Transfer Rumours 24/25

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

None of the ones we have signed have shown that they are levels above though so we aren't getting any benefit.

Unfortunately that’s utter nonsense. The very fact they’ve played higher demonstrates they’re levels above.

Conlon is levels above Lundy. 

Norwood is levels above Reid. 

Raglan is levels above Hogan. 

The list goes on and on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Unfortunately that’s utter nonsense. The very fact they’ve played higher demonstrates they’re levels above.

The list goes on and on. 

Nah, that's not right.  They may have been brought in from higher levels, but the team improvement has been negligible.

We barely finished last season in a better position last season with these players than we did the season before without them.

On paper - of course - signing players from divisions above should improve us but....football's not played on paper.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The list goes on and on. 

Lundy...

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:00 AM, Guy Branston Pickle said:

We sign players from clubs in lower divisions "why we signing players from tinpot clubs? 😡"

We sign players from teams who have won this division "well it didn't work when we signed players from Stockport 😡"

We sign players from higher divisions "why we signing L2 rejects 😡"

We don't sign anyone "😡😡"

Bump

• Like 8

On 7/2/2024 at 6:38 PM, mick26 said:

Hope they don't replace him with Hayes from Fleetwood but he's probably too small for MM. Seems to be getting a big side together which isn't the worst way to go in this league.

Cian Hayes signs for Peterborough, undisclosed fee.

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The list goes on and on. 

Not for us they haven't been, unless you've been watching a different Oldham Athletic...

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not for us they haven't been, unless you've been watching a different Oldham Athletic...

I didn’t say they had, I compared them to other players at the club.

Are you saying Raglan, Conlon and Norwood aren’t better footballers than Lundy, Hogan, and Reid???

Also- you could say that about ANY player. If you’re looking at 3 players from the division below the same division and the division above. .  9 times out of 10 you’d sign the player from a higher division because it’s the least risk, and most probable he will kick you on. Every club looking to go up does it. Wrexham, Stockport, etc. What the player goes onto to do is irrelevant. At the time of signing he is the best player. 

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I didn’t say they had, I compared them to other players at the club.

Are you saying Raglan, Conlon and Norwood aren’t better footballers than Lundy, Hogan, and Reid???

Also- you could say that about ANY player. If you’re looking at 3 players from the division below the same division and the division above. .  9 times out of 10 you’d sign the player from a higher division because it’s the least risk, and most probable he will kick you on. Every club looking to go up does it. Wrexham, Stockport, etc. What the player goes onto to do is irrelevant. At the time of signing he is the best player. 

They may have been at one time but they haven't shown that they still are.

And that's the problem, with the odd exception we aren't signing other teams best players, we are getting ones either past their best who are coming for the payday or they are no longer wanted

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Nah, that's not right.  They may have been brought in from higher levels, but the team improvement has been negligible.

We barely finished last season in a better position last season with these players than we did the season before without them.

On paper - of course - signing players from divisions above should improve us but....football's not played on paper.

Go back to last year.

Don't allow Green to get injured. Forgive Reid. Get a R.B. and we'd have have easily made the play offs.  Probably wouldn't have got promotion but but once you get in the playoffs anything can happen. Eg England playing shit but possibly on a roll now.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, but he’s left back isn’t he? 

Was thinking more the wingers. 

We definitely need another winger. We can’t be sticking Gardner out on the left. 

• Like 1

I’m happy with the recruitment. We signed players in problem areas. Two wingers a centre back and a right back.

i see people mentioning players who obviously were standout in this division and asking why we didn’t sign.

Conn Clarke was in the league of Ireland on loan so looking on the face of it unavailable.

Nick Haughton seems like he likes being a big fish in a very small pond.

the league is looking very wide open this year. You dont need much to finish at least in the play offs. I feel we are stronger position going into this than last year 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They may have been at one time but they haven't shown that they still are.

And that's the problem, with the odd exception we aren't signing other teams best players, we are getting ones either past their best who are coming for the payday or they are no longer wanted

We signed Kurt top scorer in NLN. 

We signed Nuttall - Scunthorpes top goal scorer and best player. 

We signed Lundy- player of the season for Alty. 

We signed Norwood - who the fans adorned there and Barnsley wanted to keep but wouldn’t match what we offered.

We’ve tried signing other clubs best players and they haven’t performed either. 

It’s almost like it’s a bit deeper than just sign other clubs best players. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Cian Hayes signs for Peterborough, undisclosed fee.

Peterborough are quite fascinating. They've made fantastic profits from investing in promising young players and selling them on. Fantastic business model YET despite all their wheeling  they've achieved very little success unlike us who were founder members of the premiership. Having said that they've  been able to avoid dropping to where we dropped to. That said I wouldn't swop their history for ours. Our time will come again hopefully starting next year. We will enjoy better times and our new signings look promising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

With regards to our transfer business over the last 12 to 18 month I find it weird we've gone to a number of clubs and picked up players no better than average when the majority have alternatives playing in the same positions many of us would rather take, I'll give examples;

Lundstrum who played with Conn-Clarke

Ward who played with Olley

Kay who played alongside Haughton

Latest we are linked with is Uchegbulam who played alongside Sinclair.

It's like we send scouts out to games and they can't even spot the obvious, we are shopping in Pound Bakery when we should be buying from Greggs, I'd guarantee if we had the latter of the four examples I've mentioned we'd be up by February.

Something to note...Kay plays wide. Haughton plays behind the striker. 

Completely different players. Haughton is technically very good and can strike a ball, no doubt. Greedy bugger from the times I've seen him yet showed last season that he knows where the goal is by shooting from everywhere and anywhere. Haha 

With all his ability, which I don't contest, why has he been dossing about in the NL and NLNorth for the last 9 years. Something is off with him. He does look a bit chubby from when I've seen him, so maybe he's lazy and not a team player (bit of a luxury player?)

I did a little digging on Nick Haughton. (All from transfermarkt.com)

He last appeared in the FL in 2015 in League One. 

Has spent the last 9, coming on 10 seasons in the National League and National League North. He has made 142 career apps in the NLNorth and 109 in the NL.

Prior to his 18 goals in 43 games last season, he had 4 goals in 66 games in the National League. Which was very surprising!!

Kay made his pro debut in the Championship and has since won promotion out of the very league we are in and appeared in the NL team of the season that year. He has 108 appearances in League 2 under his belt from the last 3 out of 4 seasons he played for Barrow. The 4th season was his year with Fylde

Kay knows what it takes to get out of this league and has played at LG2 very recently.  Acquiring players that fit that remit to get us to that goal ASAP is very shrewd business in my eyes.

Keeping the faith over here and being positive

In Micky we trust 

Edited by ncowl
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Peterborough are quite fascinating. They've made fantastic profits from investing in promising young players and selling them on. Fantastic business model YET despite all their wheeling  they've achieved very little success unlike us who were founder members of the premiership. Having said that they've  been able to avoid dropping to where we dropped to. That said I wouldn't swop their history for ours. Our time will come again hopefully starting next year. We will enjoy better times and our new signings look promising.

Peterborough have had three or possibly four promotions since their chairman took over around 20 years ago. They've redeveloped large parts of their ground and are geared for the Championship. They spend heavily on recruitment and nearly always get a solid return on their investments. When you say 'very little success', it's an interesting definition.

As it stands, we're a decade away if not two emulating them.

• Like 2

Would have to disagree on the ground . If they would have kept their championship status there was talk of a new ground from their silver tongued chairman. Yes they have had four promotions in the last twenty years which sounds good . But not so good when you take into account the four relegations which quickly followed each promotion. If we get on a roll I am pretty sure we would match them in less than a decade. I think the chairman has done his time there and is looking to recoup money on wheeling and dealing .

7 hours ago, ncowl said:

Something to note...Kay plays wide. Haughton plays behind the striker. 

Completely different players. Haughton is technically very good and can strike a ball, no doubt. Greedy bugger from the times I've seen him yet showed last season that he knows where the goal is by shooting from everywhere and anywhere. Haha 

With all his ability, which I don't contest, why has he been dossing about in the NL and NLNorth for the last 9 years. Something is off with him. He does look a bit chubby from when I've seen him, so maybe he's lazy and not a team player (bit of a luxury player?)

I did a little digging on Nick Haughton. (All from transfermarkt.com)

He last appeared in the FL in 2015 in League One. 

Has spent the last 9, coming on 10 seasons in the National League and National League North. He has made 142 career apps in the NLNorth and 109 in the NL.

Prior to his 18 goals in 43 games last season, he had 4 goals in 66 games in the National League. Which was very surprising!!

Kay made his pro debut in the Championship and has since won promotion out of the very league we are in and appeared in the NL team of the season that year. He has 108 appearances in League 2 under his belt from the last 3 out of 4 seasons he played for Barrow. The 4th season was his year with Fylde

Kay knows what it takes to get out of this league and has played at LG2 very recently.  Acquiring players that fit that remit to get us to that goal ASAP is very shrewd business in my eyes.

Keeping the faith over here and being positive

In Micky we trust 

Welcome to the forum Josh 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Welcome to the forum Josh 🙂

I'm just an old guy stood in front of a forum asking people for positivity on all the new signings. Just give em a chance. At least until after the Stockport game next weekend!!!! 😂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ncowl said:

I'm just an old guy stood in front of a forum asking people for positivity on all the new signings. Just give em a chance. At least until after the Stockport game next weekend!!!! 😂

I'm quietly positive as I think we have the right balance to the team now which I think will make a huge difference.

You make some fair points particularly with regards to Nick Haughton who isn't a model pro but generally puts it in on a Saturday afternoon, he's probably not a Mellon/Brabin player as they don't like to carry any passengers and I get that, but I rate him for what he brings in the final third, I'm sure Josh will bring plenty to the table and I'm looking forward to seeing how all the new signings settle in.

Rumour has it we are still in for a couple more and if that's the case then I'd be content with the business we've done - particularly if the other two are Stones and Kanu 😂, it will be interesting to see how the group gel but I'm hopeful given the league appears to be wide open this season.

I also won't be judging them off the Stockport game, I'll leave it till the first game of the season as I did last year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ncowl said:

I agree but overall the mood has picked up on this forum in the last week or 2. We are going to see a different team to the one that finished last season 12 have gone 5 have come in and with a few more to come that myth that we will have the same team as last year will be dispelled. So I wouldn't say it's that negative overall.

I won't read to much into what we do in pre season but a few more signings plus a few positive results and hopefully in just over a month we will be going into the new season feeling bullish. 

It's still very hard to call where I think we will finish at the moment. Not sure their will be a standout team like the last few years so it might be a wide open division this year. But give it another month and we might know a little more as to how strong this squad will actually be.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I also won't be judging them off the Stockport game, I'll leave it till the first game of the season as I did last year.

Yep, that's entirely reasonable.........

• Like 2

The signings look decent, but it's OK to have a bit of cynicism.

Of course it's great when we sign players from divisions above (we're lucky that we can afford it) but in terms of "upgrading" the team - some of the players we've brought in with so much promise have barely performed better than the side Shez put out in the first few games in this division.  Conlon for example has - putting it politely - got a lot of room for improvement since he's come here.  Lundstram was from our division, but has also under performed.

I don't know if there's some short memories knocking about, but our recruitment strategy since Frank et al has come in has been roundly criticised.  Have we learnt our lesson?  We're not going to know until we kick-off the season but there does seem to be a bit of a familiar theme to the signings.

What players have done at other clubs is completely irrelevant to us if they can't do it here. The difference is hopefully we've got the right manager in place who "knows what good looks like" and he's brought in the right personalities to build a team, rather than just good individuals.