Pete Wild gone from Barrow

• parigby changed the title to Pete Wild gone from Barrow

Certainly would not be sacking Mellon for Wild. 

Wild reminds me of Lee Johnson will end up going up the leagues without winning anything.

Barrow bottled those play offs last year with a large budget. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Certainly would not be sacking Mellon for Wild. 

Wild reminds me of Lee Johnson will end up going up the leagues without winning anything.

Barrow bottled those play offs last year with a large budget. 

Said the same last year lovely fella Oldham through and through. But until he wins something or finishes a project not for us. He needs to lose the nearly man tag. Still expect to get a decent job though.

Guest O.A.F.C.

Give Mellon 10 games into next season. If it's clear the shower of shite of this season has continued, sack him and bring PW in.

44 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

We seem to think we have an endless pot of cash to keep sacking managers…. 

We also seem to think that decades of changing manager every 6 months and winning fuck all is what we should carry on doing. Its about time we stuck with a manager and actually gave them a chance to build something. If it takes another 12 months then so be it. I know after donkeys years of winning nothing people are desperate to see success, so what does it matter if we have to give a manager time to achieve it

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Sentiment again. We just don't learn.

Let's have a closer look at Wild. Achieved a fine result at Fulham, and decent league form around it. But he finished the season in bang average form and felt he couldn't work under a crank regime, for which no-one could blame him.

Since then he's been a serial play-off flunker. Lost twice in three seasons at the play-off stage for Halifax. Not only that, lost to lower division opposition in cup competitions three times. Then decided to jump ship to Barrow a division above.

Prone to dramatic swings of poor and good form spells. Five losses on the bounce here, four wins in six there. Finished two places and twelve points outside the playoffs in his first season with one of those bad runs of form (4 straight defeats and a draw) largely to blame for bottling a place in the playoffs. Last season - his second - Barrow spent a large majority of the season occupying a play-off spot, thanks to a familiar trend of seven straight wins early in the season (or extended to eight wins in nine). Failed to win a single match from end of March as yet again another poor run of form saw the play-offs bottled. Again. Oh, and just like at Halifax, dumped out of the FA Cup to opposition two divisions below.

So in summary, he has purple patches regularly, but equally as prone to slumps in form. He normally finishes season's poorly (ring any bells?) and he's had five meaningful attempts at the play offs. Getting in them twice (and losing) and then bottling great opportunities three times. Also lost four times to lower league opposition in five seasons, so great, lets have another Hendon embarrassment again!

I like Pete, he's a proper Oldhamer and loves the club. But reviewing what he's done since he was with us isn't convincing me he's the right man to sack a serial promotion winner for lads. Time to get behind MM rather than looking for reasons to sack him.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Trying to downgrade the jobs Wild has done as a way of bigging up Mellon is really poor form.

One man is heading for L1, the other will never even be considered in those circles again.

In what way is he being downgraded? He's proved nothing yet and had five bites of the cherry to. He's another Lee Johnston in my book, so far.

Like has been mentioned, until he achieves something, he's always going to be a nearly man.

You might want to temper that anti-MM stance you have. It's not entirely unreasonable that with decks largely (not entirely) cleared, we'll be a different beast next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

We also seem to think that decades of changing manager every 6 months and winning fuck all is what we should carry on doing. Its about time we stuck with a manager and actually gave them a chance to build something. If it takes another 12 months then so be it. I know after donkeys years of winning nothing people are desperate to see success, so what does it matter if we have to give a manager time to achieve it

Abit radical that isn't it?

21 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

In what way is he being downgraded? He's proved nothing yet and had five bites of the cherry to. He's another Lee Johnston in my book, so far.

Like has been mentioned, until he achieves something, he's always going to be a nearly man.

You might want to temper that anti-MM stance you have. It's not entirely unreasonable that with decks largely (not entirely) cleared, we'll be a different beast next season.

Well you've basically reduced the guys career to streaks and essentially labelled him as a bottler (such a lazy trope)

Your serial promotion winner managed to finish behind a team who were deducted ten points so forgive me for not being overly enthusiastic regarding our prospects under him.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Well you've basically reduced the guys career to streaks and essentially labelled him as a bottler (such a lazy trope)

Your serial promotion winner managed to finish behind a team who were deducted ten points so forgive me for not being overly enthusiastic regarding our prospects under him.

Not asking for enthusiasm. Just an open mind may do. 

Wild has had five seasons and the benefit of time - and more importantly patience - to see how his career pans out. MM has had eight months and you've made your mind up about him. Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but there's a bit of hypocrasy on your part if you're willing to give Wild more time to see him 'head to L1' when he's proved nothing at two levels below that, yet you continually lambast MM because he wasn't able to turn round a dysfunctional, poorly recruited team with only one mid-season transfer window. Let's be honest, you've had your knives out from the word go, haven't you?

I'm not for one minute suggesting Wild won't go on to craft a reputation of success. But I don't think he has many more bites of the cherry before he's down at NL North level with someone like Curzon Ashton. It may even benefit him to take up a coaching role at the club to glean some more experience from 5pm?

• Like 2