Transfer Rumours 24/25

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Let's see...

Willoughby was a 'Star' at NLN, and looked well and truly out of his depth at this level.

Yes and at 27 has been around a bit - Rochdale have signed a 22 year old from Maidenhead who was in the NL team of the season and a couple of 19/20 year olds. Can work both ways but they more chance of developing into potential sell on types.

I'd have thought we would utilise the loan market in the next couple of weeks, especially once the season gets underway. The majority of clubs like their players to complete pre-season with them before allowing them to out on loan but once the season starts I think we should be able to get one or two in which will hopefully fill out the squad with a bit more strength in depth. Add Norwood, Garner and Kay to that, we should have at least 16 players more than capable at this level.

On 7/29/2024 at 11:04 PM, BP1960 said:

Ignore that he was substitute most of the time, he's a very good player. 

Is Sam Dalby the tall player you said you had recommended to club recently?

Lyton chapman former oldham junior. Right back. Joined in a couple of Wigan games by mistake as a trialist  and played so well they've given him a contract!

Does B. P know anything? How did we miss this? All this according to Twitter.

Edited by diggleblue
https://x.com/PKendrickWIG/status/1819060062394159266

4 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Lyton chapman former oldham junior. Right back. Joined in a couple of Wigan games by mistake as a trialist  and played so well they've given him a contract!

Llyton, after 2 years being a scholar with us, was offered a further paid year. He was soon deemed not good enough for the first team along with Jake Forshaw, Oliver Kilner, Kofi Moore and Frazer Cookson. There’s no doubt Llyton had potential as he racked up a number of appearances with Chadderton FC, winning man of the match in his first game then going on to win their player of the month in his second month. From January onwards he spent his time training with the first team squad players deemed not good enough, coached by nicky adams. along with the youth previously mentioned, the likes of nuttall, reid, shelton and many more trained in this group. Llyton played the occasional match for our U19s youth team but never particularly stood out from the rest. It is expected that he will be a part of Wigans u21s and not their main team, although, who knows what might happen if he impresses and builds on his potential.

12 hours ago, diggleblue said:

He's not pulled up any plants yet.  If we're going to get al chest-beaty about missing out on a player who has got a contract with an U-21 team it's going to hurt!

Who was the last youth player we released that went on to have any sort of significant career at a higher level?  Can't think of any.

Edited by Dave_Og

10 hours ago, diggleblue said:

It's often the case at every club only 3 youths are taken on so the chances are some may make the grade elswhere, this is why so many emerge from non league to progress back into league football. I'm always on the lookout for these hidden gems. 

I don't recollect Lynton Chapman, but there's an 18yo left back released by Stockport Freddie Walker at Stalybridge on a dual registration with Droylsden who is definitely one I'd have retained as he's so much ability to work on and IMO could well be back in the EFL before too long. 

57 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hogan has turned down a move to another NL team. Think it was a loan move...

Probably thinking he's only one injury/suspension away from getting back into the first team. Maybe he wants to make sure he's on the scene when Mellon gets sacked after we lose the first six (tongue firmly inserted in cheek), potential caretaker manager?

I don't mind him being around the squad, he's a very good professional and example to younger players, will demand high standards in training.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

It's often the case at every club only 3 youths are taken on so the chances are some may make the grade elswhere, this is why so many emerge from non league to progress back into league football. I'm always on the lookout for these hidden gems. 

I don't recollect Lynton Chapman, but there's an 18yo left back released by Stockport Freddie Walker at Stalybridge on a dual registration with Droylsden who is definitely one I'd have retained as he's so much ability to work on and IMO could well be back in the EFL before too long. 

He was taken on, summer 2023. Farmed out on loan for the season, released this summer.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Merely speculating- but I think it’s pride thing with Hogan. Former captain etc. He wouldn’t lose any money with a loan move. 

Could be location tbf depending on the team he's turned down. Can't imagine him wanting to shift the family too far at this stage of his career, especially for a loan move.

Hogan is an important one to shift on. Not just because he can’t pass out from the back and looks like he has an error in him every game. But because he is no longer captain and it must be a slightly strange dynamic for Conlon still having him around the place. 

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hogan is an important one to shift on. Not just because he can’t pass out from the back and looks like he has an error in him every game. But because he is no longer captain and it must be a slightly strange dynamic for Conlon still having him around the place. 

Hogan’s form dropped away alarmingly last season - he must know that too 🥺

Huge mistake by someone allowing him to trigger another year, from a business point of view as well as the fact Mellon clearly doesn't fancy him as either a first choice player or as a captain, he's more than entitled to pick his salary up this season but his opportunities are going to be very limited, I certainly wouldn't want him to come in to the team at the expense of bringing youth through.