Transfer Rumours 24/25

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

The OS has had a revamp. The team page now lists Mo Doro as a first team player, but not Jesse Williams or Alfie Atherton. 

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/teams

I hope that’s just a timing issue. 

Williams was in the gym today wearing Latics gear so he's probably signing on - we need to get Atherton signed up though!

32 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think Conlon will be a big player for us this season. Was bad timing for all concerned last season, he needed time to bed in after basically an entire season out but we needed him to hit the ground running. I'm hoping with a proper pre-season behind him we'll see the player he was at Port Vale

Let's hope so. We need a completely different version of him to come back next season.

A fully fit Gardner is still our first midfielder on the team-sheet. We need to sign a first choice battling midfielder, a creative midfielder and two pacey wingers...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It can’t be denied that the current activity is a concern. But let’s see what happens, but does seem bizzare. 

Tbf it was explicitly said that there might be a way back for DG, Fondop and Green. I suspect there must have been interest in both Gardener and Fondop, hence they've been signed up early.

FWIW I'd be surprised if Green doesn't get hooked up at NL level. I'm a bit of a broken record on this but we often looked a better team when he played and his pace stretched the game. 

• Like 2

We released 10 and have assuming Fondop has re-signed brought back 2.

3 contracted players have gone out Sheron Shelton and Nuttall and we've brought 1 in in Ogle.

So 11 of last seasons squad (I.e. an entire team) has gone and we are net 10 players down.

I think 3 more will go Reid and Willoughby will both go out on loan can't see anyone taking their contracts on. I also can't see Hogan sticking about I don't envisage him wanting to be a bit part player that's why he left Stockport for us in the first place.

That would leave us Net 13 players down on last seasons squad. Now let's assume the 3 young lads all sign. That would still leave us back to Net 10 players down. Now Let's say we sign 9 players to replace them. 6 permanent 3 on loan. That is a massive overhaul and one that if done properly will transform the squad for the better and probably even reduce the wage bill.

Edited by GlossopLatic
Initial numerical error doh!
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Tbf it was explicitly said that there might be a way back for DG, Fondop and Green. I suspect there must have been interest in both Gardener and Fondop, hence they've been signed up early.

FWIW I'd be surprised if Green doesn't get hooked up at NL level. I'm a bit of a broken record on this but we often looked a better team when he played and his pace stretched the game. 

They haven't been signed early though, it has taken two months...

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They haven't been signed early though, it has taken two months...

They were under contract until 30 June, they have resigned 6 weeks plus before the start of the new season, ahead of pre-season and after the wage bill had been further reduced. Potato/po-ta-ta. 

8 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

They were under contract until 30 June, they have resigned 6 weeks plus before the start of the new season, ahead of pre-season and after the wage bill had been further reduced. Potato/po-ta-ta. 

Someone is telling porkies about the budget then because it can't be the same if we are having to release players to re-sign ones already on the books...

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Someone is telling porkies about the budget then because it can't be the same if we are having to release players to re-sign ones already on the books...

Mellon told us at the end of the season, we have a lot players under contract next season and we don’t have a lot of budget. It will be difficult and I’ll have to wheel and deal. That’s exactly what has happened. 

Much smaller squad. 

Try and offload who we can. 

Don’t offer any out of contract until we know who we have got rid of. 

Only sign a few (new) incomings. 

The summer is going exactly to the clubs plan- a plan they told us about two months ago. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mellon told us at the end of the season, we have a lot players under contract next season and we don’t have a lot of budget. It will be difficult and I’ll have to wheel and deal. That’s exactly what has happened. 

Much smaller squad. 

Try and offload who we can. 

Don’t offer any out of contract until we know who we have got rid of. 

Only sign a few (new) incomings. 

The summer is going exactly to the clubs plan- a plan they told us about two months ago. 

Signing players you already have is wheeling and dealing? These were easy deals to do two months ago, doubt we have just picked up the phone this week to see if they still fancy it...

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Signing players you already have is wheeling and dealing?

Yes. Because you might want to keep them but can’t until other players agree to leave. 

These were easy deals to do two months ago

No, they weren’t. You can’t offer Gardner a deal if Sheron and Shelton won’t move or don’t get offers. 

doubt we have just picked up the phone this week to see if they still fancy it...

Id wager that’s exactly what happened. 

Hi Dan. Nathan and Mark have left, do you want to do a deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yes. Because you might want to keep them but can’t until other players agree to leave. 

No, they weren’t. You can’t offer Gardner a deal if Sheron and Shelton won’t move or don’t get offers. 

Id wager that’s exactly what happened. 

Hi Dan. Nathan and Mark have left, do you want to do a deal. 

Ten players out before we can offer two players over the age of thirty a one year contract each. Not boding well for your man Micky is it...

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Ten players out before we can offer two players over the age of thirty a one year contract each. Not boding well for your man Micky is it...

😂😂😂

Jeez, you’re having another mare here.

It’s actually 20 players out to reduce a very bloated squad, and to work with a smaller squad- all of which has been publicly stated is the plan. 

One new signing. 

Two resigned. 

More new signings on the way. 

And they’re not even back for pre season yet. 

Your unquenchable thirst for him to fail is a real shame. But as long as Davin Dunn stays on the market- you’ll always got that to cling to. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

Jeez, you’re having another mare here.

It’s actually 20 players out to reduce a very bloated squad, and to work with a smaller squad- all of which has been publicly stated is the plan. 

One new signing. 

Two resigned. 

More new signings on the way. 

And they’re not even back for pre season yet. 

Your unquenchable thirst for him to fail is a real shame. But as long as Davin Dunn stays on the market- you’ll always got that to cling to. 

Less players with the same budget? Mick might as well get tattoo no. 6 booked in now...

Signing players you already have is wheeling and dealing? These were easy deals to do two months ago, doubt we have just picked up the phone this week to see if they still fancy it...

Or we weren't sure whether we would be able to offload Shelton/Sheron/Nuttall so needed to do that before being able to resign Gardner and Fondop. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Or we weren't sure whether we would be able to offload Shelton/Sheron/Nuttall so needed to do that before being able to resign Gardner and Fondop. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Where's the funding coming from for the major overhaul then?