Transfer Rumours 24/25

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Not saying the man who knows what good looks like is wrong or questioning Unsworths undoubted eye for a player for that matter but I find it particularly strange we keep going in for players who aren't even the best at the club we are buying from in their chosen position, it's a recurring theme.

Real strange way of looking at things. Each to their own though 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Biggest club in the division should be in a position to cherry pick the best of the divisional talent.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Team game. Not as simple as just signing the best individuals.

Last year we tried to sign some of the best players, but look how that turned out. 

Let’s see what happens. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Biggest club in the division should be in a position to cherry pick the best of the divisional talent.

You’re not even trying any more. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So Man U consider themselves the biggest club in the world. Are they cherry picking the rest of the football world?

They should be considering they have the highest wage bill. They do have rivals able to compete with them on that front though whereas we really should have free run at it now.

28 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Nothing strange about it, none of the players we've signed have I thought we've done okay there, other than Norwood and for the money we've spent it's been piss poor in my opinion and we should have attracted better.

Conn-Clarke for instance was the standout when we played Alty two seasons ago, he was free to move last summer yet we couldn't tempt him and instead went in for Lundstrum who so far has disappointed, similarly I don't see the sense in signing Uchegbulam when Sinclair has moved to York on a free and for me is twice the player, I actually thought Uchegbulam was poor against us so if that was one of his better performances I'm not sure what we are going to get. Haughton over Kay every day of the week and we managed to nab the only Gateshead player from a dynamic free flowing team who can't string a pass together. 

As has been pointed out there may be other factors but we are hardly doing a Wrexham, County or Chesterfield for that matter and mopping up some of the better players available, what I will say is that the balance of the side already looks better so I'm hoping we gel and get off to a good start which I think is crucial particularly at home this season.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Nothing strange about it, none of the players we've signed have I thought we've done okay there, other than Norwood and for the money we've spent it's been piss poor in my opinion and we should have attracted better.

Conn-Clarke for instance was the standout when we played Alty two seasons ago, he was free to move last summer yet we couldn't tempt him and instead went in for Lundstrum who so far has disappointed, similarly I don't see the sense in signing Uchegbulam when Sinclair has moved to York on a free and for me is twice the player, I actually thought Uchegbulam was poor against us so if that was one of his better performances I'm not sure what we are going to get. Haughton over Kay every day of the week and we managed to nab the only Gateshead player from a dynamic free flowing team who can't string a pass together. 

As has been pointed out there may be other factors but we are hardly doing a Wrexham, County or Chesterfield for that matter and mopping up some of the better players available, what I will say is that the balance of the side already looks better so I'm hoping we gel and get off to a good start which I think is crucial particularly at home this season.

Conn Clarke and Haughton might be quality players but neither have been promoted from this league. Do you buy play players who are up and coming in the hope they get you over the line, or do you tried and tested who have been there before or played higher. (In effect meaning they’re better players) 

Off the top of my head. 

Kitch 

Hogan

Monthe

Rags

Charsley

Gardener 

Conlon 

Nors

Garner

Have all either been promoted from this league or played higher. I can understand why we are going for these type of players. 

• Like 1

On the face of it, it's a bit of a baffling one based on opinion from our 6 fingered friends.

But our opinion of Ben Garrity would have been worse and look how he turned out for Port Vale.

Posted (edited)

3 wide players signed does that mean that's it for Green coming backj. No idea how this will go but if he plays against Rochdale I'd definitely consider betting on him to score.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 minute ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

On the face of it, it's a bit of a baffling one based on opinion from our 6 fingered friends.

But our opinion of Ben Garrity would have been worse and look how he turned out for Port Vale.

Very true. 

It would also be nice if a gamble paid off for once and we saw the best of the said player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Does the lack depth in wide areas bother anyone else. 

LB Kitch - Monthe can cover. 
RB Ogle- Sutton can cover.

But if Kay or Jes get injuries we’re back to square pegs in round holes. 

Doro is a pro LB now so l reck that side is covered

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Biggest I assume based on how people watch us, but that doesn't make us the best to go to.

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

Biggest I assume based on how people watch us, but that doesn't make us the best to go to.

We'll have one of, if not the biggest, wage bill in the division. That should allow us to attract the best players in the division.

Are we the only club in England where some fans prefer players who have done well in the same league over players who have played higher. 

Being a top player in the national league, does not in any way compete with a player who has played higher. They’re levels for a reason. 

Imagine getting irked in the championship that you aren’t signing the standout player from the division and instead going for premier league players. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Are we the only club in England where some fans prefer players who have done well in the same league over players who have played higher. 

Being a top player in the national league, does not in any way compete with a player who has played higher. They’re levels for a reason. 

Imagine getting irked in the championship that you aren’t signing the standout player from the division and instead going for premier league players. 😂

None of the ones we have signed have shown that they are levels above though so we aren't getting any benefit.