoped for I don't think and presumably took up a chunk of budget.  

Do we really want marquees signings or should the priority be to recruit a solid squad that the manager thinks can form a solid team?  The latter for me so I am prepared to be underwhelmed by individual signings.  Whether the manager has got the right ones only time will tell.

I think we need to get value for money is the important thing. If we pay them 4k a week or 400 quid then we need to make sure they are worth what we are paying them and get a good return on the investment. A marquee signing is one that gets the fans enthused this is important so the odd one is a good thing. But the rest aslong as they deliver a return in performances and enhance us as a team then that will be enough. It's certainly not uncommon for our best signing to be one we don't know much about but comes here and does well.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think we need to get value for money is the important thing. If we pay them 4k a week or 400 quid then we need to make sure they are worth what we are paying them and get a good return on the investment. A marquee signing is one that gets the fans enthused this is important so the odd one is a good thing. But the rest aslong as they deliver a return in performances and enhance us as a team then that will be enough. It's certainly not uncommon for our best signing to be one we don't know much about but comes here and does well.

Sadly an impossibility upfront

Only marquee signing we've made in recent years is Norwood, not sure we will be in for many more although I still think Nowrood has a big part to play if he stays.

Some of those named like Hartigan and Waters would improve us, Stott is an obvious one and he's solid enough at our level, knows the club and is the right age. 

Let's hope we start to see some movement soon, maybe a couple more to go before signings are announced?. When are the players back in?.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Only marquee signing we've made in recent years is Norwood, not sure we will be in for many more although I still think Nowrood has a big part to play if he stays.

Some of those named like Hartigan and Waters would improve us, Stott is an obvious one and he's solid enough at our level, knows the club and is the right age. 

Let's hope we start to see some movement soon, maybe a couple more to go before signings are announced?. When are the players back in?.

Probably next week 

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've liked Stott, strong on the ground and in the air and a good passer of the ball,  just lacked pace, but can now counter that with positional sense experience.

Remember he had a good youth team partnership with Sutton and maybe we can see that happening again.

I've not been convinced with Raglan or Hobson as a DC pairing nor Hogan.

Edited by BP1960

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've liked Stott, strong on the ground and in the air and a good passer of the ball,  just lacked pace, but can now counter that with positional sense experience.

Remember he had a good youth team partnership with Sutton and maybe we can see that happening again.

Agree about Stott but don't recall a partnership with Sutton. Stott is 26 and Sutton 21.

9 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Agree about Stott but don't recall a partnership with Sutton. Stott is 26 and Sutton 21.

My memory must be going I thought I'd seen them play together.😟

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Both Raglan and Hobson are more than capable at NL level. 

Get a decent midfield and some pace and Hobson won't have to hoof it so much.

Defensively both are reasonably sound and with Sutton and Hogan as back up I'd rather spend any available money on wide players and midfielders.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

I’d love one of the 5 to be Hartigan who was on loan at Barnet this season (Mansfield released). Exactly what we need. 

I could see Stott being 1 of them as well. 

Signed for Barnet (Hartigan)