Pete Wild gone from Barrow

15 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Now, if we'd done the right thing in the first place 😏

It wouldn't of needed doing and same applies to the recruitment of the correct

(Younger) players that might of given us far more energy and drive, in order to have any chance of getting out of this league.

Won't happen ofcourse 

We don't need younger players. We need the right players

8 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We don't need younger players. We need the right players

We've never had either or haven't you noticed?

A load of old crocks, has beens if you want to elaborate, with nowt left in the tank, stuck in their ways like our manager.

B.P has become the new Jurassic world, time to hatch a new breed.

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

A load of old crocks, has beens if you want to elaborate, with nowt left in the tank, stuck in their ways like our manager.

I didn’t think anyone could give @GKing521 a run for his money, but you are showing great potential.

• Like 1

For as long as I remember, an Oldham side performs better as an underdog. Even as far back as the L1 years.

Ive always been more confident going to teams in the playoffs/autos, than playing the fodder at home. 

On 5/27/2024 at 8:24 AM, yarddog73 said:

I honestly don't mind getting beat, it happens in all sports, what boils my piss is when we are beat before we kick a ball or when we just don't leave it out there which happened on numerous occasions last season, we've played the giant killing role for years even when in Leagues 1 and 2 we could raise it against the bigger teams regardless of what team we put out and now we need to find the mentality to match these underdogs, that starts with the basics though and every week for us needs to be a cup final mentality and that's from everyone from the players to the fans.

This is spot on. We need to lose the billy big bollocks mentality, both players and fans. We need players that are proud to play for Oldham and will fight tooth and nail for victory in the division we are in, not think we should roll teams like Wealdstone because, well, we're Oldham and they are Wealdstone.

As a bare minimum we need to be one of the fittest teams in the division. I had high hopes of this after the much vaunted Rhino pre-season but it didn't materialise. We were patently second best when it came to fitness on a number of occasions and it isn't good enough. When we do sign a player with a good engine, like Hammond or Stones, they stick out, they shouldn't stand out for that reason. That's why the much maligned Sheron is important in this group of players. 

Our new signings need to be good athletes as well as good footballers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

As a bare minimum we need to be one of the fittest teams in the division. I had high hopes of this after the much vaunted Rhino pre-season but it didn't materialise. We were patently second best when it came to fitness on a number of occasions and it isn't good enough. When we do sign a player with a good engine, like Hammond or Stones, they stick out, they shouldn't stand out for that reason. That's why the much maligned Sheron is important in this group of players. 

Our new signings need to be good athletes as well as good footballers.

From the Fans Forum:

"MM - The biggest thing I want from players...you need to have to run. Players need to change attitude and work harder"

16 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Completely irrelevant to what I said, but feel free to continue

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

From the Fans Forum:

"MM - The biggest thing I want from players...you need to have to run. Players need to change attitude and work harder"

Tollit can run, but hardly used by MM.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I liked Tollitt, him and Mike were the only attacking threats we had in those dreadful early months in the National League. But he's very weak defensively, difficult to accommodate in any formation really. A shame because if he was more robust defensively he'd be an asset.  

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

From the Fans Forum:

Careful BD. 

Running/grafting isn’t rated on here. 

If you dare mention it- you’re #anoldhamfanlovesarunnerlad. 

Good to see Mellon (with 5 promotions) actually agrees that it’s quite important- I’d also note that the original Runner - Paul Warne has gone to have 4 promotions as a manager. 

It’s almost like running and grafting is important, either that or 9 promotions is just technical players passing it to each other with pin point precision for 90 minutes, and thus negating any need for anybody to run. 

48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Careful BD. 

Running/grafting isn’t rated on here. 

If you dare mention it- you’re #anoldhamfanlovesarunnerlad. 

Good to see Mellon (with 5 promotions) actually agrees that it’s quite important- I’d also note that the original Runner - Paul Warne has gone to have 4 promotions as a manager. 

It’s almost like running and grafting is important, either that or 9 promotions is just technical players passing it to each other with pin point precision for 90 minutes, and thus negating any need for anybody to run. 

Even Manchester City felt they needed a runner like Doku.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Even Manchester City felt they needed a runner like Doku.

I saw Man City at Fulham recently - every single player has a role when out of possession - working hard to close down the opposition quickly and regain the ball. 
A different type of running to the attacking way but vital to their success 👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I saw Man City at Fulham recently - every single player has a role when out of possession - working hard to close down the opposition quickly and regain the ball. 
A different type of running to the attacking way but vital to their success 👍

The effort that City players put in to re-gain possession is second to none and contrasts starkly to the endeavours of the likes of Tollitt and Nuttall.

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The reason several managers weren’t impressed was that he runs forward but ambles back never getting to where he needs to be when they have the ball.  Actually once or twice a half he would bomb back to try to get back in position to make a tackle, then take 10 mins getting his breath back.

The modern game requires you work just as hard to get your shape back once you loose the ball.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You argued with me saying we need the right players. Imagine arguing that point 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I really enjoy discussing the basket case that OAFC has become with the biggest basket case on OWTB

That's the only reason I ever respond to your posts 

9 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'll take that as a compliment because more often than not, he's been on the money

Anyone can be a miserable, glass-half-empty, pub bore on here and get most of it right. But it doesn’t alter the fact that you’re a pub bore.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Anyone can be a miserable, glass-half-empty, pub bore on here and get most of it right. But it doesn’t alter the fact that you’re a pub bore.

Absolutely. Let’s face it, only 2 out of 24 teams will get promoted, so that fact alone illustrates that getting back into L2 won’t be easy. But it takes a colossal amount of pessimism to write off the season before it’s even bloody well begun!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I've said it before 

Alot of what's wrong with me is old age and the only thing wrong with that

Is having to suffer the same garbage season after season, it isn't even close to improvement and you seem to see the glass as overflowing.

Go back to your pub and have a skin full, it might help get you ready for more of the same