Transfer Rumours 24/25

23 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Good player but wasn't fit enough last season and won't be fit enough next season. Hope I'm wrong. Doesn't seem to be much of a revamp in midfield!

Quite. 

Be really interesting to see who the fans blame next with Sheron gone. Because it’s the same choices in midfield that everyone said was our biggest weakness. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

So how I'd read into that is that if Wigan do get the opportunity to sign a couple of strikers we have a chance of signing him by the looks of it on loan. If it's going to happen it will happen late in the day.

Let's hope it isn't another Ripley situation where we wait all summer for someone who ends up going elsewhere...

Can’t say I see the point in signing Gardner tbh. He’s a decent to good player and seems a really really good lad, but he’s never fit. Whenever he starts it’s basically a countdown until he goes off. 

If it’s with an eye for a coaching role then maybe, might be a bit harsh from me but I was hoping we had moved on from this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aaronoafc said:

Can’t say I see the point in signing Gardner tbh. He’s a decent to good player and seems a really really good lad, but he’s never fit. Whenever he starts it’s basically a countdown until he goes off. 

If it’s with an eye for a coaching role then maybe, might be a bit harsh from me but I was hoping we had moved on from this.

It’s not harsh it’s bang on. 

He’s 34 and can’t compete for 90 minutes consistently- it’s that simple. Very poor re- signing for me, if anyone was staying it should’ve of been Mikey. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Fits the Mellon profile, over 30.

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Quite. 

Be really interesting to see who the fans blame next with Sheron gone. Because it’s the same choices in midfield that everyone said was our biggest weakness. 

Clearly we will sign one or two more midfielders at least.

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

I thought he did quite well last season for fitness. 18 starts and 25 appearances in total. Much more than some others. Scored four goals too which was a decent return for a midfielder and a far better ratio than Nathan Sheron or Devarn Green.

He was one of the few players to regularly bust a gut in a team that just couldn't be arsed as a collective as the season wore on. He cares, he loves the club and he won't be on a massive amount of wages. I suspect he'll be brought on as a second half sub more often than not.

• Like 1

Started the last 7 games, was on the bench the 8 games preceding so had his longest run without missing a game injured at the end of he season. Damning with faint praise but he was probably our best player in that poor run at the end, he often played in our better performances throughout the season.

Undoubtedly our most skilful midfielder last season but understand the reservations given the fitness record and we weren't very good last year.

31 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I thought he did quite well last season for fitness. 18 starts and 25 appearances in total. Much more than some others. Scored four goals too which was a decent return for a midfielder and a far better ratio than Nathan Sheron or Devarn Green.

He was one of the few players to regularly bust a gut in a team that just couldn't be arsed as a collective as the season wore on. He cares, he loves the club and he won't be on a massive amount of wages. I suspect he'll be brought on as a second half sub more often than not.

Alright Statsbomb- chill out. 

• Like 1

Interesting in his interview he says “ with the players  who are here and those coming in…”. There must be some signings to announce in the next few days

Edited by steveecky
Word change

Looks like we will be hearing of more signings in coming days. I hope there is some youth brought into the team. Marquee signings are well and good but players who want to develop and progress shoud inject desire and enthusiasm to the team.  

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

he seemed to care a lot more and try a lot harder in those final few games… funny that. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

he seemed to care a lot more and try a lot harder in those final few games… funny that. 

Doing him dirty there, one thing you could never accuse him of is not working hard.

Puzzled why it has taken two months to announce - if he was holding out for better elsewhere then that should have been it for us, or we've had to wait to others to go before we could offer anything which clearly doesn't bode well.

Edited by deyres42

34 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Doing him dirty there, one thing you could never accuse him of is not working hard.

Puzzled why it has taken two months to announce - if he was holding out for better elsewhere then that should have been it for us, or we've had to wait to others to go before we could offer anything which clearly doesn't bode well.

At the forum Mellon said there wouldn't be any contract extensions offered until the current deal runs out at the end of June, didn't he?

Wasn't there also talk of the budget being the same? We probably will have to shift players out - as we have done - before bringing players in. That doesn't mean the budget is bad, it just means we've pissed it up the wall previously and need to get rid of what we've overpaid for. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

At the forum Mellon said there wouldn't be any contract extensions offered until the current deal runs out at the end of June, didn't he?

Wasn't there also talk of the budget being the same? We probably will have to shift players out - as we have done - before bringing players in. That doesn't mean the budget is bad, it just means we've pissed it up the wall previously and need to get rid of what we've overpaid for. 

Yep. 👍🏻

All of which has been said by Mellon at different stages. The only one surprised by what’s happening after we were told this is what would happen is eyrsey. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What would be the reason for such a delay though?

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Just my observation. I doubt I’m the only one that saw it that way. 

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What would be the reason for such a delay though?

Had to move players out, holidays, negotiations, Gardner wanted to see what else was about.  Nothing sinister..