Anyone else a bit bored.....

We'll be out next Saturday 100%, not a chance we beat Switzerland, I thought Slovakia were over priced at 8's and would have been gutted had I had a bet although I'd have probably laid it off with minutes to play.

Southgate is clueless and we've wasted our best chances of actually winning something having the chump in charge.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

We'll be out next Saturday 100%, not a chance we beat Switzerland, I thought Slovakia were over priced at 8's and would have been gutted had I had a bet although I'd have probably laid it off with minutes to play.

Southgate is clueless and we've wasted our best chances of actually winning something having the chump in charge.

We've wasted nothing. The bulk of our squad are young and have bags of talent. "Clueless" Southgate has transformed our results in international tournaments, but if he doesn't get a win over the line, then the next person in will inherit a young and exciting squad that also has plenty of experience of progressing in tournaments to build on.

I'm frustrated as anyone with the performances but at the same time I'm really excited about our prospects over the next 10 years.

Edited by nzlatic

Can't stand the bloke but if I was the FA I'd give Klopp a blank cheque, ask him to write on it whatever figure it'd take for him to be England Manager and sign it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We've wasted nothing. The bulk of our squad are young and have bags of talent. "Clueless" Southgate has transformed our results in international tournaments, but if he doesn't get a win over the line, then the next person in will inherit a young and exciting squad that also has plenty of experience of progressing in tournaments to build on.

I'm frustrated as anyone with the performances but at the same time I'm really excited about our prospects over the next 10 years.

By all accounts he's revolutionised the FA's infrastructure and got the junior teams right up to U21s playing winning football which can only be good going forward.

I applauded his squad selection, ditching out of form or disinterested players but he's stuck with the "old guard" with regards team selection.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

By all accounts he's revolutionised the FA's infrastructure and got the junior teams right up to U21s playing winning football which can only be good going forward.

I applauded his squad selection, ditching out of form or disinterested players but he's stuck with the "old guard" with regards team selection.

Totally agree.  People really do forget what a shambles we were under previous management despite many of them being conspicuously better coaches/tacticians than Southgate and part of that must have been the lack of joined up thinking.  I can't imagine Capello took much of an interest in anything except the team.  Got to look at the whole picture.  Ideally I'd keep Southgate involved at a strategic level - can't see him getting a job at a top club and can't imagine why he'd want to manage lower down the scale.

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Think a lot of the disappointment stems from the complete lack of attacking intent given the proven quality available to him.

You can argue tournament football is just about winning and ultimately it is but to see them all floundering so badly at the same time is pretty depressing to see and watch.

Ironically we could still win the tournament if we sacked him today as we should do after the way he's set them teams up the last couple of weeks, not going to happen I know but the bloke didn't have a clue last night, a bit of Bellingham magic got him right out of the shit, our first shot on target in 96 minutes, absolutely criminal.

Unbelievably we've took no fit left back in a twenty odd man squad, it's actually baffling particularly to any left footed english left backs plying their trade in the PL to be overlooked for a lad who can't even catch for his club in his favoured rightback position.

• Like 1

I don’t subscribe to the:

‘The England Manager has to be English’ school of thought.

Get the best manager in… and for me that is Guardiola.

Pep is out of contract at City in 2025 - I’d already be reaching out to his representatives with a view to getting him on board.

Stick an interim manager in to keep the seat warm  (maybe even one of Pep’s recommendations who he can then work with going forward).

I’m sure Guardiola would relish the challenge.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Can't stand the bloke but if I was the FA I'd give Klopp a blank cheque, ask him to write on it whatever figure it'd take for him to be England Manager and sign it.

He's everything Southgate isn't and knows how to get the best out of Trent 😄

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Ironically we could still win the tournament if we sacked him today as we should do after the way he's set them teams up the last couple of weeks, not going to happen I know but the bloke didn't have a clue last night, a bit of Bellingham magic got him right out of the shit, our first shot on target in 96 minutes, absolutely criminal.

Unbelievably we've took no fit left back in a twenty odd man squad, it's actually baffling particularly to any left footed english left backs plying their trade in the PL to be overlooked for a lad who can't even catch for his club in his favoured rightback position.

Spot on. 

Or to keep playing the likes Saka who apart from 20 minutes in the first game has offered nothing. 

Or to say we miss Kelvin Phillips when he has Kobe and Wharton in the squad. 

Or to experiment with a right back in midfield when he has Kobe and Wharton. 

Or to play Foden in unnatural position and offer him no balance with a left footer behind him. 

The list goes on and on, 

Having said all that. . we’re through. 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm surprised Liverpool's third choice left back, Gomez, hasn't featured.  The lad at Palace is the only one I can think of and he's been called up once but never again.  Have to assume he's just not fancied; i wouldn't know wany different

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Totally agree.  People really do forget what a shambles we were under previous management despite many of them being conspicuously better coaches/tacticians than Southgate and part of that must have been the lack of joined up thinking.  I can't imagine Capello took much of an interest in anything except the team.  Got to look at the whole picture.  Ideally I'd keep Southgate involved at a strategic level - can't see him getting a job at a top club and can't imagine why he'd want to manage lower down the scale.

This is why I'm with you on wanting an english coach. I think we should as I think major nations should do. But also because one of the benefits of having Southgate is the long term nature of his appointment. To have a foreign club coach come in and do well for a tournament then get a job with Madrid doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Think a lot of the disappointment stems from the complete lack of attacking intent given the proven quality available to him.

You can argue tournament football is just about winning and ultimately it is but to see them all floundering so badly at the same time is pretty depressing to see and watch.

I fully understand the arguments about the style of play, mainly because I share them! Saying that, I know he's more defensive minded than other coaches, but I do also wonder if he looks at our defence and keeper and knows they have the odd brainfart in them, so would rather play more pragmatically than just go for it.

The performances have been poor this tournament but he's developed a winning mentality in the squad, so much so that winning the group and getting to the quarters and beyond is the norm under him rather than the exception as it has been with pretty much every other coach since Alf Ramsay. 

So although I'd much prefer we played better, I'd rather give him credit for those massively improved results, rather than rage about him being clueless and needing sacking now because they haven't been achieved with enough style. And that's not just to be a happy clapper - I'm fucking loving the wins! Last night was a brilliant moment through Bellingham and then the excitement at winning and getting through again. Yeah I'd like more entertainment but for providing fans with some pretty brilliant moments over the last 8 years he's done a pretty good job!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I fully understand the arguments about the style of play, mainly because I share them! Saying that, I know he's more defensive minded than other coaches, but I do also wonder if he looks at our defence and keeper and knows they have the odd brainfart in them, so would rather play more pragmatically than just go for it.

The performances have been poor this tournament but he's developed a winning mentality in the squad, so much so that winning the group and getting to the quarters and beyond is the norm under him rather than the exception as it has been with pretty much every other coach since Alf Ramsay. 

So although I'd much prefer we played better, I'd rather give him credit for those massively improved results, rather than rage about him being clueless and needing sacking now because they haven't been achieved with enough style. And that's not just to be a happy clapper - I'm fucking loving the wins! Last night was a brilliant moment through Bellingham and then the excitement at winning and getting through again. Yeah I'd like more entertainment but for providing fans with some pretty brilliant moments over the last 8 years he's done a pretty good job!

I think one of the points is that there isn't a winning mentality. We've drawn three games on the bounce. It's a draw and scrape mentality. 

• Like 1

Southgate looks like a frightened rabbit in the headlights and England's performances have been abysmal. Despite some "positive spin" it's patently obvious we're way off being world class. We've seen and heard it all before. Remember the "golden generation" of the early 2000s? A young team packed full of the best talent that was going to conquer the world. We didn't and we won't again. Fact is, there's more hype than substance. Southgate is as dull as dishwater and increasingly suffering from a seige mentality. He needs to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Are you talking about Latics??

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

1-1

0-0

1-1 

Got through the knockout game in extra time.

Bloody hell, I thought we won 2-1. We've been a hard watch up to now but I must pay more attention. Didn't realise extra time doesn't count.

4 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

1-1

0-0

1-1 

Got through the knockout game in extra time.

Good to hear we managed to draw the Euro 2020 final! I always thought we lost that game.

• Like 1