Transfer Rumours 24/25

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Where's the funding coming from for the major overhaul then?

All the other players that have left? You're having a proper mare here. Why not wait and see what the squad looks like in a couple of weeks then pass judgement?

• Like 5

Just now, oafc1955 said:

I’m sure by this time next week a lot of the questions will be answered.

Yep, "new signings" need to be something else because at the minute we're no better than last season!

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m sure by this time next week a lot of the questions will be answered.

Yep, "new signings" need to be something else because at the minute we're no better than last season!

What happened then? Message saying wait 3 seconds to post and then it's duplicated!

Edited by mick26

2 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

All the other players that have left? You're having a proper mare here. Why not wait and see what the squad looks like in a couple of weeks then pass judgement?

20 players leaving so you can bring in 5 isn't anyone's idea of a major overhaul, it is just cutting costs. Which is fine. But it doesn't tally with what Darren Royle is quoted as saying.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

We’ve released 20 players, who are being replaced with 6/7 signings. Looks pretty major to me. 

Unless you thought it meant we’ll release 20 and sign 30. 😂😂

Are Fondop and Gardner part of the 6/7? Or extra ones?

41 minutes ago, mick26 said:

I think a right back is a great start to proceedings after the last couple of seasons...

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

20 players leaving so you can bring in 5 isn't anyone's idea of a major overhaul,

It isn’t your idea. . . 

What did you think was going to happen? You can’t blame the club because you’ve made something up in your mind. 

it is just cutting costs. Which is fine. But it doesn't tally with what Darren Royle is quoted as saying.

What was he quoted as saying? 

The last time I read a direct quote it was in the Oldham times about two weeks ago, where he said. ‘Micky wants a smaller squad, with 20 outfield players’ 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It isn’t your idea. . . 

What did you think was going to happen? You can’t blame the club because you’ve made something up in your mind. 

What was he quoted as saying? 

The last time I read a direct quote it was in the Oldham times about two weeks ago, where he said. ‘Micky wants a smaller squad, with 20 outfield players’ 

However, when asked by The Oldham Times whether Mellon would be working with a reduced budget this summer, Royle said: "No. The support financially has been unbelievable from the Rothwell family as owners.

Mike Fondop, Dan Gardner, Harrison McGahey and Devarn Green are all out of contract. The Oldham Times understands the door has not been closed to all of them but the quartet have been told of the uncertainty around recruitment and would be free to look for a new club.

Goalkeeper Magnus Norman, midfielders Nathan Sheron and Mark Shelton and captain Liam Hogan are understood to be among the contracted players who manager Mellon has encouraged to find a new club.

Royle added: "It doesn't necessarily depend on players leaving to bring in.

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The Oldham Times understands the door has not been closed to all of them but the quartet have been told of the uncertainty around recruitment and would be free to look for a new club.

Which is exactly what I said earlier, so you knew that- but still argued it wasn’t difficult. 🙄

Mellon would be working with a reduced budget this summer, Royle said: "No. The support financially has been unbelievable from the Rothwell family as owners.

So. . why are you flapping in June? 

It doesn't necessarily depend on players leaving to bring in.

Doesn’t qualify anything- and leaves enough wiggle room to go either way. 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Which is exactly what I said earlier, so you knew that- but still argued it wasn’t difficult. 🙄

So. . why are you flapping in June? 

Doesn’t qualify anything- and leaves enough wiggle room to go either way. 

You are right, I take it all back, perfectly normal to release players then re-sign them, manager saying one thing and the CEO another also perfectly fine, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You are right, I take it all back, perfectly normal to release players then re-sign them, manager saying one thing and the CEO another also perfectly fine, nothing to see here.

What are you talking about!?  😂

I asked you earlier - What isn’t happening that you expected would happen?

Are you suggesting we should worry?

Are you suggesting the club is lying? 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What are you talking about!?  😂

I asked you earlier - What isn’t happening that you expected would happen?

Are you suggesting we should worry?

Are you suggesting the club is lying? 

Given the manager's now infamous temper tantrum I took a major overhaul to mean signing 8-9 new starters, not re-signing players we already had.

Lying, no, not sure they are singing from the same hymn sheet though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Given the manager's now infamous temper tantrum I took a major overhaul to mean signing 8-9 new starters, not re-signing players we already had.

Ah ok, well what he actually said was- 

It needs a major over haul, but people need to realise we have 19 contracted for next season, and it’s going to be difficult. We’ve kicked the can down the road with a few. But it’s going to difficult over the summer. The board know my thoughts, but we’ve already spent a lot and I’ll have to wheel and deal in the summer. 

I think like you- he would like 8/9 new starters, but as he is saying above. What he wants and what he can do are two different things. 

On the club- I don’t think they’re in disagreement with him. I just think it’s economic reality between what the club can do and what the manager wants. I think they’ll get half way to what he wants- 4/5 new starters. Don’t forget he has chosen now to resign Dan and mikey so you could class them as his signings. In less than a year he’ll have roughly 10 out of circa 24 that are his players. If he can do ok this year, he’ll get his major overhaul next summer. 

They never said they were going to release them. They said their contracts were up. It was deliberately ambiguous, because the club didn't know what finances would be available when the contracts ended at the end of June. Mellon said at the forum that there might be contracts offered if other players were moved on. Players were moved on. Contracts were offered. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by JoeP
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

They never said they were going to release them. They said their contracts were up. It was deliberately ambiguous, because the club didn't know what finances would be available when the contracts ended at the end of June. Mellon said at the forum that there might be contracts offered if other players were moved on. Players were moved on. Contracts were offered. 🤷‍♂️

So when Royle said incomings wouldn't necessarily need to be financed by outgoings?

Latics - 'We need to overhaul the squad. Money is tighter and we'll need to do some wheeling and dealing to get the players under contract out to get people in.'

Fans - 'You'll never get rid of the players under contract. They're shit and on big salaries and nobody will take them.'

Latics - 'Good news! We've released every player out of contract (but may come back in for a couple if circumstances change) got rid of two of the decent earners who never play and we've got a fee for one of the ones you said was shit.'

Fans - 'THIS IS TAKING TOO LONG.'

Edited by jsslatic
Typo
  • Like 11

46 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Gonna be tough this year.

Just read Sutton have so far signed 13 new players and not done yet! By comparison we've signed ONE and resigned two.

‘Quality not Quantity’ said someone once ….

Anyway…

Who we linked with? Anyone heard out? 

I think we need to move on from Stones. I’d rather look elsewhere than piss about for 6 weeks to not even get him. Wigan have said he’s going nowhere. 

Josh Kay seems to be a done deal if twitter is to be trusted. Talk of 3-5 players in next week. 

I’d heard Quigley all summer but I can’t see it now we have resigned Fondop. 

22 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Anyway…

Who we linked with? Anyone heard out? 

I think we need to move on from Stones. I’d rather look elsewhere than piss about for 6 weeks to not even get him. Wigan have said he’s going nowhere. 

Josh Kay seems to be a done deal if twitter is to be trusted. Talk of 3-5 players in next week. 

I’d heard Quigley all summer but I can’t see it now we have resigned Fondop. 

Don't know if there is anything in it but murmours of Callum Whealan returning.