Transfer Rumours 24/25

16 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I don’t dislike Fondop but he’s a very limited player. He’s a walking red card and we could get so much better. 

We best not see Devarn Green walking back through the door. 

Limited in what way?

Scores with head, feet, from range, close up, runs at the opposition and bullies them. I don't see any of our other strikers doing all those things...

• Like 6

Fondop scores goals for us. A lot saying we need better. Probably the same ones who  creamed themselves over signing Dallas last year and that worked out well.  Fondop cares for the badge and will get 10 to 15 goals next season 

• Like 3

Let's see where we end up but fucking hell we are told there'll be a major overhaul, Mellon tells us that we have a group mentally weak that needs help but then proceeds to resign them all, net result is it looks like he will be working with pretty much the same group that took us on our worst winless run in twenty years, am I missing something here?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Let's see where we end up but fucking hell we are told there'll be a major overhaul, Mellon tells us that we have a group mentally weak that needs help but then proceeds to resign them all, net result is it looks like he will be working with pretty much the same group that took us on our worst winless run in twenty years, am I missing something here?

That's not what's happened though is it? We've re-signed 2, got rid of plenty out of contract and even some in contract.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He's resigned two. Two that actually offer something.

The only thing he's done of any concern in the close season so far is make Conlon captain....

4 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

The OS has had a revamp. The team page now lists Mo Doro as a first team player, but not Jesse Williams or Alfie Atherton. 

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/teams

I hope that’s just a timing issue. 

Honestly can't see Atherton signing on given Mellon never gave him a sniff at the back end of last season even when it was apparent we were playing for fuck all. If I were his agent or dad I'd be telling him to move on as it looks like we are going to favour a dads army approach to one of youth, same with Sutton who hasn't played in his natural position for well over a season now in favour of 30 odd year old defenders.

4 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

That's not what's happened though is it? We've re-signed 2, got rid of plenty out of contract and even some in contract.

The ones we've got rid of haven't been involved for a long time, let's not kid ourselves here, we've seen no overhaul just a trimming of the squad with the same 'personalities' from last season, I know there's still time but I'm starting to worry a little given it was this groups charecter that was questioned.

Has that really changed with the signing of Ogle and a couple of others presumably to come?, Gardner and Fondop signing really doesn't bother me but I wouldn't be announcing those before those that the fans really want to see.

2 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Makes very public comments about overhauling the squad. Brings two of them back before the end of June. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to have as few players as possible who contributed to our finishing 10th in the 5th Division playing next season. 

He has overhauled the squad. I don't think anyone who's more than half a braincell can deny that both MF and DG give their all.

Signing an entire new team invites its own problems. Very difficult to get a whole new team gelling from the off. Heaven knows, we've had that volitile strategy for over ten years and we always started off slowly as a consequence. You need some continuity when you're building something or else you're always going to end up back at square one.

If we have an overall goal of winning the division, history tells you those teams that have done just that have done so by steadily refining, building and creating the envorinment. Happened with us in 1990-91 and has happened with every National League winner. You have to give the process time.

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't think you can describe both Fondop nor Gardner as "mentally weak". I also think players such as Lundstram, Hammond and Conlon will continue to improve the more that genuine quality and 100% determined players are added to it.

Honestly, the freaking out going on in this thread (not you, per se @yarddog73). We've literally ditched 80% of the dead wood that was festering at the club and people are virtually throwing in the towel straight away.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The ones we've got rid of haven't been involved for a long time, let's not kid ourselves here

Sheron hasn't been involved? They were all taking up a wage which can be used for a smaller, but far more ecomomic squad. Doesn't matter if they were or were not involved.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

He's resigned two. Two that actually offer something.

The only thing he's done of any concern in the close season so far is make Conlon captain....

I think Conlon will be a big player for us this season. Was bad timing for all concerned last season, he needed time to bed in after basically an entire season out but we needed him to hit the ground running. I'm hoping with a proper pre-season behind him we'll see the player he was at Port Vale

• Like 1