Transfer Rumours 24/25

15 minutes ago, ghost of Leonard said:

Lack of signings is becoming concerning with July only days away ...

The squad we have won't go up so it needs strengthening quite strongly ..

Sorry,but if we are serious about promotion signing Gardner isn't the answer.

7 subs next season. Name me one NL club where a fit Gardner wouldn’t get in the matchday 18. Clue, there isn’t one. 

1 hour ago, ghost of Leonard said:

Their is no way on earth we are not signing anymore players, and we will sign midfielders. We've shifted 2 out, 3 if you include Mcgahey who was a mainstay in the middle of the pitch for most of last season. Have faith we will start to see movement and new faces next week.

Don't assume that Mellon thinks Gardner is the answer either he will likely have plenty of other irons in the fire. We will need options next season I don't see Gardner as the main stay but more an option. As a squad player he's as good as you will get at this level.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

7 subs next season. Name me one NL club where a fit Gardner wouldn’t get in the matchday 18. Clue, there isn’t one. 

Sorry but he's injury prone and approaching mid 30s if that's the height of our ambition we're in trouble..

3 minutes ago, ghost of Leonard said:

Sorry but he's injury prone and approaching mid 30s if that's the height of our ambition we're in trouble..

Who said he’s the height of our ambitions? He’d get in any matchday squad of any team in this league and in the starting 11 for the majority. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ghost of Leonard said:

DG is fine i just want new players at the club. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Who said he’s the height of our ambitions? He’d get in any matchday squad of any team in this league and in the starting 11 for the majority. 

When he’s match fit. 

Which isn’t very often.

When he does play he is regularly subbed off to protect him, or because they’re nursing him back. The games where he is at for 90 minutes are very few and far between. Also Mellon wants a squad of just 20 outfield players, I’d prefer it if one of those spots wasn’t taken by someone who can affect the odd game. Or play well for 20 minutes. 

He was about the only one that appeared to give a shit down at Oxford City, end of season.  Looks like we are having problems with recruitment, either not available or wont come. Dan’s a good experience pro and managing his age etc is key, a good squad man.   Need to get real guys, another long season ahead, of course I want us to be up there but it’s going to be a long slog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

There we go..

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/june/27/gardner-signs-new-deal/

Good player.  Good to have around the place.  Might be doing coaching and stuff.  Might be on reduced terms.

Not a bad thing.

Not that anyone is remotely arsed, but for best SEO practice, the Oldham Times should have replaced what was on that ID with some standard copy rather than spiking it.

Anyway, I'm happy with DG. He can actually play and doesn't treat the football like a Chernobyl-grown potato when an old oaf bellows from the main stand.

We need a team to deal with that. Six wins at home are not right, and the shouts from the stands won't go away. We all know Gardner, technically, on his day, is beyond the National League - but sadly, he's made out of rich tea biscuits.

This is why I'm hesitant about rumoured signings such as 'Josh Kay'. One wrong pass and there will be a collective groan louder than any goal cheer he's heard in his career. It's human nature to be affected by this. However, because we have been poor for so long, maybe the tap-to-talk crowd may be slightly more forgiving for a new player who runs a bit harder.

Sadly, though, I am now expecting a wisdom-fuelled statement from one of our more deluded tribesmen two months in after a grizzly home defeat to someone like Maidenhead, echoing the sentiments of Gareth Southgate and saying 'We've struggled to replace Nathan Sheron'.

Edited by GKing521
  • Thanks 1

DG is a good pro who will set standards and contribute both on and off the field next season. That being said, the best ability is availability. I think this signing can only be judged in the context of his wage ( which we have no idea about). If it's a lower wage (likely), it's worth it for the former. If it's higher, the later becomes more of a concern.

In terms of 'main stand' moaning - I think it is vital that we get off to a good start this season. I cannot remember the last time we did! Building some positivity early and not feeling like we are constantly playing catch up, will be vital in building a positive home environment.

In terms of signings - I'm becoming slightly concerned that we have only; resigned a player and signed a player who was a previously scouted player under DU. I'm still massively concerned at the lack of pace in this team (and we are even weaker on this front given the release of Green). I'm sure we will sign players (and maybe already have). I'm sure the next couple of weeks will be enlightening. The players we've managed to move on is a positive so far.

• Like 1

Makes very public comments about overhauling the squad. Brings two of them back before the end of June. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to have as few players as possible who contributed to our finishing 10th in the 5th Division playing next season. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Makes very public comments about overhauling the squad. Brings two of them back before the end of June. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to have as few players as possible who contributed to our finishing 10th in the 5th Division playing next season. 

To be fair, ignoring youth players (but including Couto) he's let 7 out of contract go and moved on three under contract (including Nuttall). So that's 10 out and 2 staying. 

As ever it depends on the context. If they're both on OK terms then they're both squad players who can contribute as and when needed.

That said if Hallam Hope returns then I'm all in for a riot.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Back on very reduced terms 👍