Pete Wild gone from Barrow

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not asking for enthusiasm. Just an open mind may do. 

Wild has had five seasons and the benefit of time - and more importantly patience - to see how his career pans out. MM has had eight months and you've made your mind up about him. Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but there's a bit of hypocrasy on your part if you're willing to give Wild more time to see him 'head to L1' when he's proved nothing at two levels below that, yet you continually lambast MM because he wasn't able to turn round a dysfunctional, poorly recruited team with only one mid-season transfer window. Let's be honest, you've had your knives out from the word go, haven't you?

I'm not for one minute suggesting Wild won't go on to craft a reputation of success. But I don't think he has many more bites of the cherry before he's down at NL North level with someone like Curzon Ashton. It may even benefit him to take up a coaching role at the club to glean some more experience from 5pm?

I'm sure you would agree that success is relative. Putting Halifax into the playoffs and lifting Barrow from near relegation to near playoffs seem like jobs well done to me.

I assume your last line is an attempt at humour.

Guest O.A.F.C.

Whilst Mellon is at the club I have no enthusiasm for next season.  Mellon will carry on blaming the fans for his poor home record and also isolating players he falls out with. I've no confidence in him.  

Can we stop saying Mellon is " blaming" the fans unless I have missed an interview.

I thought he said that opposition managers point it out as a weakness of our team. This is true.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Whilst Mellon is at the club I have no enthusiasm for next season.  Mellon will carry on blaming the fans for his poor home record and also isolating players he falls out with. I've no confidence in him.  

When did he blame the fans for the home record? 
I was at the fans forum, so don’t bother saying it was there! 

Guest O.A.F.C.
2 hours ago, Only Blue said:

Can we stop saying Mellon is " blaming" the fans unless I have missed an interview.

I thought he said that opposition managers point it out as a weakness of our team. This is true.

The fans react to what they see. 

Guest O.A.F.C.
2 hours ago, daniel said:

When did he blame the fans for the home record? 
I was at the fans forum, so don’t bother saying it was there! 

He was moaning about the negative atmosphere.  It's like me selling a load of shite on Amazon then being upset that I was only getting 1 star reviews 

4 hours ago, Only Blue said:

Is it not the same thing?

I must admit to thinking the comments were strange.  Surely the fans are responding to a poor first 20 mins if they get on the teams back.  So logic would suggest the fans are not to blame for an ALREADY poor performance.

If MM is suggesting our team gets even worse after 20 minutes when the fans change from supportive to calling them out, then that’s something he needs to take up with the team, surely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Is it not the same thing?

No and I am surprised people think it is.

The blame lies with the players inability to deal with any negativity or to deal with anything really.

Opposition know this and exploit it and have exploited it well all season at home

Guest O.A.F.C.
4 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

The blame lies with the players inability to deal with any negativity or to deal with anything really.

Opposition know this and exploit it and have exploited it well all season at home

I'd say the blame lies with Mellon.  It's his job to protect his players and accept responsibility, something he seems to rarely do.

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I'd say the blame lies with Mellon.  It's his job to protect his players and accept responsibility, something he seems to rarely do.

That's a whole new debate but this was set off by saying Mellon blamed the fans which was not the case at all.

You can interpret what he said differently but you can't actually say he blames the fans.

35 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Well we need to get players on board who can deal with the grumblings, then...

It was definitely an appeal for fans to change their behaviour - otherwise he wouldn't have said it.  He's blaming the fans for giving the opposition a tool to use.

In reality, is it the fans or the players fault?  Not sure, but it's been discussed to the nth degree on the "Forum" thread, so I'll say no more about it on a thread about Pete Wild...

10 hours ago, adamoafc said:

We seem to think we have an endless pot of cash to keep sacking managers…. 

Now, if we'd done the right thing in the first place 😏

It wouldn't of needed doing and same applies to the recruitment of the correct

(Younger) players that might of given us far more energy and drive, in order to have any chance of getting out of this league.

Won't happen ofcourse 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pidge said:

I must admit to thinking the comments were strange.  Surely the fans are responding to a poor first 20 mins if they get on the teams back.  So logic would suggest the fans are not to blame for an ALREADY poor performance.

If MM is suggesting our team gets even worse after 20 minutes when the fans change from supportive to calling them out, then that’s something he needs to take up with the team, surely.

It wasn't strange at all plenty of previous managers have said it at this club and plenty of managers will say it at other clubs too. It was merely a polite request to get the fans onside he wasn't blaming the fans at all the person who said that has made it up. 

As I've said on the other thread it's abit of give and take the players who sign for us have to understand that their is an expectation for this club from the fans that we should be challenging for promotion, we have to do significantly better at home than we did last season.

However as fans we literally have one job get behind the team, in tight games that could well make the difference interms of getting us over the line for a win. We are the biggest club in the division and potentially have the biggest 12th man now how do we want to use it?

If we are challenging at the top next season teams will come here and get men behind the ball, it might take time for us to break those teams down that will take patience. So don't be surprised if we get some difficult games that is going to happen and its going to require patience in games, we stick behind the team for 90 minutes then we might just turn a 0-0 into a 1-0 win.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

The confusing aspect for me is how he says he knew in the first game we were in trouble but then goes on to say teams know how to get at us by 'keeping us quiet', I'm not saying the groans help at times but surely that's a symptom of the same thing both Mellon and the fans are seeing?.

Personally I'm generally sat at home by the time the final whistle blows but I find it strange how some suggest others aren't allowed to boo, I know we have a fair few happy clappers who'll clap them off whatever but equally I'd say the vast majority just react naturally to what they've witnessed in front of them, if a player pulls on the jersey and shits out of tackles or plays with no heart they've got little to complain and shouldn't really be getting all precious if they are pulled up on it. I'm not even talking about character here but having pride in what they do. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It wasn't strange at all plenty of previous managers have said it at this club and plenty of managers will say it at other clubs too. It was merely a polite request to get the fans onside he wasn't blaming the fans at all the person who said that has made it up. 

As I've said on the other thread it's abit of give and take the players who sign for us have to understand that their is an expectation for this club from the fans and challenging for promotion we have to do significantly better at home than we did last season.

However as fans we literally have one job get behind the team, in tight games that could well make the difference interms of getting us over the line for a win. We are the biggest club in the division and potentially have the biggest 12th man now how do we want to use it. 

If we are challenging at the top next season teams will come here and get men behind the ball it might take time for us to break those teams down that will take patience. So don't be surprised if we get some difficult games that is going to happen and its going to require patience in games.

Exactly the point MM was making, Glossop 

2 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I think your getting him mixed up with Unsworth.

Mellon always accepts responsibility and only rarely blames the players. But recently he's had enough and I don't blame him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

The confusing aspect for me is how he says he knew in the first game we were in trouble but then goes on to say teams know how to get at us by 'keeping us quiet', I'm not saying the groans help at times but surely that's a symptom of the same thing both Mellon and the fans are seeing?.

Personally I'm generally sat at home by the time the final whistle blows but I find it strange how some suggest others aren't allowed to boo, I know we have a fair few happy clappers who'll clap them off whatever but equally I'd say the vast majority just react naturally to what they've witnessed in front of them, if a player pulls on the jersey and shits out of tackles or plays with no heart they've got little to complain and shouldn't really be getting all precious if they are pulled up on it. I'm not even talking about character here but having pride in what they do. 

All those little club's took great pride in showing us up for how bad we really were, mainly through their hard work and determination.

We can't accept another season of bad beatings on home soil, something has to give.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

The only way to sort this debate is to blindly whoop and cheer everything we do. No excuses after that.

Or still find fault when the team are playing well (and some fans do)

11 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

All those little club's took great pride in showing us up for how bad we really were, mainly through their hard work and determination.

We can't accept another season of bad beatings on home soil, something has to give.

I honestly don't mind getting beat, it happens in all sports, what boils my piss is when we are beat before we kick a ball or when we just don't leave it out there which happened on numerous occasions last season, we've played the giant killing role for years even when in Leagues 1 and 2 we could raise it against the bigger teams regardless of what team we put out and now we need to find the mentality to match these underdogs, that starts with the basics though and every week for us needs to be a cup final mentality and that's from everyone from the players to the fans.

• Like 1