Transfer Rumours 24/25

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Just looking to canvas opinion. Do marquee players have to play with intent?

I go back to 1960 for the marquee signing Bobby Johnstone with 17,000 attending his first game at BP.

He had a major influence on the team and club, not only as a player, but an entertainer.

He didn't dash around the pitch at 100 mph, but there was no laziness about him, he was just a midfield general, spraying wonderful passes.

All players should have intent to do their best if that's what you mean.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 10:49 PM, Charles or Eddie said:

Let's be honest. Mellon is a dead man walking anyway. 

Clear out as much as we can and let him bring in a couple. Then when he gets binned off early on we should hopefully have some powder dry for the new guy

Is he? Why is that? What conceivable reason is there for not backing and sticking with the manager, who not only has the pedigree of promotions at this level, but who in 30 odd games lead us to our highest finish in a league table for 15 years? 

Screenshot-2024-06-25-134558-1-1.png

Chopping and changing managers hasn't worked for us for the past decade. Why don't we try stability for a few seasons? 

• Like 5

On 6/24/2024 at 10:56 AM, yarddog73 said:

Only marquee signing we've made in recent years is Norwood, not sure we will be in for many more although I still think Nowrood has a big part to play if he stays.

Norwood is an outlier though really. We can't expect every season to sign a top League One striker, who was a key player for a team who were a game away from promotion to the Championship.

Signing Hogan, the captain of the team who won the National League was a marquee signing. 

It didn't work out with Dallas, but he too was a marquee (loan) signing too, on paper.

Edited by PlayItLivo

26 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Is he? Why is that? What conceivable reason is there for not backing and sticking with the manager, who not only has the pedigree of promotions at this level, but who in 30 odd games lead us to our highest finish in a league table for 15 years? 

Chopping and changing managers hasn't worked for us for the past decade. Why don't we try stability for a few seasons? 

A bigger achievement than any of his five promotions some might say.

6 minutes ago, Oldham82 said:

Jeff king leaves Chesterfield some of there fans think coming hear, defender , rated by them

Can play on both sides and further up the pitch. Competition for Ogle and Kitching. 

18 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

Can play on both sides and further up the pitch. Competition for Ogle and Kitching. 

Or a Kitching replacement? His dip in form 2nd half of the season was quite alarming. Some say that coincides with what happened with Reid, which if it is the case is an even bigger concern that a professional footballer can be impacted so greatly by the actions/treatment of another individual. 

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Or a Kitching replacement? His dip in form 2nd half of the season was quite alarming. Some say that coincides with what happened with Reid, which if it is the case is an even bigger concern that a professional footballer can be impacted so greatly by the actions/treatment of another individual. 

Kitching is a good player but his form has been poor. Get Reid away from the club and he might go back to being professional. One of Ogle or Kitching injured and we are back to having a CB replacing them. We need a backup for them positions  

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Some say that coincides with what happened with Reid, which if it is the case is an even bigger concern that a professional footballer can be impacted so greatly by the actions/treatment of another individual. 

I can’t believe how much credence this theory tends to get. Utter bollocks, this. Aye, they’re mates. But they’re professionals too, not members of a knitting circle.

Kitching likes wide players who have the engine to go back and cover if he bombs forward. His form dropped off because we had no width. I’m sure he’ll rediscover his mojo once we have players in situ that he can build an understanding with.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

No your right, we were all delighted with the end of the season and he really proved his worth to us.

Mark my words this won't end well. I just hope it ends quickly and we can move onto someone else whose a better fit and we can all get behind

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I can’t believe how much credence this theory tends to get. Utter bollocks, this. Aye, they’re mates. But they’re professionals too, not members of a knitting circle.

Kitching likes wide players who have the engine to go back and cover if he bombs forward. His form dropped off because we had no width. I’m sure he’ll rediscover his mojo once we have players in situ that he can build an understanding with.

Sorry Franky- that’s utter bollocks mate. 

Pre Christmas and the previous season- when he was our most consistent performer, and was many a time our only creative outlet, can you tell me who played left wing who had a had great engine to cover and who he had a great understanding with? That’s right- no one. For a season and half he ran our left side almost single handed. 

His best mate got booted, and suddenly he didn’t want to attack anymore, he didn’t even want to cross the half way line. Sadly his professionalism post Christmas  (judged by his performances) stank, and if you think players don’t down tools or dressing rooms don’t have little cliques that affect performance then that’s naive. 

He had no one for 18 months and was the best left back in the league, his mate got booted and he was a very average player. That’s not being a detective, it’s plain and simple on his performance. 

9 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

No your right, we were all delighted with the end of the season and he really proved his worth to us.

Mark my words this won't end well. I just hope it ends quickly and we can move onto someone else whose a better fit and we can all get behind

Yeah I'm still missing something. So Mellon had a bad run of form and thus he isn't the man for the job? Sacking a manager after a bad run of form is usually because of compounding factors, like previous spells of bad form, or being in threat of relegation.

I don't think a compounding factor has ever been that the manager took over a 1/3 into the season, with someone else's squad, and then got 5 months of playoff form before said bad run

There's no rationale behind judging him off a bad 2 months and ignoring the previous 5. All things considered he did a pretty good job. 

Instead of baying for his blood, maybe we should back the guy with 5 promotions on his C.V, and have some optimism that after a summer transfer business to improve the squad, that we can finish the season with at least a playoff spot.

Edited by PlayItLivo
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

FACT