Transfer Rumours 24/25

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Josh Stones not in the Wigan squad at Fylde today. 

No Matt Smith in the Salford squad either 

Injured or on their way here I wonder? 

We can but hope .

35 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Thanks for the link but the bastards at O.T won't let you read the full article without sub scribing to them.

Just read the official site and interviews . No offence to Suzanne but all she does is regurgitate the info from there and create click bait.  Think Micky referred to it as lazy journalism.

Edited by penrhyn
typo

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Josh Stones not in the Wigan squad at Fylde today. 

No Matt Smith in the Salford squad either 

Injured or on their way here I wonder? 

Matt Smith left Salford after last game of season v Harrogate 

Despite noises of bare minimum improvements on the pitch for the biggest budget the National League has ever seen (barring Hollywood Dragons FC)... there still, regrettably is a sense of feeling that once again for the umpteenth season in a row, we will be entering it hamstrung in certain positions.

Are we really that *fucked* for money that we can't have a stopgap for Fondop (who I rate as a 10-minute battering ram). If Garner hasn't even had a run since we finished the season, then we won't see him until 2025.

As for Norwood. I feel he should be handed a proper Abdallah banishment.

How dare a player that had their greatest football achievement by walking up the steps at Wembley to collect a loser's medal for a playoff match in the third division, believe he is bigger than the club. 

Edited by GKing521

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Fondop yesterday 😂. The chances he missed was a joke. 

When you think that he’s 30, it’s not as if you could improve him. What you see is what you get and he’s an impact player at best. He shouldn’t be starting games and the fact that he is tells us all we need to know about how MM rates the abilities of Willoughby & Reid and I tend to agree with him!

Even though Norwood was injured at the time I thought the signing of Garner was totally unnecessary and now we’re stuck with him…..I would try to offload him too if we can get him fit.

We need Norwood back asap and Stones or a n other to partner him!

• Like 2

Guest O.A.F.C.
8 hours ago, GKing521 said:

As for Norwood. I feel he should be handed a proper Abdallah banishment.

How dare a player that had their greatest football achievement by walking up the steps at Wembley to collect a loser's medal for a playoff match in the third division, believe he is bigger than the club. 

Didn't he score the winning goal for Tranmere to win at Wembley?

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

When you think that he’s 30, it’s not as if you could improve him. What you see is what you get and he’s an impact player at best. He shouldn’t be starting games and the fact that he is tells us all we need to know about how MM rates the abilities of Willoughby & Reid and I tend to agree with him!

Even though Norwood was injured at the time I thought the signing of Garner was totally unnecessary and now we’re stuck with him…..I would try to offload him too if we can get him fit.

We need Norwood back asap and Stones or a n other to partner him!

We have gone from looking strong upfront to having some serious issues. We arnt going to score many with the current striker situation that is for sure. 

Reid came on and hardly touched the ball. Kurt seems to be pushed into a 10 role and he’s pretty naff anyhow. 

Garner and Norwood won’t be fit for a while and will be seriously behind all the other players. So we need a couple more imo. Hopefully Reid and Kurt can be shifted on asap. 

Garner signing still baffling given his age. 

11 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Just read the official site and interviews . No offence to Suzanne but all she does is regurgitate the info from there and create click bait.  Think Micky referred to it as lazy journalism.

It's a bit unfair to suggest that's all she does. She's a decent journalist and being one that is independent from the club, can (and does) ask pertinent, non-banal questions which Alan won't get away with. Yeah some articles are padded fluff pieces sewn together from social media titbits but that's just to create content in the leaner periods.

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He was a central goal threat when Norwood was injured and played crucial roles in the wins at Maidenhead and Eastleigh. I'm OK with him as one of the team of four, personally.

When you're in the fifth tier, you have to take more gambles on players like that coming good. The jury's still out on whether he fits us, but I wouldn't describe his signing as totally unneccessary. With Reid frozen out, Nuttall and Willoughby out on loan (or soon to be) and Stones injured for the rest of the season then it was completely neccessary at the time. Norwood was injured a week or two after he arrived but I think the club knew he was carrying a hamstring strain and was likely to be out for a period.

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's a bit unfair to suggest that's all she does. She's a decent journalist and being one that is independent from the club, can (and does) ask pertinent, non-banal questions which Alan won't get away with. Yeah some articles are padded fluff pieces sewn together from social media titbits but that's just to create content in the leaner periods.

He was a central goal threat when Norwood was injured and played crucial roles in the wins at Maidenhead and Eastleigh. I'm OK with him as one of the team of four, personally.

When you're in the fifth tier, you have to take more gambles on players like that coming good. The jury's still out on whether he fits us, but I wouldn't describe his signing as totally unneccessary. With Reid frozen out, Nuttall and Willoughby out on loan (or soon to be) and Stones injured for the rest of the season then it was completely neccessary at the time. Norwood was injured a week or two after he arrived but I think the club knew he was carrying a hamstring strain and was likely to be out for a period.

Still no reason to give him a 1 and a half year deal. 

17 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't think that's excessive though. I'm not sure an established L1 level striker would come on a pay-as-you-play sort of arrangement.

MM made a point of saying he wasn’t going to waste Frank’s money unnecessarily.

I should imagine he’ll be on at least 2k a week, that’s £150k over the length of his contract, I’d definitely consider that a waste of money for someone who will soon probably be our 3rd choice striker.

Surely we could have got another loanee striker in to cover for a few weeks.

40 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't think that's excessive though. I'm not sure an established L1 level striker would come on a pay-as-you-play sort of arrangement.

He’s 36/37 years old, which is fine in isolation. 

Maybe not when we already have a 34 years old and a 30 year old. 

25 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

MM made a point of saying he wasn’t going to waste Frank’s money unnecessarily.

I should imagine he’ll be on at least 2k a week, that’s £150k over the length of his contract, I’d definitely consider that a waste of money for someone who will soon probably be our 3rd choice striker.

Surely we could have got another loanee striker in to cover for a few weeks.

My reading of the signing of Garner was that MM was desperate to remind people in the squad what making an effort was. Remember virtually no one was appearing to make efforts to out work opposition, and we were looking terrible. 

• Like 1

That was one of the inherent risks of bringing in Norwood. Suddenly you have a player who is being paid much more then you in the squad, who actually doesn’t do his share of the work “off the ball”. 

Easy for other players to just go “F—k it, why should I work my b——cks off to make up for you when I’m being paid peanuts.”

A lot of us on here love having a quality player about and still want Norwood back in the team.  I personally dislike the bloke and would prefer MM works out how to get rid and replace him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Easy for other players to just go “F—k it, why should I work my b——cks off to make up for you when I’m being paid peanuts.”

Sounds like an easy way to continue being paid peanuts if you ask me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

<Fondop> …shouldn’t be starting games and the fact that he is tells us all we need to know about how MM rates the abilities of Willoughby & Reid and I tend to agree with him!

We have another FOUR friendlies to go, starting with Southport away on Tuesday.

It’s a perfect opportunity to start one (or even both) of Reid and Willoughby. 

I think that, given the uncertainty that is hanging over Norwood, Mellon has to give Reid & Willoughby a chance.

However… having watched Fondop in the system used by the manager yesterday, I strongly believe that we need to recruit a forward who can play the lone striker role.

That could make all the difference 👍

4 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Quite a few on here were calling for it.

He at least gives a toss but for me he is a walking red card.

It’s not just that though is it, he’s a very poor team player. Everything he does is on impulse, it’s as though he plays in blinkers!

I’ve no doubt he’s a lovely bloke and he’s said he would rather play here than anywhere else but his first touch is shocking, and his overall awareness on field is piss poor, he’s just not a very good footballer.

As people have said he’s constantly having to be coached during games from the dug out and by his teammates.

He’s a good example to others with

his effort and enthusiasm but unfortunately that’s not enough.

At 30 he’s not for changing, what you see is what you get!

Mikey isn’t good enough tactically, technically or disciplined enough to start or play regularly. 

But he is unusual. He’s off the cuff. He’s brilliant at coming on in a stale game and ruffling feathers and making something happen. For that alone he was only the player from last season worth a deal as a squad player. 

42 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s a good example to others with

his effort and enthusiasm

30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

For that alone he was only the player from last season worth a deal as a squad player. 

I would love him to prove me wrong but for me we need better, maybe he is a 15 minute battering ram against a tiring defence but he surely isn't a main starter.