Transfer Rumours 24/25

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Two who do the exact same job. 

Who, Garner and Norwood? I think in this hypothetical scenario we're losing Norwood...

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Who, Garner and Norwood? I think in this hypothetical scenario we're losing Norwood...

No Smith and Fondop. 

I’m not Norwood biggest fan when it comes to desire, but he’s a top quality player and Garner goes before Norwood in any hypothetical for me. Especially when you have smith to be a presence. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No Smith and Fondop. 

I’m not Norwood biggest fan when it comes to desire, but he’s a top quality player and Garner goes before Norwood in any hypothetical for me. Especially when you have smith to be a presence. 

Yes, you're probably right about Norwood.

I don't think Fondop and Smith are that similar.  Smith is someone to stick it in the mixer for to win headers.  Fondop's a bit more of a battering ram and a runner.  They're both similar in that they're target men, but I don't think we can have too many of those in this league...

17 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

More than happy with Smith.

Not sure there's a need for Smith, Fondop AND Garner though?

I think you'd have to lose Garner.

I'd actually think Smith, Fondop, Norwood and Reid would give us pretty useful options up front...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

Reid has been dreadful pre season in my opinion, if Smith is available it would be a no brainer, second top scorer with 24 in the league above with Paul Mullin, same goals per minute ratio as Macaulay Langstaff the League's top scorer. He would be the player we've been missing and will bring others in to the game as his hold up play is as good as you'll see in the lower leagues, he ain't going to be running the channels but would be a massive signing for us if it happens in my opinion. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brisbaneblue said:

Worked a few Salford games last season and he caused mayhem at set plays and holds ball up very well, would be an excellent signing 

This, i don't know why people think signing Smith = going direct/route one, he's excellent with his back to goal and brings others in to play, which is something we currently lack.

And yeah, if all else is failing he is someone you can ping crosses into 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Reid has been dreadful pre season in my opinion, if Smith is available it would be a no brainer, second top scorer with 24 in the league above with Paul Mullin, same goals per minute ratio as Macaulay Langstaff the League's top scorer. He would be the player we've been missing and will bring others in to the game as his hold up play is as good as you'll see in the lower leagues, he ain't going to be running the channels but would be a massive signing for us if it happens in my opinion. 

Probably needs a bit more time than most to get back into the swing of it as he hasn't player since before Christmas.  Get the player back from before "What-are-we-doing-here-gate" and he'll be an asset.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Tbf to Reid he's in a team with trialists and youth. he is 5th choice though but has some pace. 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Probably needs a bit more time than most to get back into the swing of it as he hasn't player since before Christmas.  Get the player back from before "What-are-we-doing-here-gate" and he'll be an asset.

Maybe but he seems to have lost his sharpness and bulked up too much for me, like you say though he probably needs time to get match fit.

Dont get this love affair with reid hes a 1in 4 with one double figure season in the league . And he is lazy much pefer to keep Garner if above is true . At least he will press.

12 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Smith nailed on to not sign as @BradKnowles1hasnt been right about anything has he ? 

FWIW I think he’d be great at this level and score shed loads 

Nailed on not to sign. 

"About to sign" rumour + excitement/extensive discussion about how player would fit in the team = player won't sign. 

Always...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Smith poses a problem for managers, as well as defenders.

Set up in a low block and you are inviting crosses into the box, where he is a real handful and superb in the air.

Press high and he can help things on for runners - the likes of Kitching, Ogle, Kay, Hammond or AN Other, with turning CBs having to track Smith back into the box.

Saw Salford  a couple of times last season and he asked serious questions of defences.

If we are going to play one up top a fair bit then Smith is a big upgrade on Fondop.

If Reid had any thoughts on his future he'd be trying doubly hard to force his way to get back in the team.

My biggest worry is does he even want to be a footballer? or will he be happy to just sit and collect a wage for the next 12 months posting shit on instagram because he's way down the pecking order here right now and isn't showing much willingness to get back in or even go out on loan. I'm pretty sure he could have fixed himself up this last 7 months with a new club if he wanted too.

Edited by GlossopLatic

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Reid had any thoughts on his future he'd be trying doubly hard to force his way to get back in the team. My biggest worry is does he even want to be a footballer or will he be happy to just sit and collect a wage for the next 12 months because he's way down the pecking order here right now and isn't showing much willingness to get back in or even go out on loan. I'm pretty sure he could have fixed himself up this last 7 months with a new club if he wanted too.

Has he had the service needed to thrive?

Not sure you can show much more willingness than sticking around after a manager has publicly exiled you...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

If he is to sign then we’ll probably need to change how we play fairly pronto.

Firing in crosses is what he thrives on.

Which is what we've done pre season but Fondop has been wasteful as well as frustrating when being asked to link up play, we need better options and Smith would offer that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Smith nailed on to not sign as @BradKnowles1hasnt been right about anything has he ? 

FWIW I think he’d be great at this level and score shed loads 

Are we forgetting Monthe, Charsley Jes and Josh Kay. As seen as being posted on here and Twitter…

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Really torn on Smith. Love him to bits, gave me some of my greatest ever days in 2013. But is a 35 year old target man really what we need alongside Garner and Norwood...?

Can't even bring myself to mention the other bloody idiot...