5 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Will reserve judgment, got far too carried away with our signings last year, but on the face of it a good signing in a position that needed strengthening.

Absolutely - not getting into any of this squad should be doing this or that- they need to prove it. It’s that simple. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I'm not going to bother trying to judge any individual signing. It's easier to do that if its an individual coming into a settled team, but as we basically need to put together a whole team I'm not going to think about it until I see them play together!

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Good age, described as having pace also good. Long throw will be useful. I'd rather we sign players with something to prove than thirtysomethings that have seen it all before, we have enough of those already. Will also be with the squad from the start of pre-season training, also a positive.

Will reserve judgment, got far too carried away with our signings last year, but on the face of it a good signing in a position that needed strengthening.

Can't remember seeing him so can't make any judgement, but hopefully it's a position covered now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I see pace. I see power. I see a bad ass mother who don’t take no short throws for nobody. 

I hope you said that while looking into a toilet mirror.

Say it again!

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

His stats don't suggest he'll double last year's tally of goals by defenders

They might if he takes penalties after his hair's pulled by opposing goalkeepers from corner kicks.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I've got a 100% record in recommending players to Latics.  Only done it twice, both with Conf South players.  One went on to play in the Premier League and one made it to the Championship.

How did that come about Dave? I'd always assumed it was down to Bob Dowie.

21 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

How did that come about Dave? I'd always assumed it was down to Bob Dowie.

Neither came to us! one was Steve Morison (Norwich, Leeds, Millwall legend).  One was Danny Green (Charlton, Luton, MKD).  At pretty much any level I've never seen anyone take freekicks like DG did.

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Neither came to us! one was Steve Morison (Norwich, Leeds, Millwall legend).  One was Danny Green (Charlton, Luton, MKD).  At pretty much any level I've never seen anyone take freekicks like DG did.

Ah! I just assumed you were talking Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews. Morison was a real warrior of a CF, you may have already read it but if not, Michael Calvi's "The Family" is an excellent read.

6 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Ah! I just assumed you were talking Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews. Morison was a real warrior of a CF, you may have already read it but if not, Michael Calvi's "The Family" is an excellent read.

Legend status at Millwall isn't given away lightly! Morison had injury problems as a youngster at Northampton and was close to dropping out of the playing side of the game but met the Bishop's Stortford manager, Martin Hayes, on an FA course.  He persuaded him to give it a go at the lower level and it went from there. It was obvious during his couple of seasons at Woodside Park that he had the ability to play higher, but I didn't think he'd go all the way to PL.  Getting around a dozen goals for Norwich up there was pretty decent

I've got a 100% record in recommending players to Latics.  Only done it twice, both with Conf South players.  One went on to play in the Premier League and one made it to the Championship.

I've got 0%. Recommended two players via email a fair few years ago. One was a player from Altrincham called Damian Reeves and another was Reece Styche, who scored a few at Forest Green when they were in Conference.

Think Reeves had a well paid job on top of football, but Styche got a move to the Wycombe in the EFL at one point and didn't score a goal...

58 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fair comment. But his long throw could provide an opportunity for the centre backs to score ? 

We should have kept Pidge.

I've still hopes ex Kings Lynn centre back Adam Crowther now at Southend will finish up in the Championship.

Has a lot of Tarky's attributes, but not suggesting the Premiership yet.

I believe I might be getting a call from Latics, so watch this space.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, latics22 said:

So we’re still using stats bomb, if we’re after the same player different managers. 

Chesterfield have signed up to StatsBomb to (paraphrase) significantly boost their recruitment and data analysis  on opposition players and systems 

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've still hopes ex Kings Lynn centre back Adam Crowther now at Southend will finish up in the Championship.

Has a lot of Tarky's attributes, but not suggesting the Premiership yet.

I believe I might be getting a call from Latics, so watch this space.

He has two years of his contract still to run, so he would attract a fee - very good centre back by all accounts 👍

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Id be surprised if Southend let him go?  Especially if he’s highly rated and got two years to run. 

They would to a Championship club.

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He has two years of his contract still to run, so he would attract a fee - very good centre back by all accounts 👍

It was 2 seasons ago I recommended him to Latics when he was in the Conference North with King's Lynn.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Chesterfield have signed up to StatsBomb to (paraphrase) significantly boost their recruitment and data analysis  on opposition players and systems 

I used stats bomb the other day and identified a teenager who cost his club £6 million 2 years ago and he's recently been on loan at two division 1 clubs who played him a handful of games and sent him back. He will probably be released now.

Its useful, but not an exact science and shouldn't be used on old stats. Players need to be seen in recent matches as well.

Edited by BP1960

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Im confused, so why would Latics ring you about him? Thought you meant we were looking at him? 

No, I believe it concerns scouting, not him.

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I used stats bomb the other day and identified a teenager who cost his club £6 million 2 years ago and he's recently been on loan at two division 1 clubs who played him a handful of games and sent him back. He will probably be released now.

Its useful, but not an exact science and shouldn't be used on old stats. Players need to be seen in recent matches as well.

It's used alongside traditional eyes-on scouting, is constantly updated and, by all accounts, is particularly useful for data analyists to run the rule over the opposition- again alongside traditional scouting.

Incidentally, how much is StatsBomb costing you as it is a subscription service?