Transfer Rumours 24/25

21 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Anyway…

Who we linked with? Anyone heard out? 

I think we need to move on from Stones. I’d rather look elsewhere than piss about for 6 weeks to not even get him. Wigan have said he’s going nowhere. 

Josh Kay seems to be a done deal if twitter is to be trusted. Talk of 3-5 players in next week. 

I’d heard Quigley all summer but I can’t see it now we have resigned Fondop. 

Josh Kay

This is what Fylde said about him when they signed him last summer it would be the type of player our midfield needs if that is true as we do lack running power I feel.

"With his direct running style and attacking intent, Josh will provide us with another option in forward positions"

Let's see what happens though.

56 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Josh Kay

This is what Fylde said about him when they signed him last summer it would be the type of player our midfield needs if that is true as we do lack running power I feel.

"With his direct running style and attacking intent, Josh will provide us with another option in forward positions"

I'm sick of reading how we need runners, wasn't that what Sheron offered?, he was probably one of the fittest lads in the NL. To me it looks like we are going to make the same mistakes and again will favour running about a lot over actual ability.

When we are going to clubs like Gateshead it's Olley we should be looking at in favour of Ward, similarly if we are gonna pick one from Fylde it's Haughton who makes them tick not Kay, no disrespect to the lad or Ward for that matter but we should be cherry picking the best and not the grafters.

Our forward options are also a worry, if Norwood stays which I suspect he will that leaves us with Norwood, Garner, Fondop with Reid and Willoughby also hanging around, of those the only pace option we have is Reid who is unlikely to feature, unless Atherton is thrown straight in what's actually gonna change from the back end of last season when opposition centrehalfs generally had that group in their pockets.

Talk of Stones is pie in the sky and it's one of those the clubs has churned out to try and bullshit the fans into thinking we are ambitious, not a chance he's signing and if the other option to add to that group is Quigley then we really are fucked.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sick of reading how we need runners, wasn't that what Sheron offered?, he was probably one of the fittest lads in the NL.

He is fit, but isn't quick to press or close down. What we're lacking is a player in the same style of Sheron, but who's a distinct imrpovement and can pass the ball better, particularly forwards. When MM suggests we need 'runners', I expect this is what he means. Fast, quick and direct.

I believe we'd already made a move for Haughton last summer but he decided to stay put.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sick of reading how we need runners, wasn't that what Sheron offered?, he was probably one of the fittest lads in the NL. To me it looks like we are going to make the same mistakes and again will favour running about a lot over actual ability.

When we are going to clubs like Gateshead it's Olley we should be looking at in favour of Ward, similarly if we are gonna pick one from Fylde it's Haughton who makes them tick not Kay, no disrespect to the lad or Ward for that matter but we should be cherry picking the best and not the grafters.

Our forward options are also a worry, if Norwood stays which I suspect he will that leaves us with Norwood, Garner, Fondop with Reid and Willoughby also hanging around, of those the only pace option we have is Reid who is unlikely to feature, unless Atherton is thrown straight in what's actually gonna change from the back end of last season when opposition centrehalfs generally had that group in their pockets.

Talk of Stones is pie in the sky and it's one of those the clubs has churned out to try and bullshit the fans into thinking we are ambitious, not a chance he's signing and if the other option to add to that group is Quigley then we really are fucked.

Yes we need runners you've said their isn't any pace in the team so yes I put the 2 things in the same brackets really we need players who are going to run beyond. If Reid and Willoughby go which I suspect they will then the 3 forwards we have Fondop Norwood and Garner will need a younger more energetic forward alongside them Quigley (from what I know) appears to be more of a target man. All 3 of our forwards can play the role of target to an extent so hed be wrong fit unless one of them went.

Now they need to be complemented by a magic man which we haven't got a Conn-Clarke or a Haughton who can make things happen in the final third. It's not just a case of one or the other we will need both types.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes we need runners you've said their isn't any pace in the team so yes I put the 2 things in the same brackets really we need players who are going to run beyond. If Reid and Willoughby go which I suspect they will then the 3 forwards we have Fondop Norwood and Garner will need a younger more energetic forward alongside them Quigley (from what I know) appears to be more of a target man. All 3 of our forwards can play the role of target to an extent so hed be wrong fit unless one of them went.

Now they need to be complemented by a magic man which we haven't got a Conn-Clarke or a Haughton who can make things happen in the final third. It's not just a case of one or the other we will need both types.

Don't need creative players when your one tactic is boot it long to the forwards.

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't need creative players when your one tactic is boot it long to the forwards.

A lack of creative midfielders is probably the main reason for the ‘tactic’ of players booting it long.

Let’s give MM the benefit of the doubt and hopefully it will be totally different this coming season.

I’m hoping the media team will be run off their arses next week introducing a raft of new players.😆

If things do stay the same and we fail to progress then I have no doubt he will be gone fairly quickly!

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

A lack of creative midfielders is probably the main reason for the ‘tactic’ of players booting it long.

Let’s give MM the benefit of the doubt and hopefully it will be totally different this coming season.

He’s never played expansive football, or played through the lines. At his best He’s known for quick counter attacking direct football. 

I think a lot of fans are kidding themselves if they think new players means new style of play. It won’t. It will just mean we get better at direct football. 

39 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He’s never played expansive football, or played through the lines. At his best He’s known for quick counter attacking direct football. 

I think a lot of fans are kidding themselves if they think new players means new style of play. It won’t. It will just mean we get better at direct football. 

We’ll see

18 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Ten players out before we can offer two players over the age of thirty a one year contract each. Not boding well for your man Micky is it...

You do say some remarkably silly things sometimes. Micky isn’t exactly L1F’s man, seeing that he has regularly criticised him over recent months given our poor finish to the season and the now infamous end of season interview.

You’re basically falling over yourself to have a moan at MM/the club. The sensible thing would be to see how the next few weeks pan out in terms of signings, and then see how pre-season goes. Then when we start the league season with our customary opening game defeat, you can pile in and call for his head on a plate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You do say some remarkably silly things sometimes. Micky isn’t exactly L1F’s man, seeing that he has regularly criticised him over recent months given our poor finish to the season and the now infamous end of season interview.

You’re basically falling over yourself to have a moan at MM/the club. The sensible thing would be to see how the next few weeks pan out in terms of signings, and then see how pre-season goes. Then when we start the league season with our customary opening game defeat, you can pile in and call for his head on a plate.

I say it as I see it and I don't like what I'm seeing.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Basically,  you don’t like what you have made up in your head. 😂

Which is- why haven’t we signed the 8 or 9 starters that no one promised by the end of June!? 

Just out here excited for the major overhaul, hopefully big Dev Green is next to sign on the dotted line.

On 6/29/2024 at 8:36 AM, GlossopLatic said:

Josh Kay

From what I have read about the lad he's also left-footed.

On 6/29/2024 at 10:50 AM, League one forever said:

I keep seeing this- that Mellon has a direct style of play, loves a long ball and isnt adaptable. My take was last season he did what he could to win games with a limited group of players and that he landed on pretty successful hoofball for a period. 

Well ive done some digging- an article in the Athletic says of his time at Dundee that "Mellon has so far played mostly with a back three in a style that could be described as containing a high press, quick counter-attacks and lots of first-time combinations in the final third", another place mentions "Mellon has got Tranmere playing a style of attacking, confident football which the passionate “Super White Army” are lapping up", a Tranmere fan on this very forum says he "Similarly with style of play [...] in the National League we played good football". He has players saying "I’ve played in more direct sides rather than playing out from the back, so I’ve picked it up pretty well and the manager seems to be happy with me" The man himself even says "I want to find a style of play that the fans like, that the players will fight for, so I'll create a team with the right mentality. I've done that before and I expect to do that here as well."

By all accounts he is tactically flexible, happy to throw in young players, have wingers constantly putting balls in the box, a team who's midfield dominates the ball and wants to play attractive football (all things we havent seen so far in his tenure) and has won multiple promotions out of this league doing exactly that so why have sections of the fanbase put him in a box when, in hindsight, he was making do with what he had in the second half of last season?

7 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

I keep seeing this- that Mellon has a direct style of play, loves a long ball and isnt adaptable. My take was last season he did what he could to win games with a limited group of players and that he landed on pretty successful hoofball for a period. 

Well ive done some digging- an article in the Athletic says of his time at Dundee that "Mellon has so far played mostly with a back three in a style that could be described as containing a high press, quick counter-attacks and lots of first-time combinations in the final third", another place mentions "Mellon has got Tranmere playing a style of attacking, confident football which the passionate “Super White Army” are lapping up", a Tranmere fan on this very forum says he "Similarly with style of play [...] in the National League we played good football". He has players saying "I’ve played in more direct sides rather than playing out from the back, so I’ve picked it up pretty well and the manager seems to be happy with me" The man himself even says "I want to find a style of play that the fans like, that the players will fight for, so I'll create a team with the right mentality. I've done that before and I expect to do that here as well."

By all accounts he is tactically flexible, happy to throw in young players, have wingers constantly putting balls in the box, a team who's midfield dominates the ball and wants to play attractive football (all things we havent seen so far in his tenure) and has won multiple promotions out of this league doing exactly that so why have sections of the fanbase put him in a box when, in hindsight, he was making do with what he had in the second half of last season?

Really looking forward to seeing a significant change in playing style with much the same squad that he was making do with last season, bring it on.

7 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

I based my post on posts Ive read from a Tranmere fans who’ve said it was direct but very effective. They counter attacked -got the ball forward quickly and Norwood (who was a lot younger) was an animal up front as well as the other lad who played up top. I’d imagine you don’t win five promotions without changing things, or knowing how. 

But we’ve seen none of that in his tenure with us, no picking young players. (Kofi got one game, and didn’t pick another youth all season) no playing with wingers. (He binned Tollit)  We didn’t dominate midfield. (He was limited here, but 6 signings in Jan and we only signed Conlon to rectify it).  He has changed formations - but it’s not made any difference to the out put. In fact it went worse the more he played around with it. We were doing fairly well with 352 then it got dumped. 

Lastly, the only style I want to see is a winning one. He can do whatever he wants in the set up as long as we win. I defended him when he was winning but people didn’t like the football. I criticised him when he didn’t win. No team is shit who wins most weeks, you need a lot of characteristics to win, and that doesn’t necessarily have to be easy on the eye. Just effective. 

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Really looking forward to seeing a significant change in playing style with much the same squad that he was making do with last season, bring it on.

It’s the 1st of July. 

If we start with this squad- I agree. 

But we won’t- so I don’t.